• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch Shonen Sunday Imprint with Rin-ne Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Cool~ and great logo. It's not my favorite company but certainly not my least; Viz is leaving others in the dust.

So this is a web mag thing? I love Sunday~
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Is this a magazine? Will it be in ink like Shonen Jump?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean we'll now have two magazines from Viz to look forward to? Shocked
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
No, this just means that all Shonen Sunday mangas that are being published will now be under the "Shonen Sunday" imprint, instead of being in the general imprint... i.e. the spine will now have a new logo instead of the big red "V" like usual.

This also means that we'll probably be getting a bunch more Sunday mangas to help support this new imprint. Personally I am hoping for The Law of Ueki Plus, Monkey Turn (Viz should take advantage of the anime masters they have for Monkey Turn and finally release the anime on DVD with this new imprint!), Devil & Devil, and History's Strongest Desciple KenIchi to be licensed and debut on this new imprint.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Good thing it's not another magazine then. Because if they were going to replace Shojo Beat with another shonen mag that would be rather sad.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
This seems a bit strange to me. The Shonen Sunday name means nothing to most people in North America. I can see this causing confusion more than anything else. The Jump imprint makes sense because of the US edition, but this?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
This seems a bit strange to me. The Shonen Sunday name means nothing to most people in North America. I can see this causing confusion more than anything else. The Jump imprint makes sense because of the US edition, but this?

Some Japanese publishers don't really care, but others don't like their imprints get mixed with other publishers just because they are licensed by the same foreign company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
ok? The other mangas in the that mag in Japan are being released mostly by Del Ray if I'm right? (Negima!, SZS, Fairy Tail)

So are they just changing the logo or offering online scans for people?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
If they released a magazine, I'd subscribe.

Anyway, this is cool.

Viz seems to be taking over the world... continent... heh.

Now we just need a Shonen Magazine imprint. Wink
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
if they released a magazine that would be neat but I would love a U.S copy of the weekly mag just in a monthly format like they do for SJ here.

But seeing as half the titles are owned by Viz and half are owned by Del Ray it would be hard to do
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what this means but at least I'm not alone.

Still, I do wonder about one thing...why is Yuu Watase involved with a shonen imprint? She's like, as shojo as shojo gets.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see an online, subscription-based SS magazine through Viz, though I wouldn't hold my breath with all the trouble Funi's had with online streaming of videos, I could see there being challenges with protecting an online manga magazine.

As long as they keep Conan going... Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
ok? The other mangas in the that mag in Japan are being released mostly by Del Ray if I'm right? (Negima!, SZS, Fairy Tail)

Those are all Weekly Shonen Magazine titles published by Kodansha and licensed by Del Rey.

Josh7289 wrote:
Now we just need a Shonen Magazine imprint.

Most of them are licensed by Del Rey so there's no need for that, at least at this moment.

marie-antoinette wrote:
Still, I do wonder about one thing...why is Yuu Watase involved with a shonen imprint? She's like, as shojo as shojo gets.

Sad but true: girls reading shonen manga magazines are fine, but boys reading shojo manga magazines are teased -- if not bullied -- by others. For marketing purpose it would be more profitable to install a shojo manga in a (licensed) shonen imprint before an independent and dedicated shojo manga market has matured.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
If they released a weekly magazine I would definitely subscribe. It wouldn't even matter that much what manga was in it.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
In a somewhat related matter, in Vol. 34 of Shonen Sunday, to drop July 22, a BIG announcement about InuYasha anime is forthcoming, according to this post from the AS Message Board:

"Before I say anything.... RIFs don't getcha hopes up! I found this by accident and I thought of you all... I have no clue if its true or not, the dates seem to match up with our current date so hopefully this is new news. I also cannot fact check because I don't do japanese. Gomennasai (well past that point) Also, apologies if this is already posted.

Rumic World

Inu-yasha.org

For those of you all that may be lazy like me, it says as follows:

Rumic World: In Shonen Sunday vol. 31 they announced that they would be making a big announcement regarding Inuyasha in SS vol. 34, which hits newsstands in Japan on July 22nd. Generally speaking this teaser could be about anything, but hopefully it's indicative of the anime continuing. Thanks to M.D. for passing this along.

They sited Inu-yasha.org as their source. Read/Discuss/Rant on dudes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3