• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bricken the House

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Another great show. Very Happy I think I may have to stop listening to it though. It's making me ashamed of my awful, inaccurate pronunciation of so many anime related names.

I entirely agree about DMC. It's not that it's an awful show. It's just that it epitomizes mediocrity. I'm a little ashamed to admit I bought it. (On DVD at least). Ultimately though, it is certainly a big seller.

You know though, this is where I really get so tired of the R1 companies. A large part of the reason they end up in trouble and on the verge of bankruptcy is their own mindbogglingly dumb mistakes. I wouldn't especially care if it were any other industry but because it's a small niche industry it's going to be a big problem if they go under. So then we all worry and treat them like they're bloody charity cases. And then they carry on about how it's all because of piracy (and I don't doubt that it deserves some of the blame) but so do their own bone headed choices. You never hear about the latter though.

I kind of don't mind Transformers 2 though. The first half of the movie is painfully awful because of the terrible and annoying human characters but once it gets going and focuses a little more about the Transformers it's actually not totally terrible. The Transformers actually seem alive and have some personality. They're not exactly clever but a bit fun. Most importantly the action is pretty cool now that it's more coherent than the first movie.

I'm really proud to say though I was never one of those idiot fans. I enjoyed anime a whole lot and thought it was really great especially when I first got into it but I was never exclusionary towards other mediums.

P.S. I love Dr. McNinja too. Because he's a doctor. But also a ninja. Which is cool.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
BOOOOOO!!! I liked Papuwa Razz

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
What's wrong with Aura Battler Dunbine?

Also, I don't agree that people aren't making a big deal out of the new Fullmetal Alchemist. Maybe they're not making as big a deal as with the first series, but a lot of the hardcore fans of the original manga are excited about a more accurate adaptation of the source material.

There's a lot of great American cartoons? Like what? Other than Venture Bros, Flapjack (sort of), and a few others, there really aren't many American cartoons airing now I can consider "great". It's too bad Dini and Timm aren't doing any animation projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Also, I don't agree that people aren't making a big deal out of the new Fullmetal Alchemist. Maybe they're not making as big a deal as with the first series, but a lot of the hardcore fans of the original manga are excited about a more accurate adaptation of the source material.

Yeah, but for the most part that seems to be it. The first anime had such far reaching popularity vastly beyond the established fans. Brotherhood has certainly done okay but mostly with fans of the manga. It's a decent hit for sure but I definitely wouldn't call it's popularity a "big deal."

Quote:
There's a lot of great American cartoons? Like what? Other than Venture Bros, Flapjack (sort of), and a few others, there really aren't many American cartoons airing now I can consider "great". It's too bad Dini and Timm aren't doing any animation projects.

Well, yeah but there's no anime airing right now that I have any interest in either. There has been at least a decent amount of stuff in the past though.

I'd really recommend some of the other AS stuff. Harvey Birdman and Sea Lab 2021. The Boondocks is really funny. Futurama is really funny but actually quite endearing as well and that's actually still airing (sort of). I'm not sure about the recent episode/movies though.

Actually, I'd recommend all the big comedies to some extent. Probably not as they are now but in the past. The Simpsons may have gone down the toilet in the last season or so but up until that point I maintain that it's one of the most consistently funny shows on TV. I love the first 3 seasons of Family Guy from back before it got terrible. Southpark is pretty hit or miss but the hits are awfully funny. I actually like American Dad a fair bit. Not exactly hilarious but consistently entertaining. Oh and there's King of the Hill which isn't really laugh out loud funny but actually a really fun, quirky series.

If you want to talk about stuff other than comedies though, yeah I too will ask: Like what? Not to say there isn't anything, but if there is, I'm not aware of it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:43 am Reply with quote
Zac: I actually liked Devil May Cry for what it was, but only because I was annoyed by the game and think Onimusha's superior on that front. As for Millennium Actress, Paramount could still have it, if Casshern's any indication. My bet is it'll eventually be license-rescued like GITS 2, though.

Quote:
stay away from the otaku in-joke shows

What about Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? I dropped that one after two volumes of the manga.

