• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk Competition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, post your entries for the Tower of Druaga competition below!

To start you all off, let me tell you a tale of failure;

I stopped being addicted to MMOrpgers in about third year university (i've been clean of WOW for over five years!) but ocassionally get into one. At the moment i've just re-entered EVE online as it has to be one of the best spreadsheet simulators out there. However I kind of screwed up in character creation as I designed a creepy bald headed guy who flies around in a rather phallic looking ship called a stabber and my build tailored towards speed. Combine it with my character's game of "S'Tallis" and well, according to my corp I'm apparently a STD...

So how about you?

ST~
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
However I kind of screwed up in character creation as I designed a creepy bald headed guy who flies around in a rather phallic looking ship called a stabber and my build tailored towards speed. Combine it with my character's game of "S'Tallis" and well, according to my corp I'm apparently a STD...

That's not too bad. In your defence you could claim you were subverting the games thematic content instead of merely creating an avatar in the manner expected of you. I myself don't play online games really. They often bestow one with too much responsibility for what is supposedly a way to unwind and escape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
I guess it's kind of ironic that The Tower of Druaga never actually struck an MMO nerve with me... I just thought of it as a good basic RPG parody like Order of the Stick, and as an ex-Pen & Paper RPGer I found it to be a quite nostalgic and pretty decent series for the most part.

I really wouldn't mind having a copy, but alas no actual MMO anecdotes.
Dragon90101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
My MMO story is from eve online too.

For those that dont know, in eve, pretty much anything else that isn't specificly stated as an exploit is allowed, including ingame scamming.
Its usually pretty easy to spot a scam ("If you give me money ill double what you give me" is a common one, sadly some people still fall for it), and I didn't think it would ever happen to me since I've been warned about most of them and know what to look for. However this one was different.

Recently, a new manufacturing chain was brought in to produce new rare T3 ships, which are worth billions. Components to build these ships usually are expensive, so when I saw someone advertising components for 60% less then market price, I was skeptical, however, it does happen and profit was there to be made if it was true.

So I checked the local regions market. Sure enough, all of the sale orders in the region were 40% or more above what he was selling to me for. Score! or so I though. When I went to resell at the higher price, I took them to the biggest marget hub in eve to move them quickly, but here the prices were well below what i had brought them for! I brought them at about 1mil per unit (20 units in all) and they were selling for only 200k per unit!

Turns out what this guy had done was buy ALL the stock of the item in question in the region at 200k per unit (since its new, little stock so not hard todo) and relisted most of them at the new 1.4mil price. He then sold the rest to me for 1mil, still 800k over what they are worth. Since there was only 60 or so in the region ,including the ones he sold me, to buy them all cost 12mil, and he made 16mil off selling them too me, and can still relist the other 40 at the correct price for a further 8mil.

Usually I would be pretty annoyed at getting scammed, but this one was so brilliantly executed that I congratulated the guy.
Kerosene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
I have an epic story about an experience I had, nothing real interesting though…

It was on World of Warcraft….what else? I was a noob (sigh) about lvl 10 and I’d made my way to the crossroads (I’m a troll Anime hyper) and after venturing out for a little while I noticed I was being stalked. It was an obviously high level elf druid that kept going in and out of (stealth?) mode. Well I thoughts to myself theres no way im gonna tackle that and he couldn’t attack me because I’m such a low level.

So I make my way over the crossroads again with this elf following me, now there were HEAPS of players in crossroads at this time like lots of lvl 60’s +.

While I was in there buying armour or something this elf kept on going in an out of stealth mode, so for the hell of it I though someone should take him on. So in the mass of players I said, “hey look everybody theres an elf right behind me, wait a bit and he’ll appear!”… and I was ignored. Totally and utterly being ignored like the noob I was.

When all of a sudden this elf appears in front of everyone like 30 seconds after I’d told them, and there all like OMFGWTFAHH. And out of all the players and guards and stuff in the cross roads that took him on…..the elf PWNED them ALL. I mean total utter slaughter, they failed so much against this one elf.

And I said …>> “I told ya so..” but there was like no one to hear because they were all in the graveyard lol.

Not really funny, it happened a couple of years ago, but I hoped you liked it Anime hyper.
[/b]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dragon90101 wrote:
Usually I would be pretty annoyed at getting scammed, but this one was so brilliantly executed that I congratulated the guy.

