• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guin Saga (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
I wrote:
I was hoping he would go harness some sand worms or something and turn them loose on the Mongol troops

Yes! I was so happy in episode 7 when spoiler[they released the Ido. I was like, "take that bitchesss!"] And as much as I don't like the fact that everyone keeps telling the princess to go back to her princessy duties, I think it's less because she's a woman and more because she's never actually fought in battle. If she tried it out for once and gained some combat experience her troops might respect her more. Right now she's just a dainty noble with lots of strategy training. I also liked Guin's line about the judgment of Nospherus.

Astreas is quickly becoming my least-favorite character as he tessellates between rigid doe-eyed devotion to "hime-sama" and whiny wailing over the death of a friend in battle. What a loser.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 8-10 were good, especially episode 10 with another deus ex machina. This show has a lot of strengths, such as the fast, even pacing, interesting characters who buck stereotypes, and a cool variety of cultures.

The problem with the fast pace is that there hasn't been much time for character development. I don't know what Guin is thinking by claiming to be spoiler[the messenger of Akura. I don't think he's simply using the title to control the Lagos, but I can't tell if he believes he's "the savior" or whatever. It's kind of disconcerting never knowing what he's thinking--and I also would have preferred him to win his fight against Doudou.] Meanwhile, the twins haven't gotten development since the first or second episode when we establish who they are, and see how they react in the face of danger. Since then, it's been blind, useless devotion to Guin and running around in those ridiculous outfits which immediately identify them as royalty.

Istavan and the Mongol princess have actually gotten the best development so far. We recently saw another side of the princess--spoiler[how she's not so brave beneath that steel exterior]--and in the second to last episode she lost someone close to her, and that made her lose her head. Meanwhile, Istavan's development was subtle but noteworthy in these last few episodes. He's not the mercenary with a heart of gold, he had almost no problem spoiler[getting close to Marus and then killing him. As for his reasoning when they're outnumbered and he high-tails it, I almost would have preferred that to his actually going back. I didn't understand his reasoning about Rinda though; did he really think she was 100% going to survive without him or Guin being there? That was really risky, which perhaps shows why he went back.]

And unfortunately, it seems that creepy and annoying Astreas is going to be around for a while. I hope he either improves soon or gets killed.

Anyway, here's to hoping for some downtime after this arc.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, Guin Saga is the second "epic" show that disappointed me, after Tytania. Although I must admit that Tytania was worse Smile

What annoyed me about episode 6 and 7 is that the "huge" army of the Mon...gaul or something never seems really big. They just get bashed and bashed and then a small part attacks or something. I can't see how they could win this fight.
I must admit that I really like Guin, Amnelis (who reminds me of that woman from the Berserk manga) and Rinda, and I could cope with Remus I guess. But Astreas with his "NOOOO my best friend who only now has got a name" pisses me off even more than Sunni, who is just... there.
I will watch until episode ten if I have the time, I guess, because not all hope is lost. The first six episodes were really good, so maybe it gets back on the track I like again.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
(I've been working a lot,so I haven't replied yet.But) Make no mistake,I've been watching the subs since they were first released and loved it.I know of Guin's history through Miura,who mentioned he was a fan of the novels when he made BERSERK.I couldn't help but be attracted to anything that influenced BERSERK.Like the anime lemming that I am,I instantly loved Guin.Just like Guts,Guin is a total badass.<---More of this high fantasy please. Laughing

Episode 1-9 :spoiler[How is a cheesy 70's beginning,instant cliched prince and princess duo (parents:King and Queen killed of in the first 30 sec.) running away from enemy kingdom,who gives chase and also happens to be on a greed quest for total domination,somehow losing the prince and princess just before they so happen to befriend a mysterious (as well as amnesiac) leopard headed stranger,who doesn't know who he is,let alone why he is there,and why he had absolutely no problem with hammering down a few piddly Mongul soldiers into the ground,just to get captured inevitably by them in the end,sound for a series? ]

By the thousand ears of JARN! Sign me up! Very Happy I am down for the Guin Saga.

Episode 10:spoiler[ Damn,I knew it.I had a feeling Guin was going to stay in Nospherus.It's too bad.I was hoping Guin was going to continue wandering around until he found what he was looking for.Or possibly regained enough memory to continue looking for .... what ever.Entertain us dammit.]

