• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic TSR Blu-ray - Win It Before You Can Buy It

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilydastrange

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I won the TSR vol 1 + boxset from that contest a few years back. I think it's only fitting that I take this one as well Wink
Starre257

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I have the DVD box set... which I never watched the second half of, because the first half was so violent. (I'll watch it someday, though...)

I entered anyway. No harm in it, really...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Heh, almost did what I did last time. Enter today's date Razz
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Starre257 wrote:
I have the DVD box set... which I never watched the second half of, because the first half was so violent. (I'll watch it someday, though...)

I entered anyway. No harm in it, really...

TSR is certainly more hardcore than the previous seasons, but it's very solid. And the last episode is the best part (probably my favorite mecha battle of all time), so you're definitely missing out there. Still, I can understand being put off by the violence. It's not as violent as some (like Baccano), but there isn't much in the way of comedy to lighten it up either (unlike Baccano). There's certainly comedy in TSR, but it's mostly in the beginning episodes and then at the very end.

Personally, I'd say that TSR has the best drama of the 3 seasons while Fumoffu has the best comedy, but they each focus on those areas respectively while the first season went for a more balanced approach.

In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to getting this on Blu-ray. It's too bad that we'll probably never get the other two seasons on Blu-ray though, since ADV has the license for them and is in no shape to be releasing anything on Blu-ray right now. But still, TSR is definitely the FMP season which most deserves to be in HD and I'd much rather have it in HD than none of them.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Heh, almost did what I did last time. Enter today's date Razz

LOL. Me too.

In any case, I think that they really need to reword that part about only entering the date if you're 13 or older. I had to reread it several times to make sure that I understood it correctly (at first, I thought that it wanted you to enter it if you were under 13). All they really need to say is that the contest is only for those 13 and older and throw away any entries where the person is too young. The current wording is way more complex than it needs to be.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Blu-ray, christ I'm still waiting for the DVDs to get the R2 treatment.
pepperonipizzapie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, in the mailing address box I pressed enter so I could enter in my city/state/zip code and it ended up submitting my entry. I wonder if they could get by with just a street address Razz

Well, I guess that's what e-mail confirmation is for
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I don't even own a Blu-Ray player, but I entered anyway. More reason for me to get around to getting one, though I've never been impressed with the video difference.
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
pepperonipizzapie wrote:
Wow, in the mailing address box I pressed enter so I could enter in my city/state/zip code and it ended up submitting my entry. I wonder if they could get by with just a street address Razz

Well, I guess that's what e-mail confirmation is for

Crud, I just realized I did the same thing! Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
And to think I just found out FUNi was releasing all these BDs just a week ago... excellent. Now to think really hard about the t-shirt I just signed up for, and maybe I will stand a chance.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Because I watched the other two seasons and Greg Ayres and Luci Christian was in the show, I felt compeled to watch the rest of the series. Despite being a bit too violent for my tastes.

But Full Metal Panic TSR in Blu-Ray? Completely never saw that coming. Got to hand it to Funimation though, Blu-Ray FMP is going to look exceptionally nice.
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Are they ever going to make a third series proper?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:32 am Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
Are they ever going to make a third series proper?

As far as I know, there has never been an official statement on the matter. There's plenty more to adapt and it's popular enough, so you'd think that they'd want to. I believe that the author has helped Kyoto Animation on some other stuff as well, so he's still associated with them, so that could help. But this is Kyoto Animation that we're talking about. They take forever to get to anything, even if they do do it. At least it's usually worth the wait since they usually do very high quality work.

Personally, I think that there's a high chance that they'll get to it eventually, but Kyoto Animation has a number of things on their plate right now and they don't generally don't do more than one - maybe two - series at once. So, unfortunately, we're stuck waiting for the moment.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:56 am Reply with quote
Nice. Now I'm glad I never got around to getting the DVD set. Nice to see more bluray releases. Though why the need to "remaster" a show a few years old from the digital animation age is beyond me. Just a buzz word I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
Once I win this prize, I'm going to trade it with the winner of the Dragonball movie prize.

Yeah, right!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2