Quote:
Heat Guy J

For me, it's those crappy Toei discs and/or the over-priced Bandai
Visual discs.

Quote:
Princess Tutu

That actually could have been more profitable, if it wasn't shuffled in-between the other multiple magical girl shows which were being marketed at the time. Dunbine was probably a bad idea, but I doubt it cost as much as their other licenses.

Justin:
Quote:
Authoring Blu-ray is such a pain in the ass.

I hear that's part of why it and the PS3 are bombing. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
"pushed it out to market way too fast"

That was the only way to kill HD-DVD. Wink

As for reverse-importation issues, wouldn't shipping fees and taxes make an American dvd still cost as much as a Japanese dvd?

Quote:
No one even knows who owns Dreamworrks anymore

Spielberg still owns the company, but Disney is handling future projects, while Paramount is handling projects which were under contract. Geffen jumped ship, while Katzenberg runs DWA separately. I'm just wondering who owns the Lupin movie rights.

Quote:
I'm definitely importing Memories [BD]

You could consider waiting until Sony releases it here..

[quote]I fell asleep 4 or 5 times[quote]

That's how I felt about Sohryuden.

Quote:
No business [with] Ippo

The problem is how they marketed the sucker. It could have been profitable if Geneon handled it the way FUNimation handled Baki. [I.E. Emphasizing the fights and tough guys on the covers, rather than just the poses.] Will agree with you on Human Crossing, but the sibling incest drama anime was probably the stupidest one they picked up.

Rob:
Quote:
shonen shows

Gin Tama's about it for me.

And yeah, the Streamline Akira dub's a favorite for me, too. Probably because the Geneon dub is so limp, even if it's more accurate.

Quote:
ADV and Papuwa

I don't consider the company a failure, but if I did feel there was one title which was a dumb license from the company, it'd be Sgt. Frog. Papuwa was at least short and probably cheap. But Sgt. Frog is effing long, and clearly got snagged at the wrong time. I don't think there's even much of a fanbase for the manga. Yeah, there are a lot of volumes of it out there, but the same can be said for Initial D.

That, or Utawarerumono. Long and non-catchy title, generic character designs and story, and no name recognition, other than to hardcore AOD'ers.

As for Bandai, I think the company's screw-up was that realistic outer space show.

As far I was concerned, though, CPM blew it on Kakurenbo.

And Media Blasters probably blew it on Gaogaigar.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Something you have to remember about Geneon Japan was the fact that a lot of Japanese companies try to balance between making money in America while actively sabatoging the releases to make sure the Japanese don't reverse import. A recent example is the fact that we will never get the OAD that come with limited edition anime simply because the Japanese fear that people will buy it from America instead.

Bandai was forced to release Gundam dub only simply because Bandai and Sunrise didn't want anyone from Japan to buy the American release because for some reason they didn't release the original on DVD until years after MSG was sold in America.

As for anime sales, I think it's hard to tell which will sell well and which will be huge in fansubs only. I mentioned Code Geass vs. Ouran High School Host Club in another thread, and Code Geass is Sunrise first large selling series since Inu-Yasha. How many people bought the Gundam Seed series and the Mai Franchise?

As for Disgaea, that show was just ugh, whose bright idea was it to ruin all the characters by giving them different personalities, removing the battles, and just turning it into some shitty comedy show. I mean compare Captain Gordon from the game with that moron from the anime.
Scamp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
I'm quite enjoying my weekly dose of old guys complaining that anime isn't as good as it was back in the day. Ah well, you guys can complain that anime is going downhill for as long as you like. I'll happily keep watching Eden of the East, Baccano, Kaiba and the like for now.

I live in constant fear of this 'anime burnout' that I keep hearing about. I've only been watching anime for 2 years and I'm waiting for that day to come when I finally get sick of the stuff. No sign of that day coming any time soon though. I kinda wish it would though, I would like to spend my money on other forms of entertainment. Such as food.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
I have my own tips on preventing burnout and/or boredom.

