• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-08-14]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
I actually think Matt Thorn has a better explanation for all the blond-haired blue eyed characters at http://www.matt-thorn.com/mangagaku/faceoftheother.html . Anime characters with blond hair and blue eyes are no less Caucasian than those with purple hair and red eyes; they're all just "strangely colored Japanese people." But Mr. Thorn explains it better than I do.
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
I'm going to see Ponyo...but I'll also see G.I. Joe. Again.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Brian, but I'll pass on Ponyo.

I'm looking forward to reading next week's Answerfans section. Anime fans are quick to call something overrated, and I am guilty of this myself, so it would be interesting to see how other people define the term.

By the way, I've read that article before, minakichan, and I found it very insightful. Anyone struggling with the question of ethnics in anime should read it. Seriously.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Some of the best deals I've ever gotten on ANYTHING, I got from Japanese used book/electronic stores while I was an exchange student over there. Aside from the dozens of CDs (albums and singles) I got for 100~700 yen, I managed to get a DS in a Japan-only color for about 3000 yen, and the special edition of the AIR movie (which retailed at 10,000 yen!) for about 2500.

Oh, and I work at a 14-screen movie theater, and I found out today that we are in fact getting Ponyo! Color me pleased and surprised.

Last edited by Akukaze on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think it has less to do with the location than it does with just the nature of inside jokes man. Not quite over analyzing there, but the whole point of having inside jokes is that there are people on the outside. Being on the 'inside' has to do with community identification, people tend to not like outsiders. It's kind of a way of self-regulating people and content, if you will. If people feel slighted for that, well, so be it.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
I agree with you about the Cons.

I'm from Colorado and one of the local cons, NDK, just seems to get bigger and better each year. Heck, last year we had Noriko Hidaka and Yuji Mistuya on the guest list. So yeah, location isn't what hurts a con the most; it's how the people behind the scenes manage it.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Ponyo! I will definitely be going to see it in the theater, along with as many friends as I can drag with me :D

I agree with minakichan too—Matt Thorn's write-up about the "race/ethnicity" depictions in anime and manga is an excellent read. Everyone should check it out!

The answerfans' answers this week were so entertaining!! I guess the joys of getting a good deal bring out the creative descriptions. Thanks for sharing, y'all!
giascle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
I knew it. I just knew it.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
I am heartbroken that my awesome story about finding free anime while working didn't make it. I think it's because I forgot to put my name; where do we put our names anyway? Do we put it at the end of the e-mail or do we put it in the subject line, I never know.

Quote:
So, basically, you're offended by all the honky-ass crackers in your anime.

Brain, I officially find you absolutely hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Overrated (1): Something everyone likes but which I think is crap.
Overrated (2): Something I used to like before it got popular but now everybody likes it and I can't feel elitist about it any more.

Underrated: Something I like but everyone else thinks is crap.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Back at the London MCM Expo in 2007, with my rucksack's seams already straining from the weight of a mass of geeky goodies I added a cherry on top in the form of the miniseries Zaion: I Wish You Were Here, which I picked up from the ADV Films vendor stall for the princely sum of one pound sterling.

The ADV stall do a raffle, do they not? Had this chap won something there, his profit margin could have been somewhat higher than 1400% had he gone on to sell such an item. Zaion has caught my eye in the past, as I tend to enjoy sci-fi romances above other genres and settings. Most written opinions urge me to overlook such a title however, to such an extent that I don't think it'd be likely for me to disagree with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:33 am Reply with quote
I can't even begin to describe how lividly jealous I am of this person who was able to get their hands not only on all of Sailor Moon, but also has random volumes of the rare and overpriced Cardcaptor Sakura falling into her lap from heaven. Oh, the bitterness!!
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
I agree with Dop.L’s first definition of the word overrated. I would change it a bit, though.

Overrated (1): Something many people like but which I think is crap or average.

I slightly agree with the second definition.

Overrated (2): Something I used to like, but many people still consider it to be a great series because of a reputation of (a) creator(s)/ because of a reputation that a first season has got etc.
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
I'm going to see Ponyo today, even if I've already seen it in Japanese! Very Happy I am not a Disney Channel fan, and I'm wondering how many screaming girls (My friend actually squealed through Prince Caspian whenever a boy appeared) will be there, clamoring to hear the JoBro's brother's voice, which they can't hear because they're yelling. Rolling Eyes
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Answerman! wrote:
Everything gets really muddled together, and in the end you can wind up with some amazingly weird moments of accidental racism.

That. Is. Epic.

I've always felt one of the appeals of anime was it's non-nationalized design of characters. With all the blue, silver, green hair; similar colored eyes with splashs of red. I never felt that just cause a guy or girl had blonde hair, that he/she was automatically caucasian unless they or the creators said they were.

Fullmetal Panic (plug) is a good example. The designs cover alot of gammits while some character designs fit their ethnicity, its not the rule to where they are from. Really its all about what looks good or what colors or design help to either set or offset a character's personality or presence. Warm, cool colors; big eyes, small eyes; curly, straight, or a little messy or wild hair; all can effect how a character comes off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4