• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy, King of Thorn, Ballad Trailers Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeqasa Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
Being a HUGE fan of the King of thorn manga; I was very enthused when I heard information about a full length feature film. Now that the trailer has been posted; the preview did not disappoint. I am all kinds of excited to see the animated film adaptation. Anime smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
That King of Thorn trailer looked amazing. I'll have to see this film; recently, I read Iwahara's Cat Paradise and he mentioned it a few times. I was eventually going to check it out, but I'm glad I read this by chance and will be able to see the movie when it's first released.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
Well, with two months to Astro Boy's release I find myself chanting the oft-repeated prayer to the Movie Gods: please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck....

(On a brighter note, they thankfully kept Ass-tro's machine gun butt Anime smile)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, the King of Thorn trailer looks sharp. Looks like it keeps the character design style consistent while greatly improving the rendering and clarity of detail (which was a problem in the artistry of the original manga).

And a "worldwide release," too? I am mightily looking forward to this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Electrastar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
I am soooo happy the King of Thorns manga is getting a movie adaptation. The story is perfect for a movie and I can't wait to see it.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
I didn't get too far into the King of Thorn manga, but I want to start reading it again soon. The trailer looks amazing and I cannot wait for 2010.

For some reason, it seems that everything good is happening in 2010 for me.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Isn't it amazing the black guy can speak Japanese so fluently?
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
oh yeah, cause black people don't live in japan.

Anyways, I saw the trailer and it looks pretty good. Bit of modernizing in terms of story and character but looks faithful. Of course I've never seen any of the old series so I can't say for sure.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
Well, with two months to Astro Boy's release I find myself chanting the oft-repeated prayer to the Movie Gods: please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck....

(On a brighter note, they thankfully kept Ass-tro's machine gun butt Anime smile)

I agree. Hopefully this movie will at least be decent. Honestly though, what they really should have done was adapted the Pluto manga and made a movie out of it. I'd be drooling all over that. Wink
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow @ King of Thorn. Count me as another one who hasn't finished this series, I've only gotten half-way through it. I need to go track down the other three volumes of this. But only having read as much as I have, that trailer still gave me chills. Finally, an anime movie I'm actually looking forward to. That's never actually happened before. Smile
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read The King of Thorn yet, but the movie still looks pretty cool. Am I the only one who thinks its very similar to Blue Gender?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Holy hell! That King of Thorn trailer looks amazing. I was excited to hear about it being announced, but now I really want to see it. Anime exclamation

I have all 6 volumes of the manga but I've only glanced at the first one thus far. I think I'll hold off on reading it until I see the movie so I don't spoil myself.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I haven't read The King of Thorn yet, but the movie still looks pretty cool. Am I the only one who thinks its very similar to Blue Gender?

I can see how you see that. They way it starts off is very similiar and the premise too. But it definitely goes its own way after the first few chapters. I only have the first 2 volumes but I enjoyed them. Not made crazy in love with them, but i wasn't dissappointed that I owned them.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
taster of pork wrote:

I can see how you see that. They way it starts off is very similiar and the premise too. But it definitely goes its own way after the first few chapters. I only have the first 2 volumes but I enjoyed them. Not made crazy in love with them, but i wasn't dissappointed that I owned them.

Yeah, it's easy to make that assumption, but it's not full of fail or main character emo-ness like Blue Gender was. Nor is it military vs. bugs from the moon, or whatever BS plot Blue Gender had. That series was just horrible. King of Thorn is actually good. I showed the trailer to my mom, and even she was intrigued by it, and she's 50+.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Wow, the King of Thorn trailer looks sharp. Looks like it keeps the character design style consistent while greatly improving the rendering and clarity of detail (which was a problem in the artistry of the original manga).

And a "worldwide release," too? I am mightily looking forward to this one.

Very much agreed. Definitely looking to see this in a digital theater, or they can just skip to the BD... as long as it is available dubbed in English, I'm easy like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1