Rip the Japanese dub from an English movie and listen to that on endless repeat. CDJapan is a treasure trove of such fun timez. Very Happy

Work, like anything else, is best tackled when you are in the right mood for it. Yes, The Sims had it right! Endorphins increase productivity. The only side effect I’ve noticed is that you might be distracted by happy thoughts unrelated to the task at hand, but it’s still much more productive than slogging through something when you don’t want to. If you try to sleep if your biological clock’s out of whack, you’ll just make things worse.

I know not everyone can set their own deadlines, but it can't hurt to ask your boss.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Personally, the burnout comes and goes. The intense passion and/or interest slowly but gradually declines. I'm still very interested in anime/manga, but for some time now I've mostly just been reading [/i]about them. I have mental lists of series I'd like to see and read, but I take my sweet time. I have dvd's I bought years ago which I haven't watched yet. There are plenty of reasons why it happens. It's sad but true.

P.S. I love you Rob!!!!!
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
How many people bought the Gundam Seed series[?]

/sheepishly raises hand

I will unabashedly admit how much I love Code Geass, tho'. Both seasons at that!
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
The first 5 minutes of this podcast is exemplary of why anime is struggling to profit.

Devil May Cry anime came and went (and few cared), yet they still decided to make a bluray reprint of that? Why?

There are good and great series that deserve to be on bluray WAY before Devil may Cry.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Zac finally made me laugh. Amazing potshot at AoD Very Happy
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
(checks his Cowboy Bebop movie DVD) OMG, that is Rob! Honestly, I thought it was both a hilarious and yet cool quote.

Wait, Justin pronounced "Naruto" correctly, so why was he corrected? Or was that meant to be a joke?

I agree about pacing yourself and watching non-anime movies is a great idea, but American TV is iffy territory for two reasons: A) the very likely fact it will be canceled and you will get zero plot resolution (a big likelihood if it's airing on "cancel them all" FOX, and B) the show outstays its welcome. In the latter category, Heroes had a terrific story planned out.......for one season, then the characters and plot started juggling Idiot Balls while the writers kept recycling the same stories. Smallville should've ended with 7 or 8 seasons (of course, the first few seasons having so much filler didn't help). Simpsons only has the occasionally good episode after the 90's era ended, and Family Guy stopped being good after Season 4. The only ones I still watch on TV are LOST (which has a planned out story/end-date, and hasn't dipped in quality) and the occasional South Park episode. For now, unless the entire series is completed and out on DVD (planning on buying BSG Season 1 and starting that one soon), I ignore new American shows. I've been burned enough times by lack of resolution or "jumping the shark" to take chances anymore. And Western animation is pretty much in the pits (with Avatar, Samurai Jack, JLU, Teen Titans, and Transformers Animated done, there's nothing left).

Gasero: um, I think Devil May Cry's anime DID sell well, I even remember it being in one of the top 10 charts for each quarter. That's exactly what they said in the podcast, despite the shows being generally awful, they get Blu-Ray releases because they appeal to people outside the anime fandom.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
I don't particularily care for ADV, but I'll give them this, atleast when they fail to get a TV deal, they don't toss retail poison on the market. They had done that right with Sgt. Frog, and Mermaid Melody.

Charred Knight wrote:
How many people bought the Gundam Seed series [sic]?

I did (as well as Seed Destiny...), and I imagine a considerable amount of other people did too. Atleast in Canada, the show was one of the more popular anime shows on TV at the time, and was repeated years after because it brought in the ratings. Gundam Seed had TV deals on major channels, that other show you mentioned, didn't.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Totally laughed at the potshot at AoD forum users. There's a reason I only visit there occasionally (usually just to check the Deals of the Day).

Agree with some of the licensing gaffes, although I am so glad they did license Fighting Spirit/Hajime no Ippo and Princess Tutu. Those two are among my favorite series.

Also loved the chicken and waffles exchange, since I'm the one who asked it. Dinah's sounds much better than Roscoe's, so I will have to venture out there someday to satisfy my curiosity since Rob's experience was much better than Justin's. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3