• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-05]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully there won't be a need for anymore fansubs, that's what I think of the future of video streaming. The only thing is, to make it successful, they've got to take away those damn region restrictions.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before I get into any sort of speculation: seriously, f*** that guy. That guy that wormed his way through Funimation's servers and gained access to the episode's video file and then posted it for other like-minded leeches. F*** him.

Does the paragraph above mean that illegal distributor actually installed a worm into FUNimation's server, not just filename guessing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad that "Adam" is not in charge of an anime company as any North American anime distributor that goes "Digital Distribution"-only will be dead to me as I am and will always be only interested in buying anime in a pre-packaged physical format.

Also, I've seen La Maison en Petits Cubes and I've seen all of K-On! so far (well, not this week's episode yet, but otherwise) and, honestly... I prefer K-On! Sorry, its cuteness is addictive and I'm a philistine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
If more streaming can look like YouTube's HD quality for the full ~25 minutes of an episode, in one load, than yeah, streaming will be pretty awesome. This is also assuming the upload is at the same time or close to the Japanese air time. Yeah it's a tough demand, but that's really the only thing I can see that will rival what I get out of fansubs.

Of course, this is only for new shows. I'll still always be downloading fansubs for older things, stuff that has never been and never will be licensed.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I would say streaming would have been a decent idea if it weren't so damn simple to right click,download,save,edit and distribute.If anything they just brought everything to them on a silver platter.Just think what will happen when everyone has access to cable internet.
Shocked

Brian wrote:
I probably couldn't help myself if they released Ranma ½ in Blu-Ray, but that show isn't quite predicated on having striking visuals and vibrant colors, so I'm okay with just having the DVDs handy.
Hells yes my friend.I'm down for when they do that.

Brian wrote:
Seriously, what's a guy gotta do to earn some earnest hate-mail
I might write in.Just to counter some of your ridiculous use of words that no one would get caught using outside of a Jeopardy tournament,Nerdlinger.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
The only people I know online that actually hate me are King Hippo at Toonzone and the entirety of 4chan, and 4chan doesn't really count because they hate everybody and everything that isn't a lonely, depressed 16-year old girl on a webcam.

Who's King Hippo?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Like i've said in the 20 other threads the One Piece guy- I don't really care all that much. I get legal streams were available but hey- these are the people you all said can't wait for the show to get picked up and viewed legally. ..do you think a couple days is any different?

Does that make it right? Depends on your morals. I don't care it was posted- i'm not applauding the guy but I don't feel what he did was bad. It was a good thing- Funimation could have improved their security and moved on. But they didn't.

I feel like One Piece won't be back until weeks after Funi gets their security together- they'll probably want to see proof its set.
It seems like the show didn't suffer much in Japan and that to me came across as the biggest concern.

The role of streaming anime? I think it'll get bigger. Someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
One reason newer fans like me (one of the Spirited Away crowd) don't discuss or watch independent and art anime directors is that we don't know about them. I don't know who they are, what they've done, or where to get them. I do a happy dance whenever Buried Treasure comes out because I get a chance to see another gem. I search CrunchyRoll for the few older and avant garde pieces they have up. Other than that, I haven't the slightest idea where to look.

I'm really excited by to hear there's a blog devoted to this subject. I've already bookmarked it. If anyone else knows of online resources, please do mention them.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
I can certainly agree with that.

I also appreciate any pointers about the more experimental animators and where to find additional information about them. I don't think any less of their work than I do about commercial anime products, at least not preemptively, but I've simply had far less exposure to it outside of occasional, all too rare exceptions.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Brian, you actually bought the extremely pricey Wings of Honneamise DVD/Blu-Ray combo set? Can I borrow it? It's one of my favorite anime movies, but there's no way I'm shelling out 80 bucks to get it.

I guess there's always still my dub-only VHS copy. Yurgh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Brian wrote:
I probably couldn't help myself if they released Ranma ½ in Blu-Ray, but that show isn't quite predicated on having striking visuals and vibrant colors, so I'm okay with just having the DVDs handy.
Hells yes my friend.I'm down for when they do that.

On the plus side, they'd probably be able to fit one season per blu-ray disc. Think of the shelf space you could reclaim!

I also agree with Tenchi regarding digital distribution. As it currently exists it will not replace buying physical media for me. Probably one day we'll get to a point where we will be able to download HD-quality shows directly to a hard drive linked to our unnecessarily large televisions, but even then I'll be worried about backing up the episodes to removable discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
I concur: F*** that guy. I hope FUNi finds him and kicks his ass. There's no way the R1 companies should go down because of lax security and immoral bastards.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
Before I get into any sort of speculation: seriously, f*** that guy. That guy that wormed his way through Funimation's servers and gained access to the episode's video file and then posted it for other like-minded leeches. F*** him.

Does the paragraph above mean that illegal distributor actually installed a worm into FUNimation's server, not just filename guessing?

Wormed, means... Like... squiggled.

EDIT:

Also, who is King Hippo and why does he hate Brian?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm just glad that "Adam" is not in charge of an anime company as any North American anime distributor that goes "Digital Distribution"-only will be dead to me as I am and will always be only interested in buying anime in a pre-packaged physical format.

I'm pretty much the same way. Barring every company going digital only, I'm going to keep buying physical media. Collecting wouldn't be the same.

Also, I agree with Brian about the whole Funimation business. I've restrained myself from commenting so far, but I thought I'd say that yeah Funi shouldn't have put something where it was publicly available, but Brian is right. Had the guy gotten a hold of it and kept it for himself then fine he found a hole, who cares. However, putting it up like that was the problem. Even IF he thought it was ok to get something early, torrenting it was obviously not.

That said, I think Toei and Funi will be able to continue. This was one episode and both are still experimenting so why throw it away so soon? It is a real shame that this happened though. The Japanese companies are essentially scared of the internet, and I know the R1 companies had to work hard to get them on board.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Time to offer my two of your mortal cents on this column:

--Adam's changes to an anime company: Digital distribution will NEVER replace physical media. People will always want hard copies that they can display on their shelves instead of video files on their computers. You can't give someone a video file for Christmas or their birthday, nor can you display them on your shelves. Furthermore, if the anime industry went to total digital distribution, what'll people do, buy terabyte drives that can ultimately crash and burn? If you don't back anything up in case of hard drive failure, you're fucked, and then you have to download all that stuff all over again.

--The One Piece guy: Granted, I haven't been keeping up on One Piece (I gave up on it after ep 29 due to its DBZ-like pacing), but I'm still outraged all the same about Toei and FUNimation pulling the plug on streaming new episodes! And the industry wonders why people turn to fansubs! How do you expect people to support you if you don't give them a means to watch?

Quote:
Brian, you actually bought the extremely pricey Wings of Honneamise DVD/Blu-Ray combo set? Can I borrow it? It's one of my favorite anime movies, but there's no way I'm shelling out 80 bucks to get it.

I guess there's always still my dub-only VHS copy. Yurgh.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a used copy of Manga Entertainment's DVD online. I know I did. (No way I'm paying an arm and a leg for the DVD/Blu-Ray set, especially when I don't even own a Blu-Ray player!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6