• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - A Chat With Our News Editor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Excellent Job Egan Loo,I've been watching your work,every day since 2007.Do you learn anything from the constant info you report? That is to say do you retain any of the BS you've had to dabble in? I would think you would be dead inside by now. Laughing

Keep going man,ANN is a fun place to be because of your source finding.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what dedication! Thanks so much for all your hard work! Shocked
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I want everyone to read this and understand that the motor of this site and by extension the lion's share of online anime fandom is ONE GUY. What puts the "news" in "Anime News Network," what gives them the right to bear the slogan "the Internet's most trusted anime news source" and be RIGHT, is Egan.

Without the work of Egan "Haro^2", a man I always feared and respected every since he demonstrated his ability to recall from memory how many missiles are on the wingtip of a Valkyrie fighter (for various loadouts), a substantial portion (let's say 85%) of the whole Internet anime fandom would simply collapse. Face it, the topics of the day across many anime blogs, forums, and even other anime news sites are largely dependent on what Egan chooses to post here at any given time.

To paraphrase The Usual Suspects, "to be in power, you don't need guns or money or even numbers. You just need the will to do what the other guy wouldn't." Who else among us really has the will to do what Egan is doing? How many people out there in Internet Anime Land are actually picking up the telephone and making phone calls before posting something? Let me save you the time: nobody.

So keep it up, sir. You're doing it so the rest of us don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
csyandrews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow just ONE guy! This is truly awesome, if i where Egan though i would have an assistant so i would sleep and have a vacation every once in a while. Then my assistant could take over when i retired. don't take me wrong i love the work Egan is doing and hope he keeps it up. i just think that is a lot of work for one man.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Who else among us really has the will to do what Egan is doing? How many people out there in Internet Anime Land are actually picking up the telephone and making phone calls before posting something? Let me save you the time: nobody.

Think again. I'm sure there are similar people out there. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
How many people out there in Internet Anime Land are actually picking up the telephone and making phone calls before posting something? Let me save you the time: nobody.

Not to belittle what Egan does, but good journalists should confirm any news story they hear about with a phone call to at least one official source. I commend Egan for being a good journalist, something which is in criminally short supply these days.

I do wonder, does ANN ever get "strongarmed" by powerful companies? What I mean is, because it's primarily one guy doing everything, did anyone ever try to hush a negative story by threatening massive legal action or by blacklisting ANN? This is a fear I have about online journalism -- good/important stories being covered up because the big boys know they only have to squash one man/woman, and not the entire legal department of a print newspaper or a legal defense organization. Along those lines, does ANN have some legal muscle behind it should such a situation arise?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
This was a very interesting interview. Thank you very much, ANN, and thank you, Mr Loo, for the great job you're doing.
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
Gia Manry has been doing pretty much the exact same thing as Egan Loo for different websites during these past couple of years at least. Yes, not to belittle what ANN's news guy does, but there are a number of simple fans out there that do what ANN does on a daily basis, the only difference is they don't get paid for their work.

About 2ch news, I doubt ANN gets confirmation for those, simply because some information bits leak out before their planned release date (magazine snapshots etc.).
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Do you learn anything from the constant info you report? That is to say do you retain any of the BS you've had to dabble in? I would think you would be dead inside by now. Laughing

I get to watch a lot of anime premieres — no complaints there!

dormcat wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:
Who else among us really has the will to do what Egan is doing? How many people out there in Internet Anime Land are actually picking up the telephone and making phone calls before posting something? Let me save you the time: nobody.

Think again. I'm sure there are similar people out there. Wink

I have to chime in that dormcat is often plugging away the site at same odd hours I am (if not more hours). ANN is a team effort, especially when it comes to the exhaustive Encyclopedia.

Quote:
I do wonder, does ANN ever get "strongarmed" by powerful companies? What I mean is, because it's primarily one guy doing everything, did anyone ever try to hush a negative story by threatening massive legal action or by blacklisting ANN? This is a fear I have about online journalism -- good/important stories being covered up because the big boys know they only have to squash one man/woman, and not the entire legal department of a print newspaper or a legal defense organization. Along those lines, does ANN have some legal muscle behind it should such a situation arise?

Good question — fortunately, I haven't been put in such a hypothetical legal bind. One major reason: ANN confirms potentially controversial news pieces before posting, if only to prevent libel claims. As long as the facts are in order, I'm pretty confident that ANN has us covered.

crilix wrote:
Gia Manry has been doing pretty much the exact same thing as Egan Loo for different websites during these past couple of years at least. Yes, not to belittle what ANN's news guy does, but there are a number of simple fans out there that do what ANN does on a daily basis, the only difference is they don't get paid for their work.

I think the major difference between ANN and other websites, including the ones that get paid for what they do (which some do), is we will not post something if all we have is rumor, gossip, or anything we have to put a question mark in the headline. That's not close to the same thing we do.

Quote:
About 2ch news, I doubt ANN gets confirmation for those, simply because some information bits leak out before their planned release date (magazine snapshots etc.).

For the ones without strong photographic evidence, we do get confirmation before posting.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:34 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
I have to chime in that dormcat is often plugging away the site at same odd hours I am (if not more hours). ANN is a team effort, especially when it comes to the exhaustive Encyclopedia.

To clarify: while I consider the ANN Encyclopedia to be the single best resource available to anime fandom pretty much...ever...such that I use it all the time and spend more time looking through it than I do the rest of the site, it doesn't directly relate to news reporting which was the intended scope of my previous post. The Encyclopedia could easily stand alone as its own website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
I think the major difference between ANN and other websites, including the ones that get paid for what they do (which some do), is we will not post something if all we have is rumor, gossip, or anything we have to put a question mark in the headline. That's not close to the same thing we do.
Not to dwell on this for too long, but how is putting a question mark in the headline different from using your favorite word "reportedly"? If you happen to post an inaccurate news entry because of your source, sure, you can blame the source (for ex. MOON PHASE's netabare posts, Haruhi S2 announcements...), but the damage is done either way.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Not to dwell on this for too long, but how is putting a question mark in the headline different from using your favorite word "reportedly"? If you happen to post an inaccurate news entry because of your source, sure, you can blame the source (for ex. MOON PHASE's netabare posts, Haruhi S2 announcements...), but the damage is done either way.

That's because we were relatively confident of the reports' accuracy, often because of other corroborating evidence as was the case in the Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 reports. (We had received off-the-record tips during Tokyo International Anime Fair, but were waiting for on-the-record sources before posting.) By contrast, a question mark indicates that the reporter doubts the very information that the reporter is about to dispense. For what it is worth, we don't post Moon Phase's netabare posts as news now, unless we have evidence corroborating the tip.
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Interesting... still shameless self promotion.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
^ Thanks, thanks, thanks for the Green-Lit and novel releases news.
I know it is very consuming what you do, but keep doing it this well Anime hyper
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hello Egan! Haven't seen you in ages.

Keep up the good work, you make it so easy for the rest of us to keep up on what's going on, I really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2