• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo's U.S. Trailer Now Streaming by Apple

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
Bought time Disney! Yeesh. At least this film is getting a wider release than previous Miyazaki movies. Still like the french trailer better
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
The characters speak a dialog different from the original.....
Miyazaki's Ponyo changed into Disney's Ponyo.
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
toru wrote:
The characters speak a dialog different from the original.....
Miyazaki's Ponyo changed into Disney's Ponyo.

They may have needed to tweak it to make more sense in order to get it into more theaters. Haven't downloaded a fansub of the original yet for comparison, maybe some one else can tell us if the original would be hard for a standard American audience to follow.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
I think that disney, for not being an anime distributor, does a pretty good job with Miyazaki's films. Even though they change some dialogue and maybe cut some scenes, you have to remember, they're not marketing it to anime fans, they're marketing it to a much wider audience.

I think Ponyo looks fantastic, hopefully it will be another Totoro, but my all time favorite Miyazaki movie has to be Kiki's Delivery Service.
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
MisterEd wrote:
Even though they change some dialogue and maybe cut some scenes, you have to remember, they're not marketing it to anime fans, they're marketing it to a much wider audience.

While they're tweaking the dialogue, I believe that Disney is still contractually obligated not to cut any scenes from Ghibli's films.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
I am a huge Miyazaki fan, and I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. Despite the changes, I'm very grateful to Disney for giving these films a much wider audience then they would normally have.

As for my favorite Miyazaki film, that would have to be a dead tie between Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky. Both are absolutely beautiful, wonderful masterpieces of animation and storytelling.
OrochimaruAnko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
I am glad that Ponyo is coming to theaters, but a bit sad that no
voice actors like Laura Bailey or Steve Jay Blum will be used. But
I happen to love Betty, Cloris, Liam, and Cate. Maybe this will
help get Anime noticed a bit more.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
OrochimaruAnko wrote:
I am glad that Ponyo is coming to theaters, but a bit sad that no
voice actors like Laura Bailey or Steve Jay Blum will be used. But
I happen to love Betty, Cloris, Liam, and Cate. Maybe this will
help get Anime noticed a bit more.

I'm sure they're quite up to the task, but let's face it:
Those names aren't going to get usual people to come to the theaters. Using famous people is always better, at least in terms of helping the movie be success.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
well. i saw the trailer, and it seems that (just from judging the 1 or 2 lines Ponyo had XP) that Noah Cyrus actually makes a good Ponyo

her "Sousuke!" seemed as good as the original :/ so atleast the "omigosh disney's using hannah montanah's sister!? Mad " thing isn't as bad as everyone predicted

too bad the trailer mostly focused on "Miyazaki's the best director ever! come see his movie! DO IT!" rather than the actual plot and dialog in the film :/

anyway, i'm really looking forward to this ^^ I saw the movie poster for it at my theater and took a picture of it Anime hyper
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
It's a nice trailer, especially in HD. Hopefully when the movie comes out, a comparison will be done so that we can find out what was "tweaked".
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
MisterEd wrote:
I think that disney, for not being an anime distributor, does a pretty good job with Miyazaki's films. Even though they change some dialogue and maybe cut some scenes, you have to remember, they're not marketing it to anime fans, they're marketing it to a much wider audience.

I wonder why in Finland the dubs don't change that much the dialogue, was it a Disney film or anime even though Finnish culture is very different from both American and Japanese culture. Maybe it's just that the Finnish translators don't have the need to be "better" than the original creators.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
MisterEd wrote:

I wonder why in Finland the dubs don't change that much the dialogue, was it a Disney film or anime even though Finnish culture is very different from both American and Japanese culture. Maybe it's just that the Finnish translators don't have the need to be "better" than the original creators.

They change very, very little in the dub for English since Lasseter came aboard -- and of course (as all anime fans who know their history and folklore in the US) they don't cut anything in Ghibli films. In Spirited Away there were a few turns of phrase to explain the spirits and to explain the shine, but they were minor. I could go through and watch Howl again, but I remember there not being much there either.

And those who hate the dub won't have to wait long to watch it at home with the Japanese option.
TheHaruhiIncarnate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
This movie looks amazing, Japanese or English dub. The animation is beautiful and the dub, for me at least, doestn't ruin anything. I saw the trailer about 8 times now, and everytime i watch it, it gives me chills.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
That looks amazing, I really hope a theater close to me and my friends gets showings (they haven't released the theaters list yet, have they?).
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
Here's my thoughts on the trailer:

The animation is absolutely beautiful, just what I'd expect from a Miyazaki film. I'll definitely be going to see this without question.

As for the voices:

Liam Neeson as Fujimoto: this is quite different from what I was expecting, but it sounded pretty fine to me. (Keep in mind I have not seen the Japanese version, so I have no preconceptions on how the characters should sound.)

Lisa: The one line I heard sounded a little monotone, but I hope that this is just one line. Still not a breaker.

Frankie Jonas as Sosuke: Better than I thought! Granted this was only one line, but it didn't sound lacking to me in any way. I don't have an overall opinion of the performance, but hopefully it'll be believable enough to assuage any naysayers (I think they'll hate on it either way).

Cate Blanchett as Granamamare: Very close in tone in Galadriel. Nice.

Noah Cyrus as Ponyo: Very difficult, because the only lines I've heard from her so far are giggles and some shouts. But they sounded fine to me. Again, I expect haters to dogpile on her either way, but what I heard did not sound like anything to scream about.

All in all, I think this is shaping up to be yet another terrific Disney-Ghibli dub. Of course, the rabid naysayers will hate it no matter what, but I haven't been disappointed in any of their dubs so far, and Ponyo seems to be another promising addition to the "family".

I'm looking forward to this.
-Jon T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2