• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saki Website Launches Mahjong Mini-Game Online

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamer_Girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was something like this in English, I've always wanted to learn how to play Mahjong.
vargsvans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gamer_Girl wrote:
I wish there was something like this in English, I've always wanted to learn how to play Mahjong.

I made an account to give you this: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

It's not the perfect teaching tool, but I learned the basics using it. Mahjong anime becomes more fun if you have the slightest idea of what's going on Smile
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
i just wish i know how to play Mahjong
Seljuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Fret no more.

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
This one is a browser-based flash game of mahjong, very easy to get into. The bottom of the page also has a quick explanation, as well as the different hands you are aiming for.

http://arcturus.su/tenhou/
A lot of this page is how to use the japanese site Tenhou to play mahjong versus other people online. However, there are some VERY good resources at the bottom of the page. Especially check out the "So you want to play Mahjong" Riichi Tutorial. It's in .doc form, and has details for the whole setup of mahjong, as well as pictures to help you out.

Best of luck, these are the best resources I know of. It's a pretty fun game. Smile
Korb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

This is a pretty good place to start learning. Don't let the .jp in the URL fool you either, it's entirely in English.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I tried playing Mahjong with that English flash game, but it seemed that every time I was able to get "Ron" or "Tsumo", a box came up that said 'no multiplier'. Does that mean that my hand wasn't worth any points at all?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I tried playing Mahjong with that English flash game, but it seemed that every time I was able to get "Ron" or "Tsumo", a box came up that said 'no multiplier'. Does that mean that my hand wasn't worth any points at all?

It means you need at least one "yaku" before you can declare a win in riichi mahjong.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thank you everyone who posted links to awesome Mahjong related stuff. I started watching Akagi last week and had the sudden urge to learn Mahjong so I guess this is where most of my time will be going in the next few months.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

It means you need at least one "yaku" before you can declare a win in riichi mahjong.

There's also a list of yaku on Wikipedia, though it can vary based on rulesets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
vargsvans wrote:
I made an account to give you this: http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Hmm, it neglects to explain Kan (Kong) and then goes on to reference it several times... ah well, for the most part it is a good guide.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Yeah, you had chicken. Most rule sets require your hand to have at least one redeeming quality. 1 point (simplified), 1 double (Traditional & HK), or 1 yaku (Japanese) minimum, or a special hand (all systems). The new Guobiao tournament rules require the player to have 8 points, which can be achieved pretty easily as well.

Unless I have a killer hand, my preferred way to reach a decent score is to focus on all pung/kong (toitoi in Japanese). Many higher scoring hands can be achieved by starting with this strategy and then changing the hand. It's also easier to win this way because you can draw anyone's discards, whereas with chow (sequence) you can only draw from the person preceding you.

Easy win, 3fan:

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Okay, time for me to go Akagi Shigeru on those girls' asses! Twisted Evil

BTW, here is another online game for Mahjong enthusiasts.

Mahong Time
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

MJTime is IMHO, the best online community for MJ. But you should know the game before trying to play there.

-t
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I found that out the hard way. Very Happy

P.S. I play on the site every now and then. I still go by the same user name as I do here on ANN. Let's have a game sometime. Smile
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm used to playing with gamedesign.jp, and it's really amazing how much easier this official Saki one is. Kind of encouraging for a newbie like me, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2