• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
San Diego Comic Con: Hayao Miyazaki Q&A

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I keep wondering if Lasseter doesn't have some secret yaoi of him and Miyazaki stashed away somewhere in his room. Laughing I mean, his love of the guy's anime goes beyond the medium, if you know what I mean. Wink So did any of the ANN crew at the panel nab Miya-san's autograph?

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused...if they're friends how do they communicate? Do they always keep a translator on hand, or is Lasseter fluent in Japanese?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
at 3:33... did he just burp? Anyway, I was able to see Miyazaki at UC Berkeley last Saturday. It was really neat to hear him speak for almost 2 hours. He seems very modest and reserved. They even allowed people from the audience to hand in questions that he later answered on stage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Are there any transcripts of the Q and A available? I like to read through them quickly and skip over any of the terrible questions that always manage to sneak in. (I'll never get over some creep in Code Geass cosplay standing up and asking Masao Maruyama if he likes chocolate at Otakon 2008)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
David: At the Academy thingy, we had to write in questions, and Lasseter would screen them. Mad
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
David: At the Academy thingy, we had to write in questions, and Lasseter would screen them. Mad

well, that was the same thing here at Berkeley. The audience wrote the question out, then they handed them to ushers. From there Im sure they were screened back stage by one of the professors, then they were handed off to Roland Kelts (who was the "interviewer"). Then he was scanning them quickly to see which ones he thought were best. Was kind of anoying actually, since most of the questions asked were lame, such as "which is your favorite movie that you've made", to which he replied "that would be like choosing your favorite child". Another question would be if he would ever attempt to make a live action film (he made a very sour face while shaking his head furiously... was kinda funny actually). Eh, i shouldn't complain, I probably would have asked a similar question.

on a side note about the Berkeley event, Roland Kelts looked and acted very, very nervous. Wonder if he had stage fright.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lolotakun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Well, is it really modesty or is he just being snotnosed in front of that nearly orgasming audience and an almost submissive John Lasseter? His explanations are not that insightful.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Lolotakun wrote:
Well, is it really modesty or is he just being snotnosed in front of that nearly orgasming audience and an almost submissive John Lasseter? His explanations are not that insightful.
It's due to the collectivism cultural upbringing, you can say that's just how Japanese will react to a situation like this. They were taught to behave in a vary neutral, almost monotonic manner in order to address people and individual alike. And if you want them to be creative and original, they'll most likely turn out to just behave like they think how you would want them to. In other word, they're very "submissive" in order to gain "acceptance" and "approval", almost like how women would behave naturally. I said "almost" because none of the Female characters that Miyazaki created were like that at all, and yet they're all individually unique while being noble and strong all the same.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was only the second time he appeared in America, and his first in ten years.

I keep seeing people saying this everywhere they mention Miyazaki's visit for Comic-Con (and other things). And it's completely not true.

Miyazaki was in New York four years ago. He attended the MoMA's premiere of Howl's Moving Castle. The guy was 4 feet away from me (I went on a whim to see if I could get a ticket, which I couldn't, so I figured I'd just hang around for a while until Miyazaki showed up).

Don't places like ANN even check their own news archives?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-05-31/miyazaki-to-be-present-at-howl-premiere
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1