• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Weekend Atlanta to Host Yasuhiro Imagawa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
Maaaaaaaaaaaan... I wish he was coming to our Con... Sad It'd be something to be able to thank him personally for making so many awesome things, not the least of which being Shin Mazinger since it has me on the edge of my seat right now... Oh, well... Sad
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
Well, if anything. This could be that they're promoting Shin Mazinger Z. They of course were counting on anime fans in the US had somehow seen the anime, otherwise they wouldn't bother featuring both the director and the animator of a brand new series.

But personally, I would rather wait until Shin Mazinger Z has had an official US release, or even a Japanese DVD release. Otherwise for those who would be there this early to congratulate the success of Shin Mazinger Z, can only mean that they couldn't have seen the anime through normal means.

Now how would that make Captain Imagawa himself feel is a different story. One that I would rather not taking a part in.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:01 am Reply with quote
Aw, I wish I could meet Imagawa. He's one of my favorite anime directors.

Somebody please ask this man to do the rest of the chapters of Giant Robo. I would weep tears of joy if he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'm extremely sad that I can't go. hoping people film his interview! I actually did a post about why to go see him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Aw, I wish I could meet Imagawa. He's one of my favorite anime directors.

Somebody please ask this man to do the rest of the chapters of Giant Robo. I would weep tears of joy if he did.

It's interesting to point out that Imagawa often does a lot of the writing duties too, not just directing, for his own projects. The man certainly is versatile.

If by that you mean in anime form, I suppose he would need someone willing to fund it.

Apparently Giant Robo didn't do that well commercially and all the production delays weren't exactly a good thing either. He also seems to be fairly content with the way that concluded though, at least going by what he's said in interviews before.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
The man did have me up till all hours sobbing over Tetsujin 28 just last night. It'd be pretty nice to get to say something about that.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Apparently Giant Robo didn't do that well commercially and all the production delays weren't exactly a good thing either. He also seems to be fairly content with the way that concluded though, at least going by what he's said in interviews before.
Artistically speaking, the Giant Robo OVA was a big success all and all. And I believe that's what Captain Imagawa wanted to achieve with such project. However, there's really nothing a talented writer like Imagawa can do, when the industry only rely on sensual pleasing elements to draw in most of their audiences today.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Well, if anything. This could be that they're promoting Shin Mazinger Z.

Actually there are a lot of fans of Giant Robo at AWA. That alone would have been enough of a reason.

Quote:

But personally, I would rather wait until Shin Mazinger Z has had an official US release, or even a Japanese DVD release. Otherwise for those who would be there this early to congratulate the success of Shin Mazinger Z, can only mean that they couldn't have seen the anime through normal means.

The show is already coming out on DVD in Japan. It's perfectly legal to import those DVDs. Don't jump to conclusions about how people may have seen something.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
Well, if anything. This could be that they're promoting Shin Mazinger Z.

Actually there are a lot of fans of Giant Robo at AWA. That alone would have been enough of a reason.

Quote:

The show is already coming out on DVD in Japan. It's perfectly legal to import those DVDs. Don't jump to conclusions about how people may have seen something.
The Japanese DVD of Shin Mazinger Z vol.1 will be available in Japan on 08/25/09, with a new volume releasing per month in a total of 9 releases. However since that will only means 1 very expensive Japanese import DVD release of only 2 episodes available to the US anime audiences, the actual fans' reaction to the show won't be as strong as say, those who saw the whole thing via fansubs. And you know that they're out there, even when I've already stopped watching anime via the internet.

As for the Giant Robo fans being the only reason to see Captain Imagawa at AWA, that's only a bias opinion which hardly warrens an argument to based on something that isn't factual.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

As for the Giant Robo fans being the only reason to see Captain Imagawa at AWA, that's only a bias opinion which hardly warrens an argument to based on something that isn't factual.

Facts I have. I am one of the two vice con chairs at AWA so I have a quite a bit of insider knowledge about why we want to do any particular thing, or have any particular guest.

In this case, many of the people staffing and running the con are fans of Giant Robo and felt that alone was more than enough reason to host Mr. Imagawa. It sounds incredibly simple and obvious to me, but we like to celebrate people who have done things we like. AWA is sort of known for this.

The fact that Mr. Imagawa has a new show out that people may have seen is great and awesome but far from the only reason we wanted to have him visit our con. All of our internal chats about this have begun with Giant Robo first. Well, actually they usually they begin with someone imitating the GR grunt noise. Fun stuff.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Funny how my review of Giant Robo was finally put up today, though I am puzzled as to what took ANN so long to finally write an article about this week-old news.

