• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barkera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hi all! We've been getting a bunch of "please recommend a series for me" threads in the manga forum recently, so to simplify things a bit, this will now be the go-to thread for manga recommendations. If you're looking for a new series to read, please post your request in this thread. Be sure to be specific and descriptive, and as always, follow the forum's listing rules. This post is a good example of how to write a good request. Thanks a bunch! ~Cloe

I'm looking for something new to read and hoping someone here might be able to recommend me something good! I'm a guy, but I couldn't care less about whether something is categorized as Shonen or Shoujo.

To give you an idea of what I like, my favourite few series are:

~ Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
~ Angel Sanctuary
~ CardCaptor Sakura
~ Hunter X Hunter
~ X/1999

I'm also currently reading Aishiteruze Baby, Mahou Sensei Negmia and Ouran High School Host Club.

I'm not too fussed about the genre, but I 'spose I want something with a bit of a more deep and meaningful story. I'm not interested in some long Shonen epic (just to make that clear). Length doesn't really matter as long as it's good!

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, in case it helps... my favourite anime series are Shakugan no Shana (the manga was terrible), ef-A Tale of Memories (and a Tale of Melodies), Kure-nai and Rurouni Kenshin.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you're interested in a nice range of genres (like me!). Hm...If you are interested in something along the lines of Aishiteruze Baby, then you could try Bunny Drop (Usuagi Drop). It currently hasn't been released in US/Canada yet, but Yen Press has licensed it and the first volume will be released in March. I haven't read Aishiteruze, but people who have have said that they enjoy Bunny Drop and people who like either one of the series have been recommended to read the other. Not to mention several males have said they enjoy it as well. For a shorter read, the 2-volume long Wolf's Rain is nice, and nothing like its anime counterpart. It may be a bit confusing at some times, but the art is great and the story unique (a manga centered around wolves!). VIZ has released these ones, and though my editions are from awhile ago, they contain color pages.

For series not released in US (or set to be released), might I recommend Karneval by Mikanagi Touya? The art is great and the story is definitely interesting with likeable characters. The beginning might feel a bit rushed, but if you pay attention most things make enough sense (and things that don’t are explained a bit later, unless not revealed yet). This next one may be a long stretch, but judging by your icon (I love Okami), are you a fan of stories involving wolves and other canines? I recommended Wolf’s Rain, but you may want to check out Ginga Densetsu Weed by Yoshihiro Takahashi, which is a bit more violent. The first three volumes had been released by ComicsOne as Ginga Legend Weed, but the company went out of business…I don’t see them on Ebay or anything anymore, and I snagged my copies awhile ago, so they are probably pretty difficult to find. Ginga Densetsu Weed is based all around the adventures of a dog, and is the sequel to the manga Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, which is superior in my opinion, but also recommended. Takahashi also released other dog-centered manga, such as Lassie and Fang (whose main character is pictured in my avatar).

Hope I helped, and good luck!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not too fussed about the genre, but I 'spose I want something with a bit of a more deep and meaningful story. I'm not interested in some long Shonen epic (just to make that clear).

Then you're probably looking for 20th Century Boys and/or Pluto

20th Century Boys is long (20+ volumes, of which only 4 are out), Pluto is shorter (8 volumes, of which 4 are out).

Both are very mature (in the good way, not just ultra-violence and curse words) and both by the amazing Naoki Urasawa.

20th Century Boys is a thriller (of sorts) about a world wide conspiracy and the adult friends who discover they hold the answer to stopping it from the mists of their Youth. Its brilliant.

Pluto is a retelling of the classic Astro Boy story, The World's Strongest Robot, but in a way that really reinvents it, turning it into its own beast. Its equal part Asimov and Alan Moore. Its incredible.

Basically these are two of my favorite comics ever. And that isn't just talking Manga.
Newdlez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Hey I'm looking for a new manga or anime that makes you think, has great art, and more on the mature side.

