• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 16

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The review said that you can rejoin the show after the fillers without so much as a hiccup, but thats not quite true; some of the filler characters stick around in the show after their arc is over, and take part in the karakura town battles later in the series.

That said, they aren't important enough to bother forcing yourself to watch these episodes. Bleach has slightly better than average fillers, but thats not saying much
ankoku22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bleach was never a work of scalding originality, and likely never will be, but prior to entering Filler Land, it at least had the sense not to lift its plots wholesale from other sources.

After the filler ends, some of the later canon material spoiler[seems to borrow a page from Mel Brooks. The whole "let's create a fake city so that the real one doesn't get destroyed" thing in the current arc reminds me of "Blazing Saddles". Laughing ]

Thumbs up on the review. ^^
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
did they really think they could get away with cannibalizing Yu Yu Hakusho?

Yes - the young generation it's primarily aimed at has probably never seen Yu Yu Hakusho (or has only seen part of it).

The Bounto arc (or however you spell it) wasn't very good, but it was at least fun, sort of like a well-written fan fiction. Not as good as the original show, but bearable, sometimes even enjoyable.
boznia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, Abe and his crew are all hoary veterans of shonen entertainment, and the experience shows. Even when pulling a story-arc from their rears (or their back-catalogs), they have the skills and the smarts to make it feel as if it belongs. The action is stylish, and stylistically uniform, and the angst is unsubtle and the jokes funny (Kon-cruelty never gets old). The new characters (three bizarrely-clad yet bizarrely cool villains) really look like a part of the cast, and the extended structure of the fights—or in this case head-games—is perfectly in keeping with the series' usual narrative stride. In other words, the Bount story-arc is, at least for now, a very reasonable facsimile of a typical Bleach arc.
I'll agree that the story and the new characters felt like they fit within the Bleach universe, but I have to mention that the character designs for the main characters were all over the place for the first couple of episodes or so of the Bount arc. Chad and Orihime's designs (among others) varied quite a bit, if I remember correctly.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
The Bount arc?

Long?

Are you kidding me?

Compared to the Soul Society arc,which dragged on and on without getting anywhere for roughly 60 episodes,this arc was hardly long.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
At least Viz has upped the dvd release schedule from one every two months to once a month for Bleach. Hopefully they'll get through this arc pretty quickly. I'll probably pick it up myself once it gets released in a box set.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Compared to the Soul Society arc,which dragged on and on without getting anywhere for roughly 60 episodes,this arc was hardly long.

Um, A) the SS arc was only 43 episodes long, and B) it had far more of an impact on the story, by advancing the characters and introducing new ones, than the Bount arc did obviously.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
R.G. wrote:

Um, A) the SS arc was only 43 episodes long, and B) it had far more of an impact on the story, by advancing the characters and introducing new ones.

I will agree on the introduction of new characters,but as for the rest,it didn't seem that way to me.It took Ichigo and co. over 40 episodes to accomplish what could have been done in 10,namely,rescue Rukia.

I could go on,but you get my point.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
I will agree on the introduction of new characters,but as for the rest,it didn't seem that way to me.It took Ichigo and co. over 40 episodes to accomplish what could have been done in 10,namely,rescue Rukia.

In 43 episodes, they:

spoiler[-rescued Rukia
-brought Ichigo to captain level
-resolved the "Aizen" plot
-introduced most of the captains/lieutenants
-addressed the backstories of Rukia, Renji, Momo, Tousen, etc.
-made advancements on Ishida's story
-went further into Yourichi and Urahara's story
-had some excellent fights (it is shonen, after all)]
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
R.G. wrote:

In 43 episodes, they:

spoiler[-rescued Rukia
-brought Ichigo to captain level
-resolved the "Aizen" plot
-introduced most of the captains/lieutenants
-addressed the backstories of Rukia, Renji, Momo, Tousen, etc.
-made advancements on Ishida's story
-went further into Yourichi and Urahara's story
-had some excellent fights (it is shonen, after all)]

Like I said,they could have done all that in less than 10 episodes,but for some reason,the producers decided to drag the whole thing out.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Like I said,they could have done all that in less than 10 episodes,but for some reason,the producers decided to drag the whole thing out.

You have clearly no idea how to pace a story. Had they attempted to cram that much stuff into 10 episodes, it would have been rushed, shallow, and slapshod.

They might have been able to condense the story into, say, 30 episodes (there was some extra stuff they added in) but then the filler arc would have had to be even longer to let the manga catch up.

And at least in their anime adaptations, for Bleach, just about any arc feels shorter than the ones in Naruto. Perhaps its the lack of repetitive tree-jumping loops? Regardless, for series like these I've long ago preferred to read simply read the manga.
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
I didn't know one of the guys behind YuYu was also working on Bleach.
Arrowfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
My issue in this is calling the Bount arc a filler. Just because they are not telling the story you wish they would ie the pursuit of Aizen does not make it a filler arc/season. The person who wrote the review should know what consist of filler and what doesn't. Thru out the Bount arc you see the characters grow, and the writers are laying the ground work of what will be key story points later on in the series. If you want to see filler look to the later episodes they are so FULL of filler it is not even funny(come on is it really necessary to have a recap before the title song then another right after?) over 1/3 of the 25 minute episode is recap, music, and previews. I can't remember the episode number(mid 100's if I remember right) but I clocked it there was exactly 13 minutes of NEW content! now that is filler.

Sub note I hope ViZ will put together the Bleach shorts on the DVD's one day.
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot wrote:
My issue in this is calling the Bount arc a filler. Just because they are not telling the story you wish they would ie the pursuit of Aizen does not make it a filler arc/season. The person who wrote the review should know what consist of filler and what doesn't. Thru out the Bount arc you see the characters grow, and the writers are laying the ground work of what will be key story points later on in the series. If you want to see filler look to the later episodes they are so FULL of filler it is not even funny(come on is it really necessary to have a recap before the title song then another right after?) over 1/3 of the 25 minute episode is recap, music, and previews. I can't remember the episode number(mid 100's if I remember right) but I clocked it there was exactly 13 minutes of NEW content! now that is filler.

Sub note I hope ViZ will put together the Bleach shorts on the DVD's one day.

I think you're the one who doesn't know what filler means. The Bleach manga is run at one chapter a week in Japan, and the average anime covers about 3 chapters a week, more or less. There are no tv seasons in Japan, so the show doesn't ever stop. It's going to catch up eventually. So when it gets too close the writers of the show add an extra story arc after one ends. The manga stays on course, and eventually they go back to it. The extra arc is considered filler.
Faceman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Arrowfoot wrote:
The person who wrote the review should know what consist of filler and what doesn't.

You might want to learn yourself. When you have an anime that draws its story from another source, in this case a manga, anything in the show that doesn't have a base in the original source is considered "filler." The bount arc didn't happen in the manga. They go from returning from Soul Society to Shinji showing up. Anything in between those points in the anime is filler (maybe some exceptions). All of season 9 of Bleach is filler too. And there's individual episodes that are filler too, even if they take part in a non-filler arc.

Filler doesn't mean something you think is unnecessary or is fluff, or doesn't contribute to the story or character development, or parts that aren't good. That's all subjective. Filler is just a technical term for anything not derived from the source material. Since the bount arc isn't in the manga, it's filler. Hell, you could probably call the last 1/2 of the first FMA series filler and it'd be accurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3