• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces Tokyo Mew Mew

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
See...now everyone can calm down about "Hollywood" Mew Mew, since they're keeping "Tokyo" Mew Mew. =)
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hah and everyone was flipping out and even made that Mew Mew site and petition...rofl...

I knew from the start "Hollywood Mew Mew" wouldnt be the offical name, I read in like a Anime Invasion mag a few months back about Tokyo Mew Mew and 4Kids was "questioning" on whether taking it somewhere else or not...

Never trust the reps! Anime hyper
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Never trust the reps! XD

This had nothing to do with company reps. I believe we first heard of 4Kids' plans from an AWN article and a quote from CEO Al Kahn himself.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
"Hollywood Mew Mew" wouldnt be the offical name

Well, HMM was only a working title. There were ... others.

But if it's gonna be TMM, then that's good enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I guess I could take down those "Save Our Mew Mew!" signatures I placed in various forums. Very Happy

This is indeed good news.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Although this is true... even better news coming down the wire is them releasing a subbed version anyway. Although this is unlikely, we can still hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
BTW, you forgot to mention F Zero.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Well in any case, there goes any hope of a Harlem Mew Mew Evil or Very Mad
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Well in any case, there goes any hope of a Harlem Mew Mew Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Can you imagine if they went with Hollywood Mew Mew. Just think of how bad the acting will be and the dubbing. But at least, 4Kids is learning Anime smile.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:32 am Reply with quote
I DEMAND SYDNEY MEW MEW FOR HANNA BARBERA-STYLE AUSTRALIAN STEREOTYPING IN ANIME.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Although this is true... even better news coming down the wire is them releasing a subbed version anyway. Although this is unlikely, we can still hope.

Yeah. I don't understand this policy other than 4Kids being afraid that the subbed version would outsell thier domestication crap. FUnimation doesn't seem to worry about this with "Yu Yu Hakusho" where they have two DVD versions of the show.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
If a subbed version outsells a kiddy dub, all it means is that the kiddy dub flopped big time, not that the sub is taking business away from the dub, since the sub is aimed at a much smaller niche market than the kiddy dub is and the vast bulk of the market is too young to care about the changes made. I think Cardcaptor Sakura and Saint Seiya were titles that wouldn't have found much mainstream success even if they had received accurate dubs. And some dub-only DVDs sell very well, like Pokémon.

But, like I've said before, sales of the DVD version of kiddy dubs are actually only "gravy" to the kiddy TV syndicators like 4Kids. The two things that are more important, from their point of view, are selling the shows to television outlets (which, in turn, sell advertising time on the shows) and using the broadcasts of the shows as a vehicle to sell associated merchandise, since the syndicators usually get a certain share of the profits.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Yeah. I don't understand this policy other than 4Kids being afraid that the subbed version would outsell thier domestication crap. FUnimation doesn't seem to worry about this with "Yu Yu Hakusho" where they have two DVD versions of the show.

Apparently, the existence of a "regular" version for children and an "uncut" version for ________ might make parents wary of 4Kids properties, and probably not let children watch them. Even though the chances are good the "uncut" version might not offer any new, raunchy content, the fact it even exists and is being sold right alongside the "regular, kid-safe" version might raise concern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Didn't hurt Dragonball Z.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Didn't hurt Dragonball Z.

In fact, it probably helped DBZ by quite a bit.

Back in 2002-2003 you'd regularly see on the monthly Billboard DVD sales: "DBZ: Super Saijin Blah (Uncut)" "DBZ: Ultra Mega Zord (Uncut)" "DBZ: Super Saijin Blah (Edited)" "DBZ: Ultra Mega Zord (Edited)"

Having an "edited" (even if it was LIGHT editing) release provided an alternative for parents who wanted DBZ but wanted to feel secure that their children were watching something "OK" for TV, even if it weren't really significantly different than the uncut version.

The question is... will YGO see the same benefits that DBZ did? It's a very different beast than DBZ, aimed at a younger audience, and the new DVDs will be REreleases rather than new DVDs. People who already own the dub-only DVDs will probably be less inclined to buy the new YGO DVDs.

FWIW, since we're talking of the changing perception of kids anime, though:
Check out the latest Pokemon movie (Jirachi Wishmaker). The BGM throughout it was the original Japanese BGM ... EXCEPT for the movie ending theme. Instead, was a mix of the ending theme, with English and Japanese vocals.

.. I dunno. Every time a new Pokemon movie is released, -something- changes from what I'd expect. :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5