• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guilt over buying anime from Big Lots?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bitter Almonds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I've never seen anime other than DBZ, Pokemon, and Beyblade being sold at the local Big Lots (which used to be a Pic 'n Save... are those still around?). Nothing beats 3USD for new anime, but I wouldn't buy any of the titles listed in this thread, except for Memories (I already own that from way back, though).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
As long as the DVDs are legit than it is all right.

Buying the dvds are still better than people who never support the industry and mooch off everyone.

^ I would've said the same thing. Sure the prices are cheaper, but you're still buying legitimate copies and contributing money to "the system." Hypothetical situation, but if nobody bought anime at Big Lots, then Big Lots might stop taking it, and Bandai would have to deal with mountains of unsold inventory, or find another liquidation outlet with worse prices or less favorable terms. And from my understanding, BL is Bandai's go-to place for liquidating old stock, much like how other companies use rightstuf and its Bargain Bin.

Now, the argument could be made that watching a series in fansubs within days of its Japanese airing and then waiting 4 years for it to hit the clearance rack before buying it is immoral. But that introduces too many variables to the equation, and there's no need to get into that scenario.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Last Saturday, I went to another Big Lots and picked up Digimon: The Movie and Hell Girl Vol. 5 for $3 each (was planning to get the upcoming Viridian boxset, but guess I'll go with the artbox/singles instead. Plus, the single came with two great art cards, I hope the rest do as well! Smile ). Also saw a few singles for Glass Fleet, School Rumble, and Galaxy Highways, but I already own the Season 1 boxset of School Rumble, and the other two I'll get the boxsets someday.
Hepzibah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Based on the suggestion from this place, I convinced my family to swing by Big Lots while we were out shopping on Saturday. After much digging through the DVD shelves, I found Tekkonkinkreet for $3. I have never seen it, but I figured for that price, it would be worth checking out.

They had a couple of random IGPX discs in there, and Volume 6 of Planetes, but I didn't pick those up. Never saw any of IGPX, and waiting until I can pick up the box set for Planetes. I've already seen a little bit of Planetes, and it would be too odd to just start at the very last disc and work backwards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn I should go check my Big Lots Laughing

Anyway as many have concurred buying Bargain, secondhand or whatever is a legit way of still buying the product. Companies want to make money but they know the consumer wants to save money that's why they give bargains or coupons or specials. Your still buying retail. It's the same if you watch Streams that are ad supported.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Went back in tonight & picked up Gundam Seed Destiny vols 6 & 8-12... The large-ish selection I had originally posted about was pretty picked over & not that much was left. Maybe there are more anime fans in my area than I had thought?

I had seen Seed on CN back in the day & didn't hate it (I'm more of a UC guy though I also really enjoy 00) but likely wouldn't have bothered with Destiny if it wasn't at this price point. I'll probably start trying to track down the other volumes fairly soon so I can try to avoid out-of-print prices...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
The bottom line is that you are still paying for the stuff. I myself shop based on the best bargains I can get simply because I live on an exceedingly slim budget; fact of the matter is, if I couldn't get it cheap, then I couldn't get it at all. I'm sure the industry would rather I pay them the lowest possible price for everything than not afford it and thus pay them absolutely nothing, and I'm sure they'd think the same of anyone else in that position.

So don't feel bad that you found a good deal. Rejoice! It's legal, you're giving back to the industry by paying for anime as opposed to ripping it off somewhere, and it doesn't break your bank -- win-win-win situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote
It really is worth mentioning (and perhaps repeating) that the DVDs sold at Big Lots generally come direct from the distributors, not some chain store that went out of business. If you look closely you'll notice there's a trend; usually (but not all of) the anime DVDs found at Big Lots are either from Bandai or FUNimation and almost always the same titles/volumes from store to store. You aren't hurting the industry by getting a good deal, but rather helping it by clearing out some much need storage space from DVDs that have for the most part been long since replaced by box sets or discontinued outright. Currently they're doing a big Warner Brothers sale, selling everything from Smallville to Animaniacs box sets for only $6!

I would guess that I've spent over $100 on anime DVDs at big lots, some singles, some box sets over the last five years. I have no regrets, I've managed to get quite a few things I wouldn't have been able to get otherwise. Galaxy Angel starter box set with figures? Sure! Limited final volume of .hack//sign with episodes not available on the series box set? Sold! It's been a great opportunity.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I've found loads at Big Lots and I don't feel to guilty about it. I got Kodocha 1 and then bought the box set and gave the single away. They don't just have clear out stuff, I found Tsubasa 5 that had a broken case which would explain why no one bought it for list price.

I would be wary of buying the Flag singles. I have all four and my disc one will not play episode 3 and 4. I think I'm gonna just watch the fansubs and try not to feel to bad about that. Something about fansubs makes me feel bad but I suppose that this time it is validated.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I would be wary of buying the Flag singles. I have all four and my disc one will not play episode 3 and 4. I think I'm gonna just watch the fansubs and try not to feel to bad about that. Something about fansubs makes me feel bad but I suppose that this time it is validated.

I did have a problem with one of the Flag dvds, it hung during the opening song but luckily didn't during the actual episode itself. Glad about that too as it's a really good series & I didn't want to miss anything. The ending was a surprise & sad & still easily worth the $12 I spent on the whole series...
One Vorlon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Hepzibah wrote:
You can find anime at Big Lots? Seriously? Must think of a good excuse to go there the next time I'm shopping in that area. . .

The problem finding anime at Big Lots is the incredibly eclectic mix you find. In my experience, they'll get 1 copy of volume 1 and 5 copies of volume 6, etc.

And while there's often a mix of high profile (such as Fullmetal Alchemist) and no name stuff (such as Hoop Days, "the good stuff" often goes fast - and its not limited to one per person. Plus there's no guarantee that your local Big Lots will have the full list of anime on hand - mine only gets about a third or so of what other people find.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
I have bought Memories (which was great) from Big Lots. Sadly that's the only anime I've seen there but since my local BLs sucks that's not surprising.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I rebought disc one and it plays so now I get to watch it. Yippie! Now if disc two skips I'm gonna cry. Brings my Flag total to 15 dollars.
Lonestar9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love the BL, they are hit and miss on what they stock, but the price can't be beaten..
To answer the question though, I've never felt guilty about buying any sort of bargain, anime or not!! Smile
OtepGirl90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
Reviving a dead thread... Does Big Lots still sell anime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3