• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yoshiyuki Tomino

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This interview comes completely out of the blue. I've recently finished watching the 0079 film trilogy, and I noticed a definite optimism in what I see, despite the tragedy in which some of it is presented.
Out of interest, I saw the Ideon ending once, and the tone of such a conclusion provided a complementary ideal of tranquillity following destruction. I take it I've yet to fully interpret the frustration evident in his early works though; I don't plan on watching Zeta, and I understand that's quite a milestone as far as casualties are concerned.
Correct me if I read his comments incorrectly, but does Tomino seem to be recommending that we watch Ideon (et al) fansubbed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure. I only really read it that way after you said it, so maybe not.

Still, though, no mention of Heavy Metal L-GAIM? That's probably the most overlooked of Mr. Tomino's works in the United States.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiyuki Tomino is probably my favorite director of animation, but I reallly dislike his new found attitude. It's almost Pollyanna-like. Anime is entertainment, yes, but a so-called positive message is not necessary for entertainment. If a story has a positive message, then go with it, but if you're trying too hard to push it, it invalidates the story. Especially if you're trying to do it to an already existing work. This was one of my big issues with the Zeta Gundam movies. It was an embarrassment.

Then he goes and mentions Be Invoked, which only comes to a positive conclusion after scores of deaths, including scenes where small children die horribly in front of the viewer, often in gratiutous fashion. It was almost like he was enjoying it.

Right now, whenever I read interviews with Tomino, he seems pretty dismissive. I think he's at a point in his life where he's too exhausted to be bothered. Of course, it could be because, honestly, the guy seems a little weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think most everyone survived in L-GAIM...
Bring Out The Branston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this interview was very good. They were boring questions and I could think of at least five better ones you could have asked. A wasted opertunity.

That one about future careers besides acting and anime was rubbish.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, what are those five better questions?
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
What a coincidence. I just watched one of the Z-Gundam movies at a local Japanese restaurant yesterday. It's great that the interviewer had a chance to conduct interview with Tomino. I wish that interview was longer (its word count is 833). 800 word count is too short. I wonder if there is a longer version for Protoculture Addict. I don't know if Mr. Egan Loo is fluent in Japanese, but I came across about a recent 20,000 words (40,000 characters in Japanese) interview of Hayao Miyazaki from non-Anime magazine. Yes, a regular magazine has nothing to do with Anime. Tomino is in the same age group as Miyazaki and the mastermind behind of one of the most influential animation franchise. 800 word count is just short. Again I don't know Mr. Loo didn't have enough time to make longer interview. Maybe my expectation was too high. We know that Japanese guests come to North America once or twice per decade. My point is take full advantage of the situation and make best of it.

BTW, the interview is good, but I wish the interview had more relevant questions.
Bring Out The Branston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
No I don't want to say, I'm saving them just in case I ever meet him. But those ones were really bad and generic.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
Still, though, no mention of Heavy Metal L-GAIM? That's probably the most overlooked of Mr. Tomino's works in the United States.

Bring Out The Branston wrote:
I don't think this interview was very good. They were boring questions and I could think of at least five better ones you could have asked. A wasted opertunity.

That one about future careers besides acting and anime was rubbish.

reanimator wrote:
BTW, the interview is good, but I wish the interview had more relevant questions.

Yeah, I wanted to ask more questions about L-Gaim, or for that matter, more in-depth questions of Tomino's better known and lesser known works. However, Sunrise asked us to keep our pre-interview* questions before the convention "easy" and "more general, not talking about his works in detail." Sunrise understandably wants audience members at the New York Anime Festival to get a shot at asking the more detailed questions. I also think Sunrise wants to avoid spoiler questions before the convention, which is why some of our pre-interview questions were worded the way they were.

*Yes, Sunrise called this advance interview a "pre-interview." Sunrise said that we can have a more in-depth interview at the convention where "the questions don't have to be easy and general. You can ask very deep questions about his works, culture, and social issues," within guidelines for press.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
panzer.time wrote:
No I don't want to say, I'm saving them just in case I ever meet him. But those ones were really bad and generic.

Ok, so this boils down to criticism without offering a solution. Wouldn't it be better to get the questions out there rather than hold them on the chance that you actually get such an opportunity so that they could get asked in another interview and we'd all get to know the answers?

Anyway, I found his comment about this industry rather interesting. I can understand that he's grateful and definitely like the realistic comment that nothing's perfect, but I guess the "well, that's how things go" comment seemed a bit nonchalant. He probably does feel that way, but I guess I was expecting a little more explanation.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bring Out The Branston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
panzer.time wrote:

Ok, so this boils down to criticism without offering a solution.

No I don't have to.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote

No I don't have to.

If you're just going to be a dick and post one-liner "this sux" posts in every thread I'll be happy to boot you out of here.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
panzer.time wrote:

Ok, so this boils down to criticism without offering a solution.

No I don't have to.

True, you don't have to, but it also hampers your claim if there is no backing. If someone casually says, "I could do that better than you", the natural response is "Ok, prove it." If they can't then it seems like they're just trying to get someone riled.

Edit: It seems that Zac beat me to it. Oh well.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bring Out The Branston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

No I don't have to.

If you're just going to be a dick and post one-liner "this sux" posts in every thread I'll be happy to boot you out of here.
DO NOT SWEAR AT ME. I don't mind you saying anything thing else but show a little respect. Please.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

Yeah, I wanted to ask more questions about L-Gaim, or for that matter, more in-depth questions of Tomino's better known and lesser known works.

*Yes, Sunrise called this advance interview a "pre-interview." Sunrise said that we can have a more in-depth interview at the convention where "the questions don't have to be easy and general. You can ask very deep questions about his works, culture, and social issues," within guidelines for press.

Thanks for clarifyin'. I'll be on the lookout for material from the convention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3