My favorite manga and anime are:
Code Geass
Death Note
FMA
.hack//EVERYTHING lol
FLCL

I'm gonna add my favorite movie and game just in case it might help you:
The Matrix Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts

So anything close to those would be great! Thanks Very Happy
Extalia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
@barkera I'd recommend 07 Ghost. Its deep aand very meaningful. Its got plenty of action and it has moments that just makes you wish that you could be fortunate enough to find a bestfriend that would last for a life time.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
@barkera If you're into Tsubasa, then you should definitely also be reading xxxHOLiC. It's the story of Yuko's teenage assistant, Kimihiro Watanuki (the thin boy with glasses who's alluded to every once in a while), and the events happening at Yuko's shop while the Tsubasa gang are on their journey. In spite of the assurances on the back covers of early volumes that it isn't strictly necessary to read both, the series eventually cross over extremely heavily, so if you don't want to be a bit lost I'd advise catching up and then reading the appropriate volumes of Holic in between Tsubasa.
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This isn't to any specific person, but I would highly recommend the manga Blue Heaven to anyone. It is a brilliant manga by Tsutomu Takahashi, the creator of Ice Blade, which was published by Tokyopop back in the day. He had a much different style when he made Ice Blade though. Smile

Anyway, Blue Heaven is pure genius and the only problem for some folks might be that it's only in Japanese. Razz
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
Hey, if anyone could offer me the inspiration I need to broaden my manga collection it would make a bookstore somewhere reasonably happy. Wink

So far my manga collection includes:

Genshiken
Planetes
Mushishi
Kaze no Tani no Naushika

As far as anime goes I also quite like:

The Third
Haibane Renmei
Spice and Wolf

As well as Ghibli and most Satoshi Kon stuff (Tokyo Godfathers, Millenium Actress...)

I've had a look through ANNs top manga lists but I'm a bit stumped at the time being. So, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them. Smile
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
I think you'll like 2001 Nights. It's a collection of loosely connected short stories about humandkind and space exploration. I'd say it's a bit like a mix of Mushishi and Planetes, if I had to compare it to some of the manga you already own.

Other recommendations:
The Embalmer
Ikigami
Phoenix
aaronsnell89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hello all! I'm new here and I'm looking for some new manga to start on. I'm currently reading Fantasista and Hunter X Hunter. I'm interested in Action/Adventure, shounen, Sports, and supernatural genres. Thanks in advance!
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Kekkaishi might be a good fit for you, it has the action, shonen, and supernatural down at least. Shonen Sunday in general might be a good magazine to look into, they publish most of the Rumiko Takahashi stuff (at least the supernatural shonen ones it would seem), so some of her series might not be a bad idea (meaning Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha, and perhaps her new one Rin-ne)

And since you're reading Hunter X Hunter, have you read his other series, Yu Yu Hakusho?

Unfortunately, I am not the person to ask about sports titles because no one has made a manga about juggling yet as far as I know.
aaronsnell89

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks I'll have to check into those, I've watched Yu Yu Hakusho, but never finished it. I've also seen a lot of Inuyasha, but again, never finished it.
duofangirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking to buy my nephew (he's in elementary school) some manga, but I'm not sure what to get for him. Any have any suggestions on suitable manga? He's really into Star Wars (comics, video games, and the Clone Wars series), so anything that's not more violent than that should be fine. Thanks!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Chikyu Misaki is a really fun and charming adventure story, kind of like the Iron Giant and similar films. It's only three volumes. There is some partial nudity, but he won't see more than he will see on any random beach.

Yotsuba&! is suitable for just about the anyone. It's probably one of the safest buys.

Hikaru no Go is also suitable for elementary school students, but he may not be interested in the subject.

Is he into sports? Eyeshield 21 might me a good choice even if he isn't. It's really funny. There's some violence for comedy purposes, but it's all really minor compared to other SJ manga.

Other shounen series he might like: Kekkaishi, Muhyo & Roji, One Piece
duofangirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions! I talked to my brother about it some more, and he says that violence and nudity aren't concerns for them, he and his wife are just worried about the vocabulary being too advanced for him. If he doesn't understand what he's reading, then he just looks at the pictures. I'm going to do my Christmas shopping this weekend, so any other suggestions people might have are more than welcome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33