• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Week's New Haruhi Episode Now Streaming on YouTube

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well that's great for those that understand Japanese, for those that don't (like me) I suppose we'll just have to enjoy the pretty moving pictures and figure out stuff from there. I really am hoping that this will be legally streamed in subs...soon. I haven't really touched fansubs since around mid-January and I'd rather not start up again; it's addicting.
Twilight Elk

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
Well that's great for those that understand Japanese, for those that don't (like me) I suppose we'll just have to enjoy the pretty moving pictures and figure out stuff from there. I really am hoping that this will be legally streamed in subs...soon. I haven't really touched fansubs since around mid-January and I'd rather not start up again; it's addicting.

There are fansubs already out for the episode; AnimeSuki should have them posted under 'Haruhi Suzumiya 2009'.

Really good episode Smile
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
This news is meaningless if there is no legal sub.

It's like they're taunting us...
Lann

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I take it they aired Mysterique Sign today then?
MRLN

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
You could also watch the less-than-legal sub, it's also on Youtube. Just search "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody sub". I love this part of the 9-volume story, so I can't wait for July and August when the "disappearance" arc happens.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
MRLN wrote:
You could also watch the less-than-legal sub, it's also on Youtube. Just search "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody sub". I love this part of the 9-volume story, so I can't wait for July and August when the "disappearance" arc happens.

I don't want to watch it legally, but after Kadokawa subbed Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san, it seems wrong that they'd only show Haruhi raw.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so I've left some comments on the episode page on YouTube decrying the fact that it's just in raw Japanese, and I keep getting told to "shut up and enjoy it" and "do you realize how laborious that is?...blah blah blah". Well I gotta say Bandai dropped the ball on this one, which is rather disappointing considering their speed dubs of Gurren Lagann and Kurokami. They COULD have gotten together with Kadokawa and pulled an FMA:Brotherhood or done what Crunchyroll does, and produced legal subs, also attaching their name as the US distributor of the new Haruhi project. Now the only way to watch with subtitles is via fansubs, which there are plenty of floating around on YouTube, though broken into 3 parts. For new episodes, they should appear the Thursday before the Kadokawa posting. (8 appeared on May 21; 12 should appear on June 19.) I don't usually advocate watching fansubs, but I'm afraid this time unless you're fluent in Japanese it's the only way to go--at least for now.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
MRLN wrote:

I don't want to watch it legally, but after Kadokawa subbed Haruhi-chan and Churuya-san, it seems wrong that they'd only show Haruhi raw.

I assume you meant illegally. Wink And I agree, it would be great to have a 100% legal way of watching Haruhi. As of right now, if you really can't wait, I recommend a download-and-delete use of fansubs (i.e. don't keep them, just watch them once, then delete and don't distribute them). Hopefully someone will get on the ball with this in the future and have it subtitled online.
Sirgil Grey

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Sad to say I found the new episode very compressed and unsatisfying.

For something that was so heavily hinted at in Kyon and Haruhi's 'first' meeting, it seemed a little 'so what?' by the end.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
It's not meaningless news. Its new of a legal stream of a series less then a week after it was released on TV. Yeah no subs but its a step forward

Also they are saying stuff. It's not gibberish. You won't learn enough to do your own subs or work as a translator but watching enough anime should help you pick up on the general stuff. Depending on the types of series you watch and how many you watch, concepts and ideas blend together and lines get reused and some words come back more often. It takes a while but you pick up things and sentence structures. Like the first dialogue in the episode. Alot of repeated words and phrasing. Basically Haruhi is having Kyon guess what day it is and Kyon who doesn't really care goes for the default answers of a birthday. You can kind of pick that up without knowing any japanese and based solely on their behavior. Then you figure out what they are trying to say.

Like I said its not the best, most effective way to learn and no matter what you or others might thing its no subsitute for actual classes or learning guides. But that doesn't mean you still don't learn anything using this method. Just enough so 1) you know enough to get whats going on and 2) you know enough so your eyes aren't always glued to the bottom of the screen reading.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm crossing my fingers that Kadokawa Anime will put up an official sub of the series on their channel eventually. Until then,I'll stick to fansubs.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:
I'm crossing my fingers that Kadokawa Anime will put up an official sub of the series on their channel eventually. Until then,I'll stick to fansubs.

Same here. Love to see SOMEONE pick it up. Maybe Crunchyroll might get it. Who knows.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Well I gotta say Bandai dropped the ball on this one.

THIS. Aren't the other companies paying attention to what Funimation is doing ... and how successful it is?

Come on, folks ...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
My friend is really enjoyed the first Haruhi season, noticed a diffrence in art and the fact the opening was much diffrent. Average is his opinion of the first episode ( he watched it Raw because he actually understands Japanese.)

But I'd be pointing the blame at Kadokawa before I blame Bandai. Because afterall, Kadokawa did make fans wait for three years straight.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Well Kadokawa, you've forced me to watch the fansubs, which I really didn't want to do. Better hurry up with those legal subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3