• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Announces Licenses

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Ganeon licensed Samurai Champloo fast. It only started, I think, a month or so ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3860

Geneon had snagged this title a before the episodes even aired.
Goshin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I certainly was not surprised that Samurai Champloo was licensed. Like, Liann said, it was mentioned before.

As for Tenjou Tenge…well, to me, it seemed like a notable hit from the start. And with its hype and popularity, it was only a matter of time.
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Of course, the only reason Geneon licensed Champloo because of Watanabe's name. I bet anyone that when the DVD is released, on the cover, in big, bold font will be "From the creator of Cowboy Bebop!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:01 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
Of course, the only reason Geneon licensed Champloo because of Watanabe's name.

From what I hear, its quite a good show, but then they may have licensed it before production began. Based on Watanabe's previous track record, can you blame them?

Quote:
I bet anyone that when the DVD is released, on the cover, in big, bold font will be "From the creator of Cowboy Bebop!"

They'd be dumb not to do that.
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
So far, in my opinion, Champloo is very mediocre. I'm sure people who are claiming the anime great are trying to convince themselves of this. Just my opinion. Please don't bash upon me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:08 pm Reply with quote
FYI, just to prevent any confusion with the link on the front page, Geneon has licensed Hanaukyo Maid-tai: La Verite, not the first Hanaukyo Maid-tai series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:27 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:
So far, in my opinion, Champloo is very mediocre. I'm sure people who are claiming the anime great are trying to convince themselves of this. Just my opinion. Please don't bash upon me.

I wasn't convinceing my self that it was good. It is pretty awesome, but not much of a story so far, though I have only seen two episodes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
UberTai wrote:

I agree. Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus were good because they were very character-driven, but so far Samurai Champloo seems to be a glorious display of style over substance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote
goshin23 wrote:
As for Tenjou Tenge…well, to me, it seemed like a notable hit from the start. And with its hype and popularity, it was only a matter of time.

I was under the impression Tenjou Tenge had been licensed by Geneon before it aired as well.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I think Samurai Champloo is scheduled for 26 episodes. There have only been 2, so I don't think it's fair to say it's not character driven yet.

I like it just based on style. Of course, this is just a temporary rating, and it can change once I've seen all of it.

Someone already rated it "worst ever" after 2 episodes too. Jee, that person must be a prophet...

Nonetheless, I like it and that's all that matters. Razz
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
The first episode of Champloo was good, but the second one was surprisingly meh. It felt like an episode that belonged in the middle of a series, not the second episode.
davispike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so holdup. What version of Hanaukyo maid was licensed? The original, or the new one which re-tells the original?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I think Samurai Champloo is scheduled for 26 episodes. There have only been 2, so I don't think it's fair to say it's not character driven yet.

This is true. I mean, we can't rightly say the first three or four episodes of Cowboy Bebop were a deep, meaningful affair, right? They were pretty much all style just the same as Champloo is now.

UltimaShadowfax wrote:
The first episode of Champloo was good, but the second one was surprisingly meh. It felt like an episode that belonged in the middle of a series, not the second episode.

I hear that. And all the stylish little extras like those "turntable cuts" were missing, too. Hopefully the third episode improves greatly over the second.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenseiga323

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
FYI, just to prevent any confusion with the link on the front page, Geneon has licensed Hanaukyo Maid-tai: La Verite, not the first Hanaukyo Maid-tai series.

I wonder if this is really true Could put it up on the front page?
Alot of forums already think that it was the first Hanaukyo Maid that was licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3