• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Adds Benjamin's Remember Manhua, Reschedules Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
They're still trying to resolve those Kino's Journey problems? Well, that's good news. I've been waiting for vol. 2 since they released volume 1.

Now if only Tokyopop would update their status on the Good Witch of the West property. I don't care if I'm the only one who buys them, I want more.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
Glad to see V.B. Rose there since it's one series that I am considering checking out. However...WHERE IS SUPPLI VOLUME FOUR? Why has it not be rescheduled yet?

Sad
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
I really like the fact that tokyopop is one of the few companies that really pay respect to novel series.

HERE'S HOPING FOR FATE/ ZERO!!!!!!!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
so... potential hope for Kino no Tabi... but what about Scrapped Princess?
DPX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
I really like the fact that tokyopop is one of the few companies that really pay respect to novel series.

You're joking...right?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
Wait... volume 1 of Kino's Journey's actually came out? I thought I ordered it, but it never got released. Maybe it got bumped. Bah. Also, Orange had some beautiful art, so more does sound nice.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wait... volume 1 of Kino's Journey's actually came out? I thought I ordered it, but it never got released. Maybe it got bumped. Bah. Also, Orange had some beautiful art, so more does sound nice.

Yeah it came out, but depending on when you ordered it it went out of print pretty fast I think. I ordered mine within the first 3 months, and I don't think our distributors ever was able to re-supply. For the longest time people were asking +50$ for a used copy on Amazon. I haven't seen the numbers but from the word of mouth sense it seems like Kino, outside of 12 Kingdoms, was their most sucessful title released.

Aparently the Japanese publisher REALLY didn't like Tokyopop re-arranging some of the chapters in the first Kino book, but I've heard various reasons why they're denying Tokyopop the next couple licenses.

Either way I hope we'll see the next couple volumes eventually here stateside. I don't think Tokyopop really pays "respect" to their novels. They treat them like manga, not like books in terms of binding type (12 Kingdoms is the exception) and they don't seem to advertise them like books should be advertised. Instead they categorize them under animation/graphic novel when I think they'd do just as fine in the YA section of a bookstore. At least Haruhi is being treated like a real book by Little Brown. I can only hope it's successful and gives little brown interest in bringing over more series.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Now if only Tokyopop would update their status on the Good Witch of the West property. I don't care if I'm the only one who buys them, I want more.

You're not the only one who bought the Good Witch manga & novels. And I want more too. I've accepted that the novel series will likely remain unfinished. But there's only one more manga volume left in the series. Can't we at least get that one published?

littlegreenwolf wrote:
they [Tokyopop] don't seem to advertise them like books should be advertised. Instead they categorize them under animation/graphic novel when I think they'd do just as fine in the YA section of a bookstore.

Actually when Tokyopop first introduced its novel line, they sold them as YA fiction and that's where the novels were originally placed. The novels sold even worse there. Manga fans like me couldn't find the books, and the usual YA shoppers didn't buy them. It wasn't until Tokyopop asked the bookstores to reclassify and reshelve the novels with the manga that the novels started having any sales at all.
silverwings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Yay for VB Rose 6! Boo for still no mention of Rave Master...
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
GordanHam wrote:

You're joking...right?

No. O really loved the .hack// novels and I'm hoping if the fate/ stay night manga does well enough for them they will persue the fate/ zero novels. Don't you hope so too?
DPX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
DPX wrote:
GordanHam wrote:

You're joking...right?

No. O really loved the .hack// novels and I'm hoping if the fate/ stay night manga does well enough for them they will persue the fate/ zero novels. Don't you hope so too?

I was talking about how they "pay respect to novel series". TP, along with every other manga company in existence (save for Yen Press, as of now at least) is incapable of releasing novels. Hell, if you look at their cancellation list after their implosion, they pretty much lost their entire novel line, and they have yet to say much of anything about said line.

And, no, I DON’T ever want them to touch the Fate/Zero novels. First of all, them getting the manga doomed it to mediocrity, like all other TP titles. They are charging $11, yet are giving us HALF of the quality of the Japanese edition. Fun fact, every fate manga from Japan has had the first four pages in full color . Same can’t be aid for TP version, yet they have no problems up charging the damn thing. And the zero novels have even more color pages than the manga.

Also, I don’t want the, to get the series and cancel it like they will eventually do, as it now dooms the license as a whole. We all know how that worked out with seven seas light novel line, and now we have a ton of series that are forever doomed because fail company went way over their damn heads!

If anyone gets Zero, I would want it to be a company fails less than TP. Del Rey or Yen come to mind.

Quote:
Actually when Tokyopop first introduced its novel line, they sold them as YA fiction and that's where the novels were originally placed. The novels sold even worse there. Manga fans like me couldn't find the books, and the usual YA shoppers didn't buy them. It wasn't until Tokyopop asked the bookstores to reclassify and reshelve the novels with the manga that the novels started having any sales at all.

Yes, but did the advertise the novels in the YA section, or did they just put them on the shelf and cross their fingers? because I think it might be the latter
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means that VB Rose will be printed on the new thicker paper that TP said they would start in October (its original release date), or that cheapie thin stuff they've been using since March.

At any rate, I'm so happy they're resuming this title. I really enjoy it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that ANN actually reported on B't X in this article. As the person who asked that question I thought that no other site would even bother to mention it... Maybe there's another one of the "8, but passionate" B't X fans over at ANN. Either way it's nice to see that piece of info put up, as I really do hope that TokyoPop will release that one last volume of B't X; they already went through about 3 years of having only 2 releases of that series per year and got the second-to-last volume, so they might as well finish it up, even if it has to be an online-only thing.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
You're not the only one who bought the Good Witch manga & novels. And I want more too. I've accepted that the novel series will likely remain unfinished. But there's only one more manga volume left in the series. Can't we at least get that one published?

My thoughts exactly! We aren't getting the ending of the novel any time soon, so all we have is this final volume and I am dying to see how it ends, and how different it is from the anime ending which has had quite a number of differences so far. It's just one single volume and they'll be done! I'll quit pestering about the novels as long as they give me the final manga volume.

That and I just want some more Rune, dammit.
NekoYousei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that nothing was said about Junai Tokko Taicho (aka "Love Attack")...I picked it up not too long ago and I'm on volume 3 of (currently) 6. 7 was supposed to be released in June. I really want to read the rest of the series, but is it worth my money to buy something that my end up being dropped?
*SAD*
Also, just fyi, I know this is not a long wait, (*remembers waiting a year for the 5th and final ParaKiss volume*), for this manga...I'm just upset that it is MIA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2