• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Robot Girls Site Launches with 4-Panel Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Looks like Toei is following Gainax on the whole girlify the robots. But then again I think this was never a new idea. But if it gets more money in the bank then go for it.
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
hmmmm mechs and girls, the 2 things i lov and adore, yet sadly the 2 things i cant seem to get... Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat confused. Will the target audience for these 4-panels actually remember the mecha involved? That is of course, unless Otaku still hold such older titles dear to their hearts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I'm somewhat confused. Will the target audience for these 4-panels actually remember the mecha involved? That is of course, unless Otaku still hold such older titles dear to their hearts.

I doubt they will which is probably the whole point of the promotion, to garner new interest in shows that haven't had much attention in the last 30 years or so. Probably also why they're matching a high profile series like Gaiking with two considerably more obscure titles.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Baratack and Ga-Keen haven't even gotten appearances in Super Robot Wars yet (which seems to do wonders for the merchandising prospects of old shows), so I suppose it makes sense to do something extra to promote DVD releases of shows with middling nostalgia at best (save for Gaiking, of course).
Zipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Most people won't care about the mecha because there are moe girls involved. Seriously if they made an anime about turds that turned into moe girls, it'd sell well.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks Toei for Raping my childhood...Evil or Very Mad You don't do that, specially to a Go Nagai (Daiku Maryu Gaiking for those who are wondering) show by injecting it with the MOE Crap, you Bastards!!. I've seen Daiku Maryu Gaiking and Magno Robo Gakeen as both were part of "El Festival de los Robots" a Spanish Language Force Five style anthology show.

And If you ever saw Magnos the Robot (you can find it on those stores that sell $1 dvds) or Renegade Force...you have seen Gakeen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Looks like Toei is following Gainax on the whole girlify the robots. But then again I think this was never a new idea. But if it gets more money in the bank then go for it.

Nope, not a new idea at all. You can thank Mika Akitaka of Galaxy Frauline Yuna fame for that. And even then... MS Girls only work when they have BREASTS. Razz

And in anycase this further fails because everyone knows Moe Girls are essentially cold blooded and need to constantly seek the warmth of others and tentacle monsters. They do not possess the hot bloodedness and passion necessary to be Super Robot heroes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1