One thing I'll mention is that not only am I hardcore otaku,I'm a Pen and Paper RPG freak as well.Dungeons and Dragons (surprised?) was where I learned a ton of monster lore,growing up.Names,items,weapons,weaknesses,power ups,relics,maps,dungeons all these skills were developed from DnD.Which eventually turned into the cyberpunk fantasy Shadowrun.

Anyway,in Guin Saga I've noticed that they name drop.A lot.Like we were supposed to have read the novels before hand,to know and cheer when little things became cameos.There also seems to be a lot more going on than this story has led us. And,I would hope it would.I don't want to see this series become a short,niche project.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 12 and 13 were some of the best yet as we approach political intrigue.

First of all I thought Naris is the twins' brother, so why is he engaged to Rinda? Is he not their brother, or are they going for the incest angle?

And way to go Naris! spoiler[Amnelis really deserves the mindfuck she got. It's the least bit of revenge Naris can get for having his entire kingdom destroyed and his family ripped apart. I wonder if they'll actually get married-it sounds like Remus might be the one to mess up Mongaul's plans when he seizes the throne.

Several really important characters were introduced in these episodes, including the character we've heard a lot about but have never met-Lord Skarl. Also Aldeen, the twins' half-brother who Naris somehow knows about and obviously gets along with. Hmmm.

So if Amnelis is the Princess of Light is she going to marry Istavan?
And talk about drastic changes-what happened to Remus? Is he possessed and he'll revert, or was the demon permanently unleashed within him? I think I like him better this way, and if he ever got nicer he'd be perfect.
]

So many threads are being born in the story that it's a little bit crazy. The only element I think is suffering in the show is character interaction. They're either saying really obviously deep, cryptic things to each other or having ridiculous reactions like Amnelis' overblown swooning and Astreas' hair-sniffing.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

First of all I thought Naris is the twins' brother, so why is he engaged to Rinda? Is he not their brother, or are they going for the incest angle?

Yeah, it had me surprised me, too. I can't check right now, but I think Aldo Naris is Rinda and Remus's cousin (their fathers are brothers (?)). Apparently, they use to call him "onii-chan" being the elder family member, and the prospective marriage between Naris and Rinda seems to subserve political aspirations than romantic.

As for Marius, he is Naris's brother, but from a concubine or something within those lines - which was also kind of surprising given the fact they seem to work together, instead of scheming against each other (as expected in many cases).
Now, Naris and Marius look slightly ambitious lads. I wonder if there is more to that in relation to Parros and the throne succession in the royal family.

I am actually pleased the series picked up a different direction. (The end of the Nospherus arc was disgustingly shounen Smile) The twins swapped appeal along the way - Rinda is getting on my nerves with her being a busy fangirl of Guin or petting Sunni, while the casual useless emo, Remus, began to score possession, obssession, and jealosy, mimicing self-awareness of a future king. ) (...Let's just hope it was Jarn's light at the end of the tunnel Very Happy)
PolakDave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
So there's been a few new places introduced in the last episode. Until I stumbled on this thread, I didn't know it was based off of a novel series, so I'm pretty happy that it's going to continue past the 26 episodes it's set to have... Then again, I'm hoping it doesn't drag on, or have stupid things like "Super Fantastic Pyramid Formations" like in Code Geass: Season 2. lol.

What do you guys think of all spoiler[ the romance that's just happened in the last few episodes? Skarl, Istovan, and Naris all have themselves broads. It's pretty expected that Rinda wouldn't be with Guin, since he's a giant, and probably doesn't want her]

And I want Istovan to win a couple of fights for himself for a change, lol.
Kav

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys. I finished watching this anime a month ago, and I was impressed with the quality and found it interesting. I hope there's a second season.

I started working on a site in December and got a lot done, but was wondering if anyone else was interested in helping build it (anyone who's a fan of the series). I'm aiming to make a comprehensive Guin Saga site for not just the anime, but the light novels and 2 manga, as well as anything else related. If anyone's interested, please send me a private message here.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
So, apparently at their panel this weekend at C2E2, Aniplex let it slip that Sentai had acquired the rights to Guin Saga.

So far, it's just a blip and no one has received confirmation from Sentai or Section 23, so it's hard to say if it's true or not.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
If this were true, it wouldn't surprise me; in fact, I'm kinda surprised it has gone this long without being licensed. It's essentially Western-styled fantasy anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I heard that earlier today. I wonder if they'll be doing a dub for it, given the trailer was dubbed from what I recall [correct me if I'm wrong on that]. Either way, I'll be adding it to my collection as I liked the novels/manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4