• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Retains Financial Advisor to Consider Strategies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
What's strange is that 4Kids stock price is completely unaffected by all of this...you'd think that'd it take a major hit or something, but apparently not.

So, I guess things at 4Kids will continue like normal until they reach a decision. Which is fine with me, as long as they keep uploading subbed anime.
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
What this sounds like to me (retaining a financial advisor and rolling out subtitled anime) is that they are grasping at the last straws they've got. They must be in SERIOUS trouble if they've been reduced to putting out subtitled anime after YEARS of fighting it, and put out dubbed, hacked up anime instead. Had they put out the anime they owned back in the day SUBBED, they MIGHT still be afloat. Sadly, at this point I think we're looking at a sinking ship.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
What this sounds like to me (retaining a financial advisor and rolling out subtitled anime) is that they are grasping at the last straws they've got. They must be in SERIOUS trouble if they've been reduced to putting out subtitled anime after YEARS of fighting it, and put out dubbed, hacked up anime instead. Had they put out the anime they owned back in the day they MIGHT still be afloat. Sadly, at this point I think we're looking at a sinking ship.

Actually, if you read on their YouTube FAQ page, the subtitled anime project had been planned for nearly two years now.

Quote:
Why did you load Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 in Japanese without subtitles? ARE YOU IDIOTS?

Well no, we’re not. We just wanted everyone to learn Japanese. Wink

Seriously, subtitles are one of the most OBVIOUS things and in fact we wanted to do it straight away. It took the better part of two years of effort just to get approvals – literally around the world – for us to get the “go ahead.” When we got final approvals, we thought that it would be cool to release what we had – the original language with original music and NO EDITS – and then gauge fans’ reactions – which was overwhelmingly positive (sorry haters). Also we had to demonstrate that there was an audience and viable business model for this experiment – which is still a TBD. We’ve started to hit some basic bench marks and that’s why we’ve been able to get some resources dedicated to help us do some cool things.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought 4kids policy was not to comment on rumors or speculation?

I love this:
Quote:
Why did you load Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 in Japanese without subtitles? ARE YOU IDIOTS?

Well no, we’re not. We just wanted everyone to learn Japanese.

Quote:
you stupid blank-ety blank censor blanks?

You can't learn Japanese without knowing what they are saying, I second the Idiots comment, But I am sure the reason is that the TV networks hold the broadcasting rights to the dubed shows so 4kids can't go elsewere to broadcast there shows like Youtube or a diffrent TV channel.

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I thought 4kids policy was not to comment on rumors or speculation?
Well their policy is kinda out the window now....being that their whole existance is probably on the line.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Im so crossing my fingers for 4Kids to go bankrupt or something... Im sorry, but lately, they've just been getting worse and worse...
I sent them an email once, and they had absolutely no explanation for the in show score removals. japanese intro's and endings and songs, sure, but what about the music in the show? why get rid of that? Im guessing licensing issues and stuff, but come on, they could at least put some effort into it and make decent soundtracks... instead of their default "4kids pack" they seem to put in almost every anime that isnt Yugioh or Pokemon.

Well, we'll see what happens, I guess.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4Kids' Board of Directors plans to consider options "including, but not limited to, asset sales

This might keep them afloat & may be a chance to free up anything they still hold license to. Issue is how soon do their licenses expire (wait it out?) & do the surviving licensing companies want to bother with the selection.
I'd think they'd keep their most profitable lines, though.
I can't believe it took 2 yrs to get permission to subtitle. Maybe to post it on You-Tube for all to see for free. Maybe for them to squeeze every penny they could from what they have until they really didn't mind losing the waning profits..
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
What's strange is that 4Kids stock price is completely unaffected by all of this...you'd think that'd it take a major hit or something, but apparently not.

You're wrong on two counts. 4Kids' share price jumped noticeably immediately after the Paidcontent.org announcement yesterday.

Normally talk of acquisition, especially with companies that aren't doing well, pushes the stock price up. So no, you shouldn't think that it would "take a hit."

Quote:
Which is fine with me, as long as they keep uploading subbed anime.

Huh ? Are we talking about the same 4Kids ?

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
Im so crossing my fingers for 4Kids to go bankrupt or something... Im sorry, but lately, they've just been getting worse and worse...
I sent them an email once, and they had absolutely no explanation for the in show score removals. japanese intro's and endings and songs, sure, but what about the music in the show? why get rid of that? Im guessing licensing issues and stuff, but come on, they could at least put some effort into it and make decent soundtracks... instead of their default "4kids pack" they seem to put in almost every anime that isnt Yugioh or Pokemon.

Well, we'll see what happens, I guess.

I don't understand this. I didn't like what they did to Tokyo Mew Mew or Ojamajo Doremi or One Piece but I would never wish for them to fail. Those are actual people that work there and despite their hack jobs they introduced many of us to lots of series.
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well i bet they fell dumb that they got rid of pokemon. Get it back and thell suceed. TRUSTME 4KIDS
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Well Perhaps I was out of line a bit... after all, they ARE releasing subs and it IS a business, meaning they need to make their profit.
Just kinda get fed up with their edits sometimes. Sometimes the edits just make so little sense...
but we'll see. like I said... d:
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
jonindarkrai wrote:
Well i bet they fell dumb that they got rid of pokemon. Get it back and thell suceed. TRUSTME 4KIDS

They didn't "get rid of it." Their license expired and the licensor (Pokemon USA / Nintendo) decided not to renew it. Instead, Pokemon USA now controls the license directly and is keeping all that money that they used to share with 4Kids.

Al Kahn, CEO of 4Kids, has made his anger over this issue abundantly clear many times.

-t
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Huh ? Are we talking about the same 4Kids ?

There's only one 4Kids Entertainment as far as I know. Wink
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
jonindarkrai wrote:

They didn't "get rid of it." Their license expired and the licensor (Pokemon USA / Nintendo) decided not to renew it. Instead, Pokemon USA now controls the license directly and is keeping all that money that they used to share with 4Kids.

Al Kahn, CEO of 4Kids, has made his anger over this issue abundantly clear many times.

-t

Wow, I hadn't heard of that...
Interesting thing there. So whats next for the Pokemon anime? Anything?
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
jonindarkrai wrote:

-t

Hehe, yeah that was quite something. Around when Pokemon was starting to get big, Nintendo and their associates were amazed how much money it was making...until they realized how much more they SHOULD have been making had they not cooperated with 4kids, which is one of the reasons they're not renewing the license. Yeah, Al Kahn isn't too happy losing that cash cow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2