• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Confirms Blade, X-Men, Planet Hulk Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Planet Hulk isn't an anime, it's a Marvel animated film (like the previously released Hulk Vs.).

The anime were the previously known Iron Man and Wolverine, and then they announced X-Men and Blade.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Planet Hulk... Is that the storyline where they shot Hulk into space and he crash-landed on a primitive planet where he basically became Conan the Barbarian? Because the Civil War crossover was going on at the time and the author of Hulk wanted nothing to do with it? And it was widely decided to be the most awesome storyline of the year?

Ummm... this is just what I heard...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
There's already a Blade anime. It's called Vampire Hunter D. Rolling Eyes Anyway, the only Hulk I'd like to see in anime form is Grey Hulk.
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
Planet Hulk isn't an anime, it's a Marvel animated film (like the previously released Hulk Vs.).

Did you miss the part where it was announced today that it's being produced by Madhouse?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Planet Hulk... Is that the storyline where they shot Hulk into space and he crash-landed on a primitive planet where he basically became Conan the Barbarian? Because the Civil War crossover was going on at the time and the author of Hulk wanted nothing to do with it? And it was widely decided to be the most awesome storyline of the year?

Ummm... this is just what I heard...

that's the one. hopefully this leads to World War Hulk.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:00 pm Reply with quote
The animation for Hulk vs. was also done by Madhouse, in fact (source).
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see what they will do with the x-men. Planet Hulk could be cool since it already has a decent story and they just have to animate the comic. With the Xmen they have so much so i wonder what they will do. Something original or barrow some storry from the animated series or one of the many series in the comic. Will be interesting none the less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Soo.. who likes teaser trailers? I know I do..

Iron Man

Wolverine
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
godofchaos wrote:

Did you miss the part where it was announced today that it's being produced by Madhouse?

Done by Madhouse or not, it was left out of the anime presentation and specifically presented with the non anime Marvel animation.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ok, I daresay this news story is MUCH more "anime" than the press release that showed up on here about freakin' Titmouse, Inc. getting 2 new staff people! Metalocalypse is a great show, but it ain't anime!

As for Marvel stuff, I say if it's being animated by Madhouse, then it's at least anime by assocation that Madhouse is a major anime studio. Or are you gonna say that the Animatrix and that new Halo thing aren't anime, just because they're based on American storylines? Or how about Count of Monte Cristo: Ganjoukutsu? Or Romeo X Juliet? Or D-Grayman, for that matter? Alright now, the whole thing is just getting ridiculous! Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
There's already a Blade anime. It's called Vampire Hunter D. Rolling Eyes Anyway, the only Hulk I'd like to see in anime form is Grey Hulk.

Blade and Vampire Hunter D are absolutely nothing alike aside from the concept of a vampire hunting vampires, which is a concept explored in other mediums and stories since long before either existed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

As for Marvel stuff, I say if it's being animated by Madhouse, then it's at least anime by assocation that Madhouse is a major anime studio. Or are you gonna say that the Animatrix and that new Halo thing aren't anime, just because they're based on American storylines? Or how about Count of Monte Cristo: Ganjoukutsu? Or Romeo X Juliet? Or D-Grayman, for that matter? Alright now, the whole thing is just getting ridiculous! Very Happy

So The Simpons is Korean animation then, along with a plenty big stack of American and Japanese animation productions?

Madhouse doing storyboards for something, or even animating it, doesn't make it anime. Marvel's own panel report shows were discussing American animation, finished it by showing the Hulk trailer, then moved on to Marvel Anime.

Every single person involved with Marvel Anime said there were four Marvel anime productions multiple times, and the last paragraph of ANNs own panel report shows the panelists involved with Marvel Anime didn't include it in going over when all the anime would come out.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:
So The Simpons is Korean animation then, along with a plenty big stack of American and Japanese animation productions?

Korea's involvement in the Simpsons is little more than grunt work. It's churning out the frames of animation with no real creative control. These Marvel productions seem to imply that Madhouse will house some significant portion of the creative aspect of the production process, which would technically mean they could be called "anime" by virtue of sitting in the same international co-production grey area that Animatrix, Gotham Knight, and even Final Fantasy: Spirits Within all inhabit.

There are multiple ways to define anime, but if it comes down to splitting hairs over how much foreign studio involvement a project needs to be regarded as "proper anime," it's really best to draw the line at how much creative control the studios involved all have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarcFBR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
godofchaos wrote:

Korea's involvement in the Simpsons is little more than grunt work. It's churning out the frames of animation with no real creative control. These Marvel productions seem to imply that Madhouse will house some significant portion of the creative aspect of the production process, which would technically mean they could be called "anime" by virtue of sitting in the same international co-production grey area that Animatrix, Gotham Knight, and even Final Fantasy: Spirits Within all inhabit.

There are multiple ways to define anime, but if it comes down to splitting hairs over how much foreign studio involvement a project needs to be regarded as "proper anime," it's really best to draw the line at how much creative control the studios involved all have.

That's my point. For Marvel Anime, it's anime done by Madhouse (with some writing by Ellis), for the Marvel DTVs, it is hired grunt work. The Marvel Anime trailers all have the Madhouse logo animation at the beginning, Hulk's trailer doesn't, because it had nothing to do with Marvel Anime.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
godofchaos wrote:

That's my point. For Marvel Anime, it's anime done by Madhouse (with some writing by Ellis), for the Marvel DTVs, it is hired grunt work. The Marvel Anime trailers all have the Madhouse logo animation at the beginning, Hulk's trailer doesn't, because it had nothing to do with Marvel Anime.

That's right, and when they showed the Hulk trailer, it was very obvious it was in the same style as the other American Marvel dvd releases. It looked great and quite exciting, but it was nothing even closely resembling a Japanese animation style.

The other two trailers, however, for Marvel Anime, were completely amazing. The main guy from Madhouse really gave the impression they are trying really hard to make the anime shows work for both markets. Having Warren Ellis (who was a friggin hoot there) involved in the project certainly doesn't hurt either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2