• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Dark Pucelle by Enterbrain

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meimi132

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh La Pucelle.

And lol that you didn't know where Unity Mei came from.

I'd prefer the Prier figure. Tho she's equally as weird lol. With her crazy legs... lol Better than clamp-stick figures anyday though.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Rob wrote:
Sure, we might giggle that Ghost in the Shell’s Motoko Kusanagi is wearing lingerie while she's on active police duty initially, but none of the other characters in the anime notice or care, and eventually we stop noticing and forget about it. When it comes to anime and videogame fantasies, we get the belt and buckle-laden kids of Final Fantasy and the like, and never think anything of it. And then non-anime fans see what the characters are wearing and think we're all insane.

Thank you so much for pointing that out. Those popular character designs, regardless of genre, medium, and region, never cease to amaze me by coming out with ridiculous costume designs. On Ghost in the Shell TV, I wonder how do they got away with such outfit design with serious storyline and believable worldview. Of course, this crazy outfit design applies to American superhero characters as well. I remember my art instructor said similar thing about Superman. He said something like, Superman's world must be a whacked up place to live because people accept a guy in a circus outfit flying around and saving the day.

Oh that reminds me. Anyone wants to list ridiculous outfits from any medium? Animation, video game, comic, it doesn't matter. I have few.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Rob wrote:
Sure, we might giggle that Ghost in the Shell’s Motoko Kusanagi is wearing lingerie while she's on active police duty initially, but none of the other characters in the anime notice or care, and eventually we stop noticing and forget about it. When it comes to anime and videogame fantasies, we get the belt and buckle-laden kids of Final Fantasy and the like, and never think anything of it. And then non-anime fans see what the characters are wearing and think we're all insane.

Thank you so much for pointing that out. Those popular character designs, regardless of genre, medium, and region, never cease to amaze me by coming out with ridiculous costume designs. On Ghost in the Shell TV, I wonder how do they got away with such outfit design with serious storyline and believable worldview.

Easy, Motoko doesn't care about things like modesty. She has a lot of disconnect between her "Ghost" and her "Shell". So, while it's a little jarring, and one does have to wonder about dress code policy (Not that I assume much from Section 9 there) realistically she doesn't care that much about what happens with her body. Plus there's a lot of freedom of movement with that outfit.

As to ridiculous outfits, there are almost certainly too many to count.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
I too think it's a sad fact that some anime fans such as us feel relief when they add a bit of meat to the ladies. Real Drive is a good example of character design that meets this criteria, but it's bolstered by having really good character designs from the out-set, which reduces my shame caused by my own satisfaction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:

Easy, Motoko doesn't care about things like modesty. She has a lot of disconnect between her "Ghost" and her "Shell". So, while it's a little jarring, and one does have to wonder about dress code policy (Not that I assume much from Section 9 there) realistically she doesn't care that much about what happens with her body. Plus there's a lot of freedom of movement with that outfit.

I think they must have addressed this in 2nd Gig, because in that series Kusanagi still wears the leotard, but adds a pair of pants and a jacket.

As to the figure, I rather like it. Too pricey, I think, but I still like it.
red255

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
just posting to add that the 'clothes too small' is a fetish

perhaps not as common as the lightsaber and metal gauntlets fetish.

and the swimsuit... er... used to think it was a leotard or something from the game's cover art (which gave everyone stockings)

and also made more sense than a swim suit. Fighting in a nighty or a leotard made sense to me. a swimsuit, not as much, because she couldn't enter water.... despite wearing a swimsuit and floating.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:

Let's not assume that her character decide how she dressed. What I meant was why character designer and director accepted her crazy outfit as normal clothing when she could have the same flexibility with regular clothing. Of course she wears pants on 2nd series. If the show was a comedy, she could get away with crazy outfit. I wonder animation makers did "monkey see, monkey do" on TV series all because the manga character dressed pretty much the same way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2