Either you attribute a great value to the notion of honourable defeat, or you saw this eventuality in a somewhat masochistic light. I myself would be deterred from the game entirely should that sort of thing have happened to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silvertalon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
to cut a long story short i was a level 70ish(cant remember exactly) priest in WoW just as the latest expansion went live and i was the only healer in a group that was running one of the new instances

while i was describing in guild chat how cool everything looked in the instance(didn't have a mic then) i was using auto run to keep up with the group, needless to say i ran into a large pack of creatures Embarassed and caused the group to wipe, to this day my guild mates tell me im not allowed to talk in instances when i go with them
Dragon90101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Dragon90101 wrote:

Either you attribute a great value to the notion of honourable defeat, or you saw this eventuality in a somewhat masochistic light. I myself would be deterred from the game entirely should that sort of thing have happened to me.

I do put a great value in an honorable defeat in eve, since in a game where 1v1's are almost never kept, your own friends could steal from you at any minute while others prey on human nature to scam them, its nice to find people that use skill rather then cheap tricks to achieve victory.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, these are some pretty amusing stories (and exactly what we're looking for). However to try and get a couple more stories in we're keeping the competition open until next friday, the 17th.

Please keep these pearlers coming, I have to admit that I have a grin from ear to ear reading them!
GrapeCandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
It had been an hour or two of my spamming The Barrens, Orgrimmar and Thunderbluff general chats to find a group (this was before LFG feature came out) but I had finally done it. I had finally assembled a specific group of player classes that would work well in the brambled underthorns of RFK (Razorfen Keep) while securing my maximum amount of loot.

We each made our way to RFK on foot and battled the mighty Razorfen tribe and their Deaths head cultists, slaying them group by group, ever closer toward our ultimate goal.

Finally, after leaving a great trail of Razorhide bodies we reached the the final challenge and after a brief battle, it was all over.

As I loot corpse I notice something is missing, a quest item, the Skull of Coldbringer. Frantically I ask my group if they have the same problem, but am quickly told that I was in the wrong dungeon and that Amnennar Coldbringer is in RFD (Razorfen DOWNS).

A few hours of hardwork later I assemble another team, Do RFD and finish the quest to find out not only can I not use any of the items due to proficiency, but they were inferior due to levels anyway Q_Q

My guild, <Kitten> (who I was the master of) nick-named me 'downs', a play on words of the instance combined with the common gamer phrase of letting someone know how bad they are by comparing them to someone with downsyndrome Q_Q

But from then on I've known the importance of slight differences in acronyms Razz
throwbolts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
When I first started WoW, my brother and my friend would help me out with advice and stuff, one day they convinced me that night elves just had slowfall and jumped off a cliff and killed myself Crying or Very sad
Spike667

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Just started playing a game I have had a long absense from, Playglobalwar, to help a friend out. Winners are determined by who has the most civilians end of the round. Anyway we were launching our attack to get in range of the #1 player who was being a "bank" mid round. Population was being fed to me by my mates and I was just shy of being in range of the bank but there was no more available population to boost me up. So we were pretty much screwed. We decided to have a small break and hope some others had logged in during that time so we could take their population and pass it on. It turned out that a rival member had logged in and killed / taken my population. We spent an hour getting that and used most of our weapons. We could rebuild our weapons, but the bank would be too far gone to retry by that stage..... But then we noticed this player had helped us immensely. He had taken population from the bank to get in range of me and he was still sitting there with the population thinking he had saved his bank all smug like. What he didn't realise is he lowered the bank and he was sitting there like a giant stepping stone for us to reach it. We took his and the banks population and killed it off (we couldnt protect it and it beats having the enemy take it straight back and get out of range and win uncontested). Now the round is a free for all Smile
GrapeCandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
I thought Global War was an online strategy game?
Is it any good?
Spike667

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
it has its moments. Would be great if more people were playing it though, like when the current Admins 1st took over. I change my name most rounds, but currently Port_Headland (as that is where you are located if you are in Australia), so if you log in hit me up.

*sorry if this counts as spam*
Spike667

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
it has its moments. Would be great if more people were playing it though, like when the current Admins 1st took over. I change my name most rounds, but currently Port_Headland (as that is where you are located if you are in Australia), so if you log in hit me up.

*sorry if this counts as spam*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2