• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Asura Cryin' 2 TV Series Green-Lit for Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

At least Azumanga Daioh didn't have countless panty shots or under aged fanservice. Also, if you actually watched the show, you would know all the of the characters graduated from high school and were about to enter college.

Which was the point at which Azuma decided to end the manga, before the characters become scattered across the country. Chiyo-chan was even leaving for the US. A sequel would have to make up a bunch of new events, not by the original creator, and either make up a bunch of new characters, or change the focus from an ensemble to one or two of the old characters that end up in the same place. Does that ever work well?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

At least Azumanga Daioh didn't have countless panty shots or under aged fanservice. Also, if you actually watched the show, you would know all the of the characters graduated from high school and were about to enter college.

Which was the point at which Azuma decided to end the manga, before the characters become scattered across the country. Chiyo-chan was even leaving for the US. A sequel would have to make up a bunch of new events, not by the original creator, and either make up a bunch of new characters, or change the focus from an ensemble to one or two of the old characters that end up in the same place. Does that ever work well?

Exactly. I HAVE watched the show, Teriyaki, and I also know a sequel would be anime-only. Forgive me if that makes me question how good a "sequel" would be. And needless to say, some things are perfectly good WITHOUT a sequel.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Exactly. I HAVE watched the show, Teriyaki, and I also know a sequel would be anime-only. Forgive me if that makes me question how good a "sequel" would be. And needless to say, some things are perfectly good WITHOUT a sequel.

Agreed that some series are good without a sequel, but there must be at least one well made show that actually deserves a second season. My point intially was, there must be better shows to give second seasons to, instead of all too typical fanservice based shows.

I do appologize if that came out rudely, but I do see where your coming from. The ending to Azumanga was done well, but I wouldn't mind seeeing more.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Agreed that some series are good without a sequel, but there must be at least one well made show that actually deserves a second season. My point intially was, there must be better shows to give second seasons to, instead of all too typical fanservice based shows.

I do appologize if that came out rudely, but I do see where your coming from. The ending to Azumanga was done well, but I wouldn't mind seeeing more.

The bottomline is, all these shows that suddenly get second seasons out of nowehere isn't the case. They were planned from the beginning to be a 24-26 episode show split up into two parts. These announcements just let you know when part two well be.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Agreed that some series are good without a sequel, but there must be at least one well made show that actually deserves a second season.

You seem to be miss-understanding something. Series that "deserve" a sequel are series that sell well. And even that's not the case sometimes. AD could not had continued because of lack of material. Same for Berserk (at the time). Also, Asura's not even GETTING a second season. They just split the one season in two.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
I've read the legal age for a girl in Japan is 13-14. That's scary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2