Anyway, I really wish I could attend AWA. Wonder if this means that Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z-Hen on television has been licensed?

penguintruth wrote:

Asking him would most likely be futile. He said several years ago that he doesn't plan on making more (fourth paragraph from the bottom).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It is being done, in a manner of speaking.

Not completely the same thing, but the closest that there will ever be.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
Facts I have. I am one of the two vice con chairs at AWA so I have a quite a bit of insider knowledge about why we want to do any particular thing, or have any particular guest.

In this case, many of the people staffing and running the con are fans of Giant Robo and felt that alone was more than enough reason to host Mr. Imagawa. It sounds incredibly simple and obvious to me, but we like to celebrate people who have done things we like. AWA is sort of known for this.

The fact that Mr. Imagawa has a new show out that people may have seen is great and awesome but far from the only reason we wanted to have him visit our con. All of our internal chats about this have begun with Giant Robo first. Well, actually they usually they begin with someone imitating the GR grunt noise. Fun stuff.
That's just it though. I too am a fan of Captain Imagawa's Giant Robo, and I got the DVD release separately at CAD$37 each. However I can't get anyone interest it in my local, because GR just isn't hip enough from today's commercial and industrial standpoints. That alone wouldn't have warren Captain Imagawa's visiting to AWA, not unless there's an actual interest from the Japanese anime industry's end to partake this venture.

We don't know the detail of AWA's arrangement, so I'm only going by speculations. And I suspect that there could only be 3 ways that this could have happen:
    1. The AWA paid for Imagawa's visit.
    2. The Japanese anime industry sponsored AWA to host Imagawa.
    3. Captain Imagawa himself financed his trip to AWA.
If AWA as a whole had long been fans of Captain Imagawa's GR, then they could have host him as guest of honor a long time ago. Since that wasn't the case, and Captain Imagawa isn't known for spontaneous traveling, then there must be a third party involvement in this setup. That would be the Japanese anime industry, and they want in if only AWA would showcase Shin Mazinger Z by also hosting its mechanical designer Tsuyoshi Nonaka, a rookie in the anime industry since his debut in D.I.C. E. Because if GR was the sole reason for AWA to host Captain Imagawa, then the most logical thing for AWA to do is also play host for its mechanical designer Makoto Kobayashi, who's a veteran in the anime industry for his distinctive steam engine and Sci-Fi design concepts.

In the end, what AWA want for Captain Imagawa to be there didn't matter, as long as the Japanese anime industry is still involved. That's why I didn't want an argument, when there's nothing to argue about.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
Dumb question but wouldn't support for Shin Mazinger, when it could ONLY be seen fansubbed show that there's a market available for them to persue licensing talks for an eventual US release? I certainly want him and his people to know we're watching it and it's not falling on deaf ears. Especially if it brings about a legitimate release. Of course, I doubt we'll ever get it launched here since almost no one here cares about the series to begin with, but we can always dream... -_-

'Course, I'd also like to pass on the word that we wouldn't mind seeing Shin Mazinger Impact: Great Story next season but considering we don't know how the show's going to end yet, that's neither here nor there. ^^;;;;
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Dumb question but wouldn't support for Shin Mazinger, when it could ONLY be seen fansubbed show that there's a market available for them to persue licensing talks for an eventual US release? I certainly want him and his people to know we're watching it and it's not falling on deaf ears. Especially if it brings about a legitimate release. Of course, I doubt we'll ever get it launched here since almost no one here cares about the series to begin with, but we can always dream... -_-

'Course, I'd also like to pass on the word that we wouldn't mind seeing Shin Mazinger Impact: Great Story next season but considering we don't know how the show's going to end yet, that's neither here nor there. ^^;;;;
Whether or not the Shin Maziger saga deserves a sequel is not based on the viewers' words-of-mouth alone. The Japanese anime industry is a business, not an internet chat forum. Groups of overseas audiences don't translate into actual anime DVD sales, for they're not like the Japanese domestic die-hard anime otakus, who'll buy what they saw in anime regardless of what it is. Just so they can be hip and trendy. That's the realism and practicality of Japanese corporate business management; artists appreciations from their fans speak nothing compared to just how the anime series appeals to the audiences in terms of actual sales figures.

Therefore what do you think they'll do with your hopes and dreams? Nothing. Not until they can somehow profit from it, when you've already seen what you've hoped and dreamed to see via fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2