• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hayate the Combat Butler Sub.DVD Part 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a bonus, they include both the original Japanese television and Japanese DVD audio tracks, the only difference between which is the bleeping of anime names from the television track. Which somehow makes it funnier than the un-bleeped DVD track.

I always thought the whole "bleeping trade-names" thing that shows up in anime sometimes was almost entirely a joke, like "we're bleeping it, but it's not as if you can't tell what he said".
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Granted I feel "Hayate" is well-drawn, but it's not the all-out best-looking anime out there. However some of the best cartoon comedies never had the best visuals.

And yeah, I'm kinda disappointed with no English dub (even not having the Animax one), but no one can compete with Wakamoto's narration. He's one of the best "voices-in-the-sky" anime has ever had.

Even though I must respect Kimlinger's opinion, I have to say Hayate is my all-time favorite anime; and the best comedy in the longest time.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a disc crowded with seven episodes

Ok.. so.. I'm sorry but I can't seem to locate this information myself.. Embarassed Are they only 7 episodes on this release or are there 13 on two discs?

And while 7 eps on one disc does seem like a bit much when we're used to 3-5 eps on one.. it does seem like a 7/6 ratio is becoming available on sets of 13. I mean, Funimation's One Piece is that way WITH a dub. There's another series right on the tip of my tongue, but I'm away from home, so I can't glance over to see/remember..
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
This one is 7 eps on one disk.

I dearly wish this had included some kind of on-disk or liner notes to explain all of the anime and pop culture references (and not all of them were purely Japanese, either); the old ADV Notes feature would've been ideal. Sadly, that kind of feature seems to be a loss to budget cuts these days. Save for I think one instance where the subs explained what one particular word meant, there are no notes; you'll just have to refer to the Trivia section of our Encyclopedia entry. There were multiple NGE, Detective Conan, Dog of Flanders, Inuyasha, and Gundam references in the dialogue, episode titles, and artistry, amongst many others.

And unless I'm mistaken, the eyecatches are doing the running word game where the first syllable of one word or phrase has to match the last syllable of the previous word/phrase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this finally released on R1 DVD. Despite Carl's C+C+C+C = B, and the inevitable "harem=bad", which needed two mentions, (even though it isn't a harem show--thank god there were no magical girls in it), Hayate is one of the best anime comedies of recent years. Probably why it's in its second season after an initial 52-episode run. Overall a fair review, but if you enjoy this genre, add at least one grade to the scores.

If you are a fan of Rie Kugumiya tsundere, Nagi is of course a member of the classic Shana-Louise-Nagi triumvirate. It's hard for me to pick a favorite from the three, but I put Nagi in 2nd place. Even if I were a big dub fan, I wouldn't complain because Kugumiya's Nagi will forever be the only Nagi. Plus I second that for Norio Wakamoto's narration.

For reference notes type "hayate no gotoku references" into Google, or just go to http://whoopdedo.org/moe/anime:hayate_no_gotoku for a minute-by-minute list, often numbering 20 per episode. I doubt even ADV could have done it justice in their heyday. Fortunately, I found the show quite enjoyable without them (though the fansubs did cover less-obscure references), and the sheer number of them is just overwhelming. Actually, there are a fair amount of Western entertainment references as well, so that helps. My favorite reference is the "Utena" episode, though... Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
And yeah, I'm kinda disappointed with no English dub (even not having the Animax one), but no one can compete with Wakamoto's narration. He's one of the best "voices-in-the-sky" anime has ever had.

The Animax dub's narrator used a British accent. Lots of characters had British accents for no apparent reason. Maria, Saki, most of the yakuza. Candice Moore as Maria was a treat since she sounds so much better when she's not hiding her normal accent. I'm guessing the voice director thought it would be fun to let the Brit actors speak normally, instead of trying to sound American.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
I own the DVD and I have to say Hayate no Gotoku! is my all time fav anime when it comes to something I could watch randomly and laugh.

But I do agree with the backgrounds and character's designs, Season's 2 work is a heck of a lot better then the first season but we all know thats not going to be picked up if Bandai keeps going sub only.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
omnistry wrote:

The Animax dub's narrator used a British accent. Lots of characters had British accents for no apparent reason. Maria, Saki, most of the yakuza. Candice Moore as Maria was a treat since she sounds so much better when she's not hiding her normal accent. I'm guessing the voice director thought it would be fun to let the Brit actors speak normally, instead of trying to sound American.

I find that kinda funny 'cause I consider "Hayate" to be Japan's successful attempt of making an animated British sitcom.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Just for clarification, is Bandai releasing this like "Gurren Lagaan" where they do a sub-only release and then a dub/sub release, or are they sticking with sub-only?
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Just for clarification, is Bandai releasing this like "Gurren Lagaan" where they do a sub-only release and then a dub/sub release, or are they sticking with sub-only?

It's going to be a sub-only release. Bandai had planned to dub it but that was cancelled.

Gurren Lagaan was a special case that will probably never be repeated.
giascle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I've heard great things about this, but never saw it. The poor-animation-used-for-comedic effect sold me, though; I make cartoons, and they're all like that.
Proman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
"With no English dub and a disc crowded with seven episodes, it's obvious that they're expecting limited sales. As a bonus, they include both the original Japanese television and Japanese DVD audio tracks, the only difference between which is the bleeping of anime names from the television track."

That kind of suprised me. The episode's I've seen so far made me think that this series has the potential to be very popular, if for no other reason than because it is genuinly funny. I also thing that the rating that was given to it was too low.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
Who he promptly tries to kidnap (after you punch Santa, nothing seems immoral).

Too true...

This series definitely had me laughing from beginning to end-of-the-DVD. I'm definitely adding it to my collection...
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
DRWii wrote:

It's going to be a sub-only release. Bandai had planned to dub it but that was cancelled.

Gurren Lagaan was a special case that will probably never be repeated.

Why the hell would they cancel the dub? Talk about a big "fudge you!" to us dub fans! Evil or Very Mad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
Well to me this possibly one of the worstt news I have heared today, I am a big fan of this show, and just started to colect the manga. Lately I have been thinking thinking that if their is one anime that kids could watch and I realy enjoy it woud be this, but sub only means that cant share it with my younger brother. And basicly no sub only series make it out to Australia Crying or Very sad .

I was a bit taken aback by the low score as this is one of my favirouts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3