• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki & Ghibli's Ponyo Film Opens at Midnight

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to admit that this man's films remain a hot property. Personal opinions aside, I'll expect quite a few people to be showing their support come midnight. I take it the younger end of the show's target audience will probably wait until further screenings at more appropriate hours to come and see this though. As popular as Ghibli are, I'd be surprised if Ponyo's release will be a Harry Potter scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly not what I would consider a movie that could contain an adults attention, though there does exist the possibility that the dubbed script could clean up a lot of the literal dialogue that seemed to stagnate the film somewhat; I'm mostly thinking about the clumsy exposition, mind you. Why they would do a midnight screening, aside from banking on the Miyazaki name brand and broad generational following that he has, is a little odd to me considering who this movie is really made for.
roesnail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
im actually thinking about going at midnight just so i dont have to deal with little kids/ teenagers talking and runing around the theater and answering phone calls during the movie. because every movie i seen i theaters this year including eva, it happend.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I highly recommend this film. I watched it last year in Tokyo and I enjoyed it. The Japanese was easy to understand. The Region 2 DVD will be released this summer. I will buy a copy before I head back to the US.

I almost forgot the Ponyo song and it will be in my head again. AHHH!!

This is a very enjoyable film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna ask my mom if I can go see this at the theater in my area. I haven't been to the movies for 5 years! Not since they showed the Yu-Gi-Oh movie.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I'll catch this tomorrow night after I see District 9. That should be an interesting double-header. It's so rare that I get to see any anime on a big screen...I'm totally psyched for this.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Damn! No midnight screenings in the Seattle area...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if they're doing it in Ottawa, but it's moot since I work tomorrow and there are also no night buses where I live.

Even though I've seen it before, I'll still try and see it this weekend, because I'm sure it looks better on the big screen with a transfer that isn't occasionally blocked by Chinese audience members leaving their seats.

EDIT: Also, at least it's playing in downtown Ottawa this time, so I don't have to make a long trek westwards to Kanata to see it in the AMC 24, like I did with Howl's Moving Castle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I work all week in the afternoon during the run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1