• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sega's Sands of Destruction Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty happy with World Destruction so I'm looking forward to owning it on DVD. Still think the title change is a bit odd considering the sand has little to do with the world's destruction, at least in the anime and what I've read of the manga, maybe it's different in the game. Hope the game does well over here.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I'm very happy to hear this. I very much enjoyed World Destruction. Too bad they had to rename it, but it makes perfect sense for them to do so. After all, the video game is also being brought over under the name "Sands of Destruction."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I could see this being enjoyable, but I only reconize one of the voice actors and that is Monica.

I'll definitely check out Sands of Destruction when the dvd has a release date.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
wow, I certainly wasn't expecting this one, I think I would have expected to see Rosario+Vampire licensed before this one. But I guess since the game is coming over here FUNi decided to cash in, go them.

Personally, I didn't really care much for the show, but I may still watch it again for the dub.

Also, its good to see an announcement about El Cazador, I was starting to think that it faded from existence. I mean, FUNi hasn't even had a site up for it months after the license was announced, now I at least know its still alive. I keep hearing that its the weakest of the Bee Train girls with guns series', but I want to see that for myself, dammit Razz .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I could see this being enjoyable, but I only reconize one of the voice actors and that is Monica.

I'll definitely check out Sands of Destruction when the dvd has a release date.
Clarine Harp was on Chicks on Anime just a month ago. Of the others, I only vaguely recognize Jamie McGonagal and Trisha Nishimura. And then there's Chris Bevins, whom I mainly know as a director. But on the flip side, it's always good to see new talent getting exposure.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
First Season? There's only one damn season!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's good news for anyone interested in El Cazador and want to watch it with a dub. It's also a good sign that Funi thinks / hopes the dub costs will get made up by the dvd sales for this title. I am definitely looking forward to this release, it will be fun to watch both ways, subbed and dubbed.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I've seen that picture before.... I might buy this. I don't care about Voice casts as long as its dubbed. If this sells well then we might get Valkary Chronicles (I know its spelled wrong)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought the name of this anime was always and very obviously "World Destruction". Wārudo Desutorakushon if you will. Why do they need to change the name to mirror the video game, legal reasons? It's pointless. The show itself was alright, average, nothing amazing. It really ends of being one of those shows that takes a nosedive from silly fun to ULTRA SUPER SERIOUS SOOOO DEEP, a contrast which doesn't really work unless it's Urusei Yatsura. By the end, you're just glad it's over because the enjoyment level completely dropped out of it.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Funimation better not mess up Tacos Song...

i've been pretty disappointed by Funimation and their subpar releases...no extras, no linear notes, no interviews....NOTHING!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

i've been pretty disappointed by Funimation and their subpar releases...no extras, no linear notes, no interviews....NOTHING!!

You do get clean openings and endings, and maybe an American VA commentary. Isn't that what you've always wanted?! Totally beats the hell out of those other "extras". [Apparently this is what FUNimation actually believes these days, judging by what I've seen on their DVDs.] Also, Veridian Collections are totally cool, right?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

You actually expect that? I'm used to Funi having no extras on their sets.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:

Not all of Funimation's releases have no extras. The School Rumble sets have multiple interviews with cast and in the last set for season 2, the creator. Romeo x Juliet has a making of on the first set and Kaze no Stigma has several Japanese extras on it's first set and there's an actor commentary on every volume of Baccano. Though if you want a sweet release extras wise, Hell Girl rules. Could they have more extras? Absolutely and I'd welcome them. However, you can't say they have no extras and they're far from the only company that lacks extras.

Remember, extras often have to be negotiated seperately from the main license, can take longer to negotiate, can be considered "Japanese-exclusive" by the license holders, and RAISE THE PRICE OF THE SHOW. I underline and scream that part because this is the main thing people keep harping about, the cost of anime. If you want it cheap, fast and legal, you won't get much in the way of extras, unless the R1 company is an extension of a Japanese company and has less red tape to cut through. And even then, if they think costs are too high, you'll see little to no extras.

When sales were better, we got more because there was more money and/or time to negotiate with. Now, anime fans don't want to buy anything and we get what we get.

@ Teriyaki Terrier: The VA list is a good one. I recognize most of them, Maxey Whitehead did Czeslaw Mayer in Baccano and Antonio in Romeo x Juliet. (Her work in Baccano gives a good range too. Highly recommend that show.) She could easily be a replacement for Aaron Dismuke in FMA: B if he can't reprise Al due to voice change.

Trina Nishimura I know from School Rumble easily as Akira and Sasami Magical Girl's Club's Ayane. Akira's a low voice badass stoic girl. There's an added warmth to her Ayane voice.

Clarine Harp has been in several best sellers, Tweedledee in Kiddy Grade, Sei in Burst Angel, Colonel Mary Spencer in Trinity Blood and Ginza in Speed Grapher. Ian Sinclair's done a lot of minor roles and Bob Carter's got a good credit as Gorobei Katayama in Samurai Seven and an upcoming role in Blassreiter as Wolf. Jamie McGonnigal looks to be mainly a former NY VA. Christopher Bevins does more behind the scenes work but kicks ass with roles like Kanone Hilbert in Spiral and Mercutio in Romeo x Juliet.

It's a good cast making use of underused talent. You might want to check out some of those shows to get a taste of the VAs.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this one now. I'd hoped for a long while that ADV would get it since they had NOIR and Madlax but they never bothered. I'm glad Monica Rial's in this one, it means she's had a role in all three of Bee Train's "girs with guns" anime. (It was a very small role in Madlax but she was in it.)
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Yawn. Average show. So much better shows still waiting to be licensed.
Still, can sort of understand this may so fairly well when a video game is due soon.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I was interested in this one, but never got around to watching the fansubs. Also, only 13 episodes means it'll all be out in one collection right off the bat. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2