• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier's Second Theatrical Film Confirmed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Hep. I'm looking forward to it.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
Wait so the second movie is a sequel to the first movie or a sequel to the TV show?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
I suppose it should be a sequel to both, since the first movie probably won't change anything too important in the grand scheme of things.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Wait so the second movie is a sequel to the first movie or a sequel to the TV show?

You know like how the Evangelion movies are? Where the first one is almost all recap with a bit of new footage thrown in, while the second one is all new? From the sounds of things, this is pretty much the same idea.

Hey Kawamori: stop teasing us with the Megaroad-1 and Hikaru/Misa/Minmay references already and deliver on that. If you really wanted people to stop caring about those characters, you'd stop reminding us of them every chance you got.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maciste

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
Imo, the "sequel" movie will tell a new story, but I don't think it'll follow up/reveal something new.
More like a lengthened filler episode. "Some remaining or minor new threat. They come to the rescue. All is good, but nothing really happened in the end". Maybe just to push another soundtrack or Idol CD, besides the sales of the movie DVDs/BDs and other franchise. Something like this. Just my 2 cents.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Y'know, the thought had crossed my mind that they could do this, but I didn't honestly think they would. This news has seriously made my week.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
[quote="Anime World Order"]
Jarmel wrote:

Hey Kawamori: stop teasing us with the Megaroad-1 and Hikaru/Misa/Minmay references already and deliver on that. If you really wanted people to stop caring about those characters, you'd stop reminding us of them every chance you got.

I think their story is already told in the original series and Do you remember love?. There wouldn't be that much to add really.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Great news. The series had some flaws, but it was entertaining and it led up to a smashing conclusion. I welcome the chance to see more.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
The TV series left some unanswered questions. I hope the second movie will answer all that.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
So it basically sounds like they're recapping the first half, than changing the second. Sounds interesting. Hopefully, they'll rebalance the triangle, especially if they plan to end it differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Hell. F*cking. Yeah.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

With the voice actor of Hikaru deceased for some years, I doubt they'll be revisiting those characters. But maybe I'm naive for thinking they wouldn't just use a replacement VA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Two recap films? Goddamn this is annoying now. I'm pretty much completely not expecting either of these films to be original.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
So november will have the Macross Frontier and Eden of the East movie? Wow that's one kickass month.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
Imo, the "sequel" movie will tell a new story, but I don't think it'll follow up/reveal something new.
More like a lengthened filler episode. "Some remaining or minor new threat. They come to the rescue. All is good, but nothing really happened in the end".

At this point I don't think a lot of people cares if it's filler material in that regard as long as they give some closure to the triangle which was the main focus of the damn show. It's not like Frontier had well developed antagonists in the first place. The real one had potential but they squandered it since they decided to focus on a love triangle they didn't want to resolve.

Being a massive AruSherri shipper of course I was pissed at the ending especially since the last half was nearly going all one way in the romance department.. but as a critic, a watcher.. I was more pissed at the time they wasted on the unresolved love triangle instead of better developing antagonists, support characters and sideplots.

That boat has already sailed, resolve the damn triangle and put us shippers out of misery, give us some awesome action scenes which the series lacked as well as a swag of new songs from the idols and the majority will be happy. If they can somehow make a good storyline at the same time than fantastic, but I'm not holding my breath for it since they couldn't tell a good story in 26 episodes I don't expect them to in 90-120 minutes.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Two recap films?

Your reading comprehension and education lost. First film is a recap that seems to be putting a slight spin on things and the second film is a new story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2