• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eden of the East Gets Two Theatrical Films Green-Lit

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!
hara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't like the idea of this series being concluded as two films. It's not that an exciting series that you would like to sit back two hours twice but rather something you watch on TV when you have to kill time.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Freaking epic, the only problem is how freaking long it will more than likely take for both movies to hit DVDs. But no matter how long that takes I will absolutely be watching these sooner or later :>
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
I don't like the idea of this series being concluded as two films. It's not that an exciting series that you would like to sit back two hours twice but rather something you watch on TV when you have to kill time.

Yeah... I'm going to have to disagree with this one. I would probably say, "This was the best new series of the season, and what a great idea this is to cross-pollinate this series with the movie market!"

I was wondering how they were going to wrap it up in one episode anyway. Rolling Eyes
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
hara wrote:

Yeah... I'm going to have to disagree with this one. I would probably say, "This was the best new series of the season, and what a great idea this is to cross-pollinate this series with the movie market!"

I was wondering how they were going to wrap it up in one episode anyway. Rolling Eyes

I agree. This was definitely one of the best shows out this season. I cringe to thing what century it will be before we even get to see the movies, but the fact that the show will be wrapped up using two films is definitely epic - this show deserves that kind of sendoff.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
As someone who hasn't finished watching the series yet, are the movies going to be sequels or re-tellings? Does the story finish after 11 episodes? Or is this like the original run of Fullmetal Alchemist?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So it's confirmed these movies are a continuation rather than a summary of the TV series?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
weird that the series was so short...was getting really interesting
szalkerous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!

This was exactly my reaction.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
As someone who hasn't finished watching the series yet, are the movies going to be sequels or re-tellings? Does the story finish after 11 episodes? Or is this like the original run of Fullmetal Alchemist?

That's what I want to know. Nowhere in the article does it explicitly say that these are continuation of the series or a retelling. However, It does say "adaptation," which leads me to believe that these two films are going to be a retelling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Having seen through episode 10, I have also wondered if they were going to be able to resolve everything in just one episode. Hopefully the movies will be continuations and not just summarized retellings of the first 11 episodes (which is more common).

I would also point out that continuing the storyline of a series into two movie-length releases after running the series on regular episodes is hardly without precedent. Key The Metal Idol did exactly that more than a decade ago. (Though those were OVA releases.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Having seen through episode 10, I have also wondered if they were going to be able to resolve everything in just one episode. Hopefully the movies will be continuations and not just summarized retellings of the first 11 episodes (which is more common).

I would also point out that continuing the storyline of a series into two movie-length releases after running the series on regular episodes is hardly without precedent. Key The Metal Idol did exactly that more than a decade ago. (Though those were OVA releases.)

But wasn't the history of the Key OVAs completely different? Key was never aired on TV in the first place, it was entirely an OVA series (VHS and LD), and the final two episodes where 3 times the normal length more as a marketing gimmick than any sort of theatrical ambitions.

What Key was, was an 13 episode OVA series that was likely originally planned for 26 episodes, but got its budget cut for the second half and ended up producing essentially 8 more episodes and packaging them into 2 "movies" (probably to help sales).
If you watched the movies it's obvious they ended up compressing the plot for the ending.

This case of Eden of the East is more like the opposite, where a series with really stellar ratings for a late night anime (I heard it got 4% past midnight!) is capitalizing on that success by producing 2 movies, which can get more revenue from ticket sales and extra DVD/blu-ray sales.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Most excellent nooz. I knew there was going to be a feature film, but not two. And yes, very much hope these are continuations of the series as opposed to compilation films.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
from the PR it sounds like it will be a redoing of the series in the form of two movies. I am up to episode 8 right now and to echo what Key said it looks like they won't have it wrapped up, which is making me think that it the movie could be a continuation. That or a second season is going to made, or the least desirable option is that the ending will flat out suck.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Heck yeah! I hope it's a continuation... I'd think so, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3