• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yoshiyuki Tomino

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tomino's other blunder was that his Newtype concept never made it anywhere, and this isn't really his fault, but rather a product of there being further Gundam stories after the first. At the end of the original series, it was clear there was a dawning of a new age, but by Zeta, it was uncertain, and by Victory, it didn't even matter anymore.

Because the reality turned out to be more cynical and less idealistic than the theory, which may also go for Tomino himself when you consider his state of mind by the time he directed Victory. Now, X may have addressed the specific issue, but it seems that even in Tomino's own work you can tell there was a real disconnect between what was originally expected of Newtypes and what they actually accomplished, in-universe. In the end, they were merely human and nothing more.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
He said himself he's been in the industry for 45 years yet the intro to the essay mentions him being in it 40 years. Because Astro Boy was the first anime with an ongoing plot and started the anime boom, I argue he is one of the very reasons anime is what is today because he directed it (Overall, Osamu Tezuka is the driving force behind the popularity of modern anime). Of course, Miyazaki, Mitsuteru Yokoyama, Go Nagai, Leiji Matsumoto, Shotaro Ishinomori, and others also helped impact anime.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yoshiyuki Tomino is probably my favorite director of animation, but I reallly dislike his new found attitude. It's almost Pollyanna-like. Anime is entertainment, yes, but a so-called positive message is not necessary for entertainment. If a story has a positive message, then go with it, but if you're trying too hard to push it, it invalidates the story. Especially if you're trying to do it to an already existing work. This was one of my big issues with the Zeta Gundam movies. It was an embarrassment.

Then he goes and mentions Be Invoked, which only comes to a positive conclusion after scores of deaths, including scenes where small children die horribly in front of the viewer, often in gratiutous fashion. It was almost like he was enjoying it.

Right now, whenever I read interviews with Tomino, he seems pretty dismissive. I think he's at a point in his life where he's too exhausted to be bothered. Of course, it could be because, honestly, the guy seems a little weird.

Tomino's got this passive-aggressive thing going on that undercuts whatever attempts his Pollyana-ish attitude tries to emerge. That's what makes his work still interesting, even today. He'll talk about being positive at one point, and then go into a full scale rant about the anime industry in another. This dichotomy shows in his work and it's what makes them both confusing and intriguing at the same time.

So it's pretty consistent with his past behaviour.

I actually think Anno has worked out his personal issues better than Tomino has, because Anno is just way too un-neurotic these days, unlike Tomino.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Tomino's got this passive-aggressive thing going on that undercuts whatever attempts his Pollyana-ish attitude tries to emerge. That's what makes his work still interesting, even today. He'll talk about being positive at one point, and then go into a full scale rant about the anime industry in another. This dichotomy shows in his work and it's what makes them both confusing and intriguing at the same time.

For him to have this sort of personality trait if anything makes me more interested in his shows, moreover the contrasting optimistic and pessimistic elements they may bring.
Miyazaki perhaps exempt, I find that a director who ascends to contrasting attitudes can produce works which, in spite of their flaws, always make for a challenging and at least moderately diverting watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gwern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, I'd love it if more people could see my works, even if it means I get feedback like: "The copy of _Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked_ that I saw was great!" The way that [the story] was presented in this particular work may not be good — but it's a story where even though humans and aliens have been annihilated in a battle, there is still hope.

I couldn't help but be reminded of _End of Evangelion_ here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3