• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-08-07]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why Anime shows are getting shorter and shorter. While thirteen- and twenty-six-episode series are still common, they aren't nearly as dominant as a few years ago. Shows are no longer thirteen episodes, they are eleven or twelve (or, rarely, fourteen). Full-season shows are anywhere between twenty-two and twenty-seven episodes, with twenty-four being the popular choice. Why is this?

In America cartoons are put up for sixty-five-episode runs; thirteen weeks at one per weekday. That's why Robotech had to scrounge off three shows and not two.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm curious as to why Anime shows are getting shorter and shorter. While thirteen- and twenty-six-episode series are still common, they aren't nearly as dominant as a few years ago. Shows are no longer thirteen episodes, they are eleven or twelve (or, rarely, fourteen). Full-season shows are anywhere between twenty-two and twenty-seven episodes, with twenty-four being the popular choice. Why is this?

Well, since you have to buy the air time (versus the channel buying your show), if you can shave off an episode or two and still tell your story well, it could be a better investment of your money; you get a complete series for people to buy on DVD, but don't have to buy the few extra slots. Bakemonogatari, to pick up on the series people keep mentioning but that I haven't watched yet, is actually going to be 15 episodes, but is only airing 12 of them on TV, with the others online.

Quote:
In America cartoons are put up for sixty-five-episode runs; thirteen weeks at one per weekday. That's why Robotech had to scrounge off three shows and not two.

The ones that played in the afternoon for kids to watch when they came home from school, sure. But certainly not shows that air on Adult Swim. Or The Simpsons, Futurama, or Family Guy. Avatar: the Last Airbender did each season at 22 episodes.

And again, in America, a station buys the show from you; you don't have to buy the air time. The situation's very different.

But a question: do Sazae-san and some of the other shows that perpetually make the top ten list every week air only once a week or daily?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Anime is viewed, much like it is in America, as mainly for kids and sexually frustrated teenagers - and, worst of all, socially inept shut-ins.

To be fair, you do get things like Fuji TV's Noitamina slot which is anime aimed at the non-otaku audience, that doesn't rely on moe or fanservice (unless you count the 2000 naked guys in Eden of the East as fanservice...!) but generally has good stories.

[/i]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
To be fair, you do get things like Fuji TV's Noitamina slot which is anime aimed at the non-otaku audience, that doesn't rely on moe or fanservice (unless you count the 2000 naked guys in Eden of the East as fanservice...!) but generally has good stories.

The Noitamina slot was basically created to combat the child-or-otaku phenomenon and bring high quality anime back into the mainstream.

And since I've loved most of the shows they've aired (including Honey and Clover, now streaming on Hulu, go watch it, it is wonderful), and their shows tend to break in to the weekly top ten on anime in spite of being on at 12:45 at night when no other late-night programs do so well... mission accomplished, perhaps? Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Fun question this week, I think some of my greatest deals have been Akira vol 6 for $7 in near new condition, shopping in TRSI's bargain bin, and Key the Metal Idol for less than $20.

As for shonen vs shojo romance, I think part of the reason shonen romances are less serious is because they're usually romantic comedies in which the objective is to create comedy and not drama and sometimes shock value. In a shonen, the relationship of age and gender can be fairly standard so long as laughs ensue (see Maison Ikkoku) and in shojo, mixing up genders and ages only adds to potential dramatic situations (see Moon Child).
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
Are TRSI's 10/$50 sales and that booth at cons that sells old shows like Revolutionary Girl Utena for $10/DVD worth mentioning in the Hey Answerfans thing, or is that really too common?
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
That haruhi thing is so true. At first I thought they were trying to be creative but something else is going on. Can someone please explain to me what is happening to our animes.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see that SHAFT has become such a publicly known name these days! Before zetsubou sensei, Shinbo was the most cult of cult favorite directors, but now people are hearing about him! I just hope this leads more people to check out his older work as well!

I'm also very clad someone mentioned the new Cobra! Always good to know it's not forgotten.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
In a shonen, the relationship of age and gender can be fairly standard so long as laughs ensue (see Maison Ikkoku).

Maison Ikkoku is seinen.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I can tell the story of how I found 3 complete box sets in the trash one day when I was at work. Does that count as a deal because I didn't pay anything for them?

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I wonder if I can tell the story of how I found 3 complete box sets in the trash one day when I was at work one day. Does that count as a deal because I didn't pay anything for them?

Where do you work? I want to apply. Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
Oriana3k wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
I wonder if I can tell the story of how I found 3 complete box sets in the trash one day when I was at work. Does that count as a deal because I didn't pay anything for them?

Where do you work? I want to apply. Very Happy

I work in sanitation management for a private business

spoiler[I'm a trashman]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

If they work, are not bootlegs and are series you haven't seen before then you're in the clear. Three official boxsets full of working DVDs which themselves are full of Anime you haven't watched; that would be a fabulous deal.

If I may ask, what were the names of the Anime?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

If they work, are not bootlegs and are series you haven't seen before then you're in the clear. Three official boxsets full of working DVDs which themselves are full of Anime you haven't watched; that would be a fabulous deal.

If I may ask, what were the names of the Anime?

They were legit and fully functional thinpaks of Nerima Daikon Brothers, Yumeria, and Sorcerer Hunters. All previously unseen.

I originally was going to use the story of how I got the Eva Platinum + Tin brand new for $42, but I think this would make a much better email.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Well, since you have to buy the air time (versus the channel buying your show), if you can shave off an episode or two and still tell your story well...

I find that a short running time does nothing to hinder a good story. Many of the 26-episode series I've seen felt a little too long, and I'd sometimes have to sit through up to three episodes in a sitting to satisfy me whenever the plot would slow its pace.
Two of my favourite anime are only 60 and 25 minutes in length respectively. Though characters may not be developed as well as in a lengthy series, if the narrative can pull through nonetheless I'll make no complaint about an anime that scrimps on running time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4