• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Acknowledges Missing Oscars Due to Iraq War

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Not really all that unexpected given Miyazaki's penchant for strong political stances.
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
It would have been nice if he had spoken out against the war at the time, but I can understand why he didn't.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm with Miyazaki on that. I still don't like that we are in this war, especially considering that a couple people I know are over there or have been there in the past year.
N15PCA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
I start has saying I love Miyazaki work.

I guess I have to separate his views from this work or I wouldn't be able to see another work of his.

That's what I have to do with most people in Hollywood.

Last edited by N15PCA on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ok I understand the intention, but really-is skipping the oscars in order to make a political message really a sound decision? After all, most of our troops have been pulled out of Iraq now (woo!).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I think it's a childish stance. It's just another example of the mentality out there that got us in to the war in the first place. The administration and certain groups were bombing Iraq, I wasn't and neither were most of the people at the award show, nor did many of them even believe it was the right thing to do.

Giving a nation of free thinking people the finger because the administration did something beyond their control is just idiotic, just as assuming that muslims and islamic countries are somehow involved in terrorism because of that. It's crappy generalizing, and acting in that manner doesn't do anyone any favors.

Now if the White House or Congress asked him to come accept an award and he decided to decline to appear as a result of the war than that is valid. Declining to appear before the Academy, who were no part of the war, and many of which were strongly against it, because of that is evidence of latching to a generalization based on nationality and is rather childish. This is particularly the case if he wasn't even going to speak out about it. If he was that against the war then one person shouldn't have been able to keep him quiet. By keeping quiet he only eliminated any effect his boycott could have possibly had and made it a useless gesture.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
*sigh* This is why I hate being a fan of ANYTHING. EVENTUALLY someone's gonna come along and voice their ideas about something that is on an entirely different subject, most commonly politics.

It's like... Nothing is safe anymore. Can't I have some entertainment outlet to escape in?
N15PCA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
*sigh* This is why I hate being a fan of ANYTHING. EVENTUALLY someone's gonna come along and voice their ideas about something that is on an entirely different subject, most commonly politics.

It's like... Nothing is safe anymore. Can't I have some entertainment outlet to escape in?

I agree with that point for the most part has well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
I respect Miyazaki for having a firm resolve on the issue.

Still, skipping the Oscars? No offense, but who's going to notice if a Japanese cartoon director skips the Oscars? Certainly nobody over here, and certainly nobody will understand if it's a political statement you can't make until years later.

I understand it if it was just something he had to do for himself, though.

Miyazaki is beyond the Oscars anyway. The Oscars mean nothing, considering the crap they give awards to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Honestly, most of what this guy has said tends to make me think less of him. This certainly didn't buck that trend.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
"Miyazaki added that he decided to come to America six years later as a favor to his longtime friend, Pixar and Disney chief creative officer (and fellow Oscar-winning director) John Lasseter. "I thought I had to respond to my friendship with John Lasseter and come this time," Miyazaki said."

But...Miyazaki was in the US in 2005 too. At the MoMA. It's not like he hasn't been in the States all this time. (Yes, I know it's Miyazaki himself saying this.)
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Honestly, most of what this guy has said tends to make me think less of him. This certainly didn't buck that trend.
Huh?

You make it sound like his movies aren't absolutely loaded with pacifistic anti-war messages.

Better hope nobody asks him a question about climate change...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

You mean, like when he said he wished children would spend more time outside in nature?

The bastard! Not liking pointless wars and encouraging children to go get exercise!

I'm going to boycott everything he does from now on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I think it's a childish stance.

No, childish is asking a Native American woman to go on stage in your place and telling the audience that you can't accept your award because you object to how Native Americans are treated in film. Childish is using your acceptance speech to go on a crusade against the president.

No, Miyazaki-san declining an invite and avoiding public acknowledgment of his motivation to decline is not childish. It's f*cking smart.
Paludis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Still, skipping the Oscars? No offense, but who's going to notice if a Japanese cartoon director skips the Oscars? Certainly nobody over here, and certainly nobody will understand if it's a political statement you can't make until years later.

Who said he did it to be noticed? He just didn't want to go to America at that time, and I can fully understand that feeling Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9