• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Play Arts Reimi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
It does not look alike because the US version has the characters switched from Anime to CG versions of the characters. If you compare it to the original Japanese release they look similar.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Cool looking toys, although I haven't played the game it might look like renting and possibly buying the game. Either way, the figures look cool.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
That's really what makes me sad about Star Ocean. Squaresoft was the worst thing to happen to that series. The first two were great games, but even though when Til the End of Time came out, everyone was all, "OMG, pretty!", the gameplay and battle system went down the drain. They kinda made up for it by relaxing the combo limits and changing up the system in 'The Last Hope', but imo, the damage has been done, and we'll never see the glory days of SO and SO:TSS again. Sad

But that is a nicely detailed figure, even for its flaws.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Starbug wrote:
It does not look alike because the US version has the characters switched from Anime to CG versions of the characters. If you compare it to the original Japanese release they look similar.

Uuuhhh...dude, no? There's absolutely no frakking difference between the two. It's the exact same damn game.

Other than the mediocre Japanese audio track, and the god-awful English one...
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Uuuhhh...dude, no? There's absolutely no frakking difference between the two. It's the exact same damn game.

There is a difference. The Japanese version of the game used anime portraits in the game. They changed them to CG portraits in the American release of the game.
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling the Edge and Reimi figures would be like this so I strayed away from them. I'm glad I did. Confused

Great Krauser photo. Razz
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on, you give this one to Krauser, but not last week's Queen's Blade figure? Razz

*edit* Upon reading the actual article, I am disappointed at how the figure turned out. I've never played Star Ocean, but her character art in this article was quite nice. Even that shot of Edge has the same horrible shoulder joints. Reimi looks pretty, shame her figure was wasted with the bad jointing and hands.

Last edited by RogueJedi86 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I think she looks like the character design way more than some of those celebrity dolls I bought my daughter over the years.
You admit it's a lesser known franchise, thus they probably figure they're selling fewer dolls, yet you want the same motion range as a figure expected to sell possibly 10 times more copies? The option would likely be cheap out a bit, or raise the price range which would cut into sales. The price is usually set in the license bidding I thought.
Yeah, compared to the FF & KH stuff, it might be a disappointment, but were I a fan of a smaller title like this, I would probably be happy to get any figure at all. I'm always happy to get gal title figures like KKM
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice looking figure, too bad you can't get the top off.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It is funny to me that this figure is reviewed very well, yet last weeks figure was more about what the series was and how Rob did not like these types of figures. So to me last week's Astroy toy was not a review. Cool
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Those figures don't look that bad. Of course, I'm judging by pictures.

Besides, I think most people won't want to be reminded of the disappointment of SO4's potential vs what Tri Ace delivered.
Starbug

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Looks like you have not heard. Same game but they changed the designs.

http://gaygamer.net/2009/02/star_ocean_4_coming_to_us_now.html
nobinobita

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Starbug wrote:

Here's what Reimi's character art looks like from the game:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bgZDaihSR3U/SJsxN_57WXI/AAAAAAAABIA/tKIv4GelOQQ/s1600-h/so4_reimi.png

The toy is pretty spot on. I think reviewers often jump the gun when it comes to negative criticism. I've never played this game, but I was able to see the original character art with a quick google search.

If anything the CG model is off compared to the toy : P
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
That's really what makes me sad about Star Ocean. Squaresoft was the worst thing to happen to that series. The first two were great games, but even though when Til the End of Time came out, everyone was all, "OMG, pretty!", the gameplay and battle system went down the drain. They kinda made up for it by relaxing the combo limits and changing up the system in 'The Last Hope', but imo, the damage has been done, and we'll never see the glory days of SO and SO:TSS again. Sad

But that is a nicely detailed figure, even for its flaws.

As a fan of RPG games in general I pretty much agree. It's not that I dislike Squaresoft but it has been evident for a while now that anything without FF in the title gets sloppy seconds....or thirds in some cases. And as we can see it applies to figures as well. Which is a shame because I actually in some ways like Star Ocean better then FF anymore. I would love to see a nice well articulated set of figures for SO. Aesthetically the figure looks pretty decent but in terms of funaction and posing I think you'd be hard press to do a whole lot with this figure. Especially if you have the bow in her hand (if it stays that is). To me with any type of joint figure the functionality of it is just as important as the look and design. if I can't move and pose the figure for shit really it probably is just not worth the money unless you're a diehard fan of the series. Just how I regard jointed figures anyways. I like to be able to pose all of mine in super flying Bruce Lee kicks lol.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
John Casey wrote:

There is a difference. The Japanese version of the game used anime portraits in the game. They changed them to CG portraits in the American release of the game.

Oh, yeah. I thought he was talking about the in-game models.

Still though...dude, that's like, as insignificant as a cosmetic change gets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2