• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Convergence Gets Live-Action Film Rights to Gungrave

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Why did it take so long? Razz

Considering how western the story is, it'll be pretty hard to mess up. This type of movie should be right up America's alley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Too cool! Let's hope they don't screw this one up as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I think that Gungrave would work as a live action movie. Certainly much better than some other anime series.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this movie isn't as awful as the TV series. Actually, I'd laugh if it was; the only good live action film adapted from an anime would actually be a film that improves upon a horrid source. :V
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Hopefully this movie isn't as awful as the TV series. Actually, I'd laugh if it was; the only good live action film adapted from an anime would actually be a film that improves upon a horrid source. :V

Eh? How was the tv series awful? I really haven't cared to get into mafia-type films or series, but borrowing the whole series from the library, I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable. Yeah, things may have become a little too crazy in some parts of the last half, but still pretty good.

Anyway, yeah, it'll be nice seeing what will be done in a live action movie... hope it won't take as long as to get off the ground as the Trigun movie did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
It starts off as a decent little mafia story that promises some supernatural redemption angle later on. Then...zombies. Just...zombies just appear (really, zombies were the Big Bad's big genius sinister plan to be the best mobster ever?), and then the whole thing degrades into a series of painfully set up boss fights (yes, because cannibalizing the supporting cast and completely doing away with half a series' worth of actually really decent character development just to have a bigger monster for Brandon Heat to blow up this week is a great idea, series writers), all culminating in a complete copout of an ending that more or less renders the entire violent vengeance march from the midpoint of the series to the end completely moot and completely pointless.

I felt cheated, really. A promising story was mangled for the sake of big zombie monster blow-em-up and horribly contrived "boss fights." Instead of integrating story and action, story was stopped for action, and by the time the story resumed it had sat congealing in the fridge for far too long to be salvageable. I guess the writers figured the first half of the series wasn't slavishly enough bound to the original video game so they made the second half an animated video game play-through, because honestly that's exactly what it felt like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
I didn't really mind the zombies (the Superiors were lame, but by that time I didn't care). Boss fights or not, the core of the show and the characterization were still as strong as ever.

This is one show that would translate very well to live action (zombies included), but I'd really like if they could get Imahori Tsuneo do the score. His music was an essential part of the series for me.
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
So we can expect fifteen minutes of awesome special effects and stuff, followed by an hour and fifteen minutes of flashback?

/sarcasm

Seriously. I think, MAYBE, Tenjou Tenge has a worse flashback sequence. Maybe. Its up in the air on this one, really.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:53 am Reply with quote
It would be somewhat ironic if they were able to get Robert Rodriguez to direct this, as Gungrave does have some inspiration from movies like Deperado (I think this is more obvious in the games than the anime, but still). I do think Rodriguez would be able to help make an excellent movie.

But, yeah, I'm having positive feelings on this as it's much more Western-friendly than the usual anime.
ParonoiaAgent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
It would be somewhat ironic if they were able to get Robert Rodriguez to direct this, as Gungrave does have some inspiration from movies like Deperado (I think this is more obvious in the games than the anime, but still). I do think Rodriguez would be able to help make an excellent movie.

But, yeah, I'm having positive feelings on this as it's much more Western-friendly than the usual anime.

He SHOULD direct it Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
This one seems doable at least. The plot isn't far removed from several Hollywood productions. Mafia, revenge, and shoot-outs are all things that have been done before so they have references. The rest is pretty simple conceptually, so I think it could work.
Tamagotchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm so eager for this to come out! It's about time! I just hope they don't Hollywood-ize it...
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
After seeing shots of the KoF movie, I can't say I have any hope for anything they put out.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the anime but it got a bit weird and out of place at the end... But I guess it was because it was supposed to lead up to the game's storyline? Never played the games. Anyway, this could be really great in live-action!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1