• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, June 1-7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Clannad, Kuroshitsuji, Junjou, Hetalia, Toradora... Doing consistently well, so I see. Hope we'll start hearing about licenses soon!
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Evangelion:1.11 You Are (Not) Alone Total copies: 13,943

Now that's interesting. Those oricon lists are the DVD numbers.
A few days ago we had this article:
Eva:1.11 Sells 49,000 in 1st Week as #1 BD So Far

Eva is one of those rare anime that are long-sellers, so the DVD numbers may go up significantly over time, but it's interesting to see the clear preference for BD amongst pre-order/first-day buyers.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Clannad, Kuroshitsuji, Junjou, Hetalia, Toradora... Doing consistently well, so I see. Hope we'll start hearing about licenses soon!

I'm sure you already know, but the majority of the time, especially such titles as you listed, won't get licensed simply because they sell well in Japan.
This is why you'll see stuff like Dragonaut, Blassreiter, etc, shows that flopped in Japan, getting licensed because;
A - They'll be cheap
B - Comapnies mostly license based on western appeal

Not trying to be negative, just take a realistic look on the situation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, Clannad has already been released on DVD in NA. I can't imagine Toradora! not getting a release. Really, the only question is will it be sub only a la Clannad, or will the distrib (which ever company it turns out to be) be smart enough to spring for a dub?
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not necessarily a smart move to release a dub version here as opposed to just a subbed one. In a lot of ways sub-only is better, because it takes less time to release it, more room on the disc for more episodes due to saving space without the dub tracks, and my personal favourite, costs stay low due to not having to pay to support the extra work that goes into making the dub, which the consumer pays for in the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I don't really buy all that. First, I think the fact that Kurokami the Animation is released in a dubbed version one week after its original Japanese broadcast pretty much puts the speed issue to rest once and for all. Of course, it will always take less time to sub as opposed to dub, but it should not be a significant factor in a distrib's decision.

And yes, it is cheaper to sub only versus having to hire VA and other crew for the dub. But frankly, those people don't make a whole bunch of money so its not like the cost of a dub is astronomical compared to a sub.

It's the old story - ya gotta spend money to make money. Naturally, I don't have access to the cold, hard data, but I gotta think that a dubbed product has more of a shot at increased sales versus a sub.

I can offer some anecdotal evidence as well. I took advantage of ANN's streaming of Shikabane Hime to catch the whole series. I really like it and if it gets a sub only release, chances are reasonably good that I will eventually buy it. However, if a DUB comes out my chances go from "reasonably good" to "no doubt in my mind that I'll buy it" because the distrib will be offering me what I consider an important added value: the chance to watch the show without having to read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1