• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII: ACC Was #2 U.S. BD in First Week

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
I remember looking for it and it was actually sold out in quite a few places, so it`s no surprise it was in the top 3 of charts.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Defiance was #1. I'd have considered buying Glory (another great Zwick film) or Inside Man over it, or even Advent Children.

FFVII is vastly overrated, in my opinion. VI is my favorite, then Tactics. And after renting the ACC BD from Netflix, I was surprised at rediscovering how mediocre the story is (Cloud seems so self-victimizing in this one). But the action choreography and animation are amongst the slickest I've ever seen, I'll give it that much.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Wow! This is proof that even in this environment and economy, anime can still be a smashing success!

#1 510k and #2 508k 18-34 for Bleach on [adult swim] Saturday night didn't hurt either, though! 2009 just MIGHT be the year anime turns the corner! Very Happy
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I remember looking for it and it was actually sold out in quite a few places, so it`s no surprise it was in the top 3 of charts.

Hehe, I pre-ordered mine online about a month in advance, so I got it in the mail 3 days after it's release date. I had a feeling this might happen, what with the limited amount of BDs that stores already get for any title, and I knew this was gonna sell well. Better to be safe than sorry. Smile
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Wow! This is proof that even in this environment and economy, anime can still be a smashing success!

#1 510k and #2 508k 18-34 for Bleach on [adult swim] Saturday night didn't hurt either, though! 2009 just MIGHT be the year anime turns the corner! Very Happy

The sad thing is there are people out there who don't even consider this as an anime movie and just think of it as their favorite FF game put into a movie that has events that take place right after the ending to the PS1 game to help continue the story. So in other words people see this as an animated videogame movie rather than a videogame put into an anime movie.

I own both the limited edition dvd and the Blu-ray version and love this movie.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I'm surprised Defiance was #1.

Yeah, it's not really BD material if you ask me. There's only 1 or 2 scenes that's worth the High Definition.

It's not a "bad" movie, but the people who bought the BD might get upset at the lack of action.

...Oh yeah, BD FFVII movie, Good stuff. Imported my copy awhile ago.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
I used to have the DVD. Never played VII so I didn't understand anything.
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

The FF fanbase far, far exceeds the general anime fanbase. Sony had something like a 10% market share in 2006 from this title alone, which means it outsold Bandai's entire catalog that year Razz.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Heh, I'm definitely going to pick this one up. I think the story might have been better had it been told as part of a video game instead of being told through a movie, but it still looks great. Can't wait to see what Nomura does with FF VS. XIII, along with the other entries in the KH franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrWho2009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
This is my first post here, but I just wanted to mention that my copy of FFVII: ACC did NOT have the new song "Safe and Sound" on it. The credits of the movie rolled and then it went and played "Calling", with the rotating circular credits, the song that was on the first release. I also could not find any sort of easter egg that may have pointed to any kind of music video for "Safe and Sound". I live in Canada, got my copy from a Future Shop store... did the US version have the song?
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
DrWho2009 wrote:
This is my first post here, but I just wanted to mention that my copy of FFVII: ACC did NOT have the new song "Safe and Sound" on it. The credits of the movie rolled and then it went and played "Calling", with the rotating circular credits, the song that was on the first release. I also could not find any sort of easter egg that may have pointed to any kind of music video for "Safe and Sound". I live in Canada, got my copy from a Future Shop store... did the US version have the song?

I have the U.S. version and listened to it in the English dub not Japanese dub and it had Calling in the credits not Safe and Sound. I had that same nostalgic feeling when listening to it for the 1st time. I'm guessing the Japanese version is the only one that has Safe and Sound.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
I have the U.S. version and listened to it in the English dub not Japanese dub and it had Calling in the credits not Safe and Sound. I had that same nostalgic feeling when listening to it for the 1st time. I'm guessing the Japanese version is the only one that has Safe and Sound.

Sweet! Very Happy
This improves the chances of my buying it.
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I just got mine a couple days ago, and was very impressed. The complete version is a vast improvement in story and action. Makes it easier for people who never played the game to understand. The visuals were amazing, especially the last battle. I recommend a large plasma screen with surround sound for this one, you'll be impressed.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I actually picked up the last copy they had at my Best Buy the day it came out! Though honestly I was suprised they even had it, seeing as the anime section's been wasting away...

Truly a great action film though, and I've never even played the game! Wink
krownklown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
Just bought a copy the other day in a pawn shop for 15, i thought that was a very good price.

I also own the limited edition boxset, although the one thing that surprised me is they took off Last Order OVA, its on the limited edition set i have but not on the new blu ray disc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1