• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Not Streaming from Funimation.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
It isn't theft...so the analogies, again, are pretty bad.

You're comparing the first act, accessing the file through URL modification, which isn't theft and most likely doesn't open someone up any criminal or civil liability, to acts of theft even after stating that it was "all over for him" once he or she stepped into copyright infringement...and that the access wasn't a big deal.

So not only are the analogies bad, they aren't even internally consistent.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
good god

How dense can a person be

HE UPLOADED THE VIDEO TO A TORRENT!

That's COPYRIGHT VIOLATION NO MATTER WHAT!

Let alone the videos where not supposed to be viewable (poor security not withstanding) which would apparently make it a criminal case.
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
FaytLein, that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that FUNimation pretty much broke their own contract with Toei not to put One Piece up for distribution until one hour after episode airing. Also, stealing analogies are wrong as this is still copyright infringement, which is, once again, not stealing. See the closed box analogy from my earlier post if you want an accurate analogy of the situation.

Charred Knight, if "the videos where not supposed to be viewable", FUNimation should have made it so, but they had made the videos completely viewable to the public and one could think this is the case just by accident due to FUNimation's own stupidity. Nobody is denying the copyright infringement part by putting it up for torrent distribution, but really, stop defending FUNimation here. They failed due to their own stupidity and are completely to blame for making this leak possible in the first place. Had they had even simple security measures this would have been completely avoided, but no, they knew that their files have been downloaded beforehand, they knew about the rippers, they knew people had been releasing their streaming episodes before their actual airing, and they had still done absolutely nothing to secure them by any means. Up until know, FUNimation didn't care that their files were getting constantly leaked. Only now when Toei got pissed off about they give the image to the public that they would have "strict security measures" and actually care about the situation, but this is obviously not the real case here.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
I just found out in another forum that Funimation recently Twittered this:

http://twitter.com/funimation/status/1995256839

A ray of hope for the timely appearance of FMA:B #9, methinks?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
o.k I am tired of this

I am tired of talking to people who don't seem to understand that they are depriving Oda of money. That's the thing I don't understand if you like One Piece so much why the hell do you feel to need to rip Oda off. I mean theirs a reason the One Piece manga has never sold well, and that's because most of its fans don't buy a thing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
good god

How dense can a person be

HE UPLOADED THE VIDEO TO A TORRENT!

That's COPYRIGHT VIOLATION NO MATTER WHAT!

Let alone the videos where not supposed to be viewable (poor security not withstanding) which would apparently make it a criminal case.

I don't think anyone ever claimed that uploading that episodes was not copyright violation. It is, and there's no argument about that. What people are saying is that the person who downloaded the file from the server did not hack his way in. He just...went in. In order to hack something, you must bypass the security. If there's no security, you can't really hack it. You just get it.

Also, nobody knows who was the one who uploaded the torrent, as it seems that there were many people who dowloaded from the server. It would be stupid to accuse everyone of uploading the episode, because it can't be proven, and it's a loosing battle from the start.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I don't think anyone ever claimed that uploading that episodes was not copyright violation. It is, and there's no argument about that. What people are saying is that the person who downloaded the file from the server did not hack his way in. He just...went in. In order to hack something, you must bypass the security. If there's no security, you can't really hack it. You just get it.

Also, nobody knows who was the one who uploaded the torrent, as it seems that there were many people who dowloaded from the server. It would be stupid to accuse everyone of uploading the episode, because it can't be proven, and it's a loosing battle from the start.

My problem is when people began making excuses for the person, basically placing the blame entirely on Funimation, while making the person who uploaded the file to be some average joe who would have done the same thing as any of us would.

I wouldn't, I would have made some E-mail to someone to fix it. To me it shows just how far the anime fandom has fallen when the normal person would download a stream and then upload it.
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote
But the leak was entirely FUNimation's fault as they were the ones who leaked. Everything the torrent creators did was distribute information about the leak and most likely performed copyright infringement in the process by seeding the torrent(s) for the file.

FUNimation has been leaking content before and people have spread their leaked content before too, this is just the first time when FUNi is actually suffering consequences for their constant leaking.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
But the leak was entirely FUNimation's fault as they were the ones who leaked. Everything the torrent creators did was distribute information about the leak and most likely performed copyright infringement in the process by seeding the torrent(s) for the file.

FUNimation has been leaking content before and people have spread their leaked content before too, this is just the first time when FUNi is actually suffering consequences for their constant leaking.

So?

What the hell are you arguing

If someone has poor security that its entirely their own fault when I steal something, and I should be completely blameless for stealing it?

No it's not
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
Look, by downloading a file that FUNimation owns the legal rights to distribute and that they have made public is not stealing and is completely legal. After all, you do the exact same thing when you watch it on their site, download the video file to your HDD.

FUNimation did not have any security in their streaming service, no, not even "poor security". There was absolutely no security at all.

The only one to blame for something is FUNimation for breaching their contract with Toei by distributing the file earlier than what has been agreed on.

And to repeat, downloading the file from FUNimation's servers is and wasn't illegal.

The only illegal thing is redistributing copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright holder, and only seeding the torrent for the file would fulfill that.

In short, your "stealing due to poor security" is a completely incorrect analogy that does not fit this situation at all.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Look, by downloading a file that FUNimation owns the legal rights to distribute and that they have made public is not stealing and is completely legal. After all, you do the exact same thing when you watch it on their site, download the video file to your HDD.

FUNimation did not have any security in their streaming service, no, not even "poor security". There was absolutely no security at all.

The only one to blame for something is FUNimation for breaching their contract with Toei by distributing the file earlier than what has been agreed on.

And to repeat, downloading the file from FUNimation's servers is and wasn't illegal.

The only illegal thing is redistributing copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright holder, and only seeding the torrent for the file would fulfill that.

In short, your "stealing due to poor security" is a completely incorrect analogy that does not fit this situation at all.

Which he did

So please stop posting about crap that never happened.

Please for the love of god stop posting

Honestly, I haven't seen posts this stupid since I got my start on a pokemon forum 10 years ago, and even rarely did post get this stupid.
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
The subject of the discussion was the act of downloading the file, not the illegal redistribution of it. I never denied it happened. I originally gave an example how one could have spread information about the leak without breaking any laws to make a point that the only one completely responsible for the leak is none other than FUNimation. They leaked the content themselves, not some "hacker that compromised their servers even though FUNimation has strict security standards". Their claims are 100% false, and FUNimation is 100% at fault for the leak. The only thing anyone else has done is redistribution of copyrighted content without the permission of the copyright owner, which is the same situation as with any fansub release out there. The leak was not caused by them by any means, they only (illegally) distributed content that had been already leaked. The leak was completely FUNimation's own fault.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
In this case the hammer would come down on FUNimation though, as they were making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public and I'm fairly sure that they knew that the work was intended for commercial distribution. If anything, FUNimation is in exactly as much fault as the torrent distributor is, if not even more for making the torrent distribution possible in the first place.

If Funimation had published the URL to announce the stream's existence as publicly available then you'd be correct. Since they didn't, you just remain wrong.
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Except the act of simply making it publicly available is enough to fulfill the definition of "making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public". The link to the file doesn't have to be widely known, in fact it's completely irrelevant for fulfilling this particular definition. The file was available on a computer network accessible to members of the public. Period.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
According to FUNi's Twitter account:

"Today we are implementing addional security for all videos. When this is in place, we will reactivate FMA. We're sorry for the inconvenience. What's next for One Piece is still to be determined. We will definitely keep you guys updated as information becomes available."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7