• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's what you get when you let Gurren Lagann AND Keroro Gunsou slip though your fingers.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Wait...I don't get it...Does this mean that all of ADV titles will now be out of print? Are the new licenses under Sentai Filmworks (plus the company itself) now closed/cancelled?

NO!!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, this has been fun.

Zac, you might wanna step in on this thing now.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Funimation is just too hot to handle now. It's pretty much the whole anime market besides Bandai.

now lets not forget about viz Very Happy

peace out adv. yall used to be good Crying or Very sad
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
What is with all the surprise. If you didn't see this coming you may want to see the eye doctor Rolling Eyes
Ironically I saw this coming and have terrible eyesight, requiring glasses or contacts to see.

prime_pm wrote:
And soon after, you replace it with another. Only that one is a little too shy, so you get another one as a companion, and now you're stuck in your parent's house because your the only one around to take care of both damn things while everyone else is busy with the rest of their lives. Sure, you don't have anything better to do, but what if you wanted something to do? Huh? What if you wanted to just go out drinking for awhile instead of coming home at a reasonable time to help pick up their crap from the side of the Goddamn sidewalk every night? Huh? And, no, you don't want to hear another Goddamn word about those [expletive] model trains! YOU GET IT! THEY'RE TRAINS! THEY GO AROUND THE TRACK! WHO CARES?! YOU DON'T CARE!
Creative writing or posting from experience? Let out the pent up emotions friend, vent and be freed from the stew pot of annoyances. Wink

Does anyone else think this is just a prelude to selling off the company assets, such as they are? Even if they are just sold between John Ledford owned companies, I think we'll see some parts sold off in 2-3 years tops.

While the current move doesn't mean much for what gets put out (though I'm sure they are using it as a chance to get rid of anything they don't think is worth keeping) I do not think it means good things for the future.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
kh_gal wrote:
Wait...I don't get it...Does this mean that all of ADV titles will now be out of print? Are the new licenses under Sentai Filmworks (plus the company itself) now closed/cancelled?

NO!!

Oh, so the titles are safe? That makes me a little happy...a little...

Still, this is a very sad day. If it weren't for ADV, I wouldn't have known about Air (which then got me interested in Kanon and Clannad). Not just that, but ADV also released SuperGALS! season one and Kino's Journey, which are two of my favorite series.

I mean, ADV wasn't doing well for a while and many people saw this coming...but it's still sad when it actually happens.
EricDent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks. I kind of predicted this would happen. It was bound to happen, especially when all they did (or so it seemed) for the last couple of years was re-re-re-rerelease DVD thin-packs of their old shows (seriously they made a Christmas version of Chrono Crusade & Evangellion then 3 months later re-released them again as normal versions). I had a feeling that it would happen when they lost the rights to most of their newer shows.

I always liked them, but it is pretty obvious who the kings are now (and they really don't have any competition anymore) FUNimation!
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
So you think VA's who were usually just ADV actors (i.e. jessica boone, kira vincent davis, nancy noventy, sasha paysinger, shelley calene black) will start showing up in FUNi titles more?

My guess (emphasize guess) is that if you haven't seen those actors showing up in Funi titles by this point, you probably won't. There's been nothing preventing them from working for Funi in the past except for personal choice. I don't see how this situation would likely change their decisions.
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Good night sweet prince, you provided me with many an anime and you will sorely be missed...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
joystick1101 wrote:
So you think VA's who were usually just ADV actors (i.e. jessica boone, kira vincent davis, nancy noventy, sasha paysinger, shelley calene black) will start showing up in FUNi titles more?

My guess (emphasize guess) is that if you haven't seen those actors showing up in Funi titles by this point, you probably won't. There's been nothing preventing them from working for Funi in the past except for personal choice. I don't see how this situation would likely change their decisions.

Most of those actors only did VA work as a side gig, and have other jobs as their primary income. (acting or otherwise) So traveling to Dallas/Ft Worth area for VA work is usually out of the question.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
It's less to do with surprise and more to do with...well, imagine a dog you've had for 17 and a half years. You know it's on it's last breath, you know it has trouble just getting up, and you know it has trouble just controlling its bladder.

Then, all of a sudden, it's gone. A part of your memory is just gone. Just like that. People can't help but feel depressed about it. Even if they don't comprehend the details.

And soon after, you replace it with another. Only that one is a little too shy, so you get another one as a companion, and now you're stuck in your parent's house because your the only one around to take care of both damn things while everyone else is busy with the rest of their lives. Sure, you don't have anything better to do, but what if you wanted something to do? Huh? What if you wanted to just go out drinking for awhile instead of coming home at a reasonable time to help pick up their crap from the side of the Goddamn sidewalk every night? Huh? And, no, you don't want to hear another Goddamn word about those [expletive] model trains! YOU GET IT! THEY'RE TRAINS! THEY GO AROUND THE TRACK! WHO CARES?! YOU DON'T CARE!

So, it's kinda like that.

I would look at it like you have a big chocolate chip cookie that got smashed in your backpack and you now have chocolate chip cookie pieces. It's still there and taste sort of like a whole cookie would taste but it's just not the same.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Well it's little sad that they folded, now the one thing it matters who will take the VA"s since it ended. I'm thinking Bang Zoom, Funimation and Viz will take those great talent and I heard rumors Bluewater Studios could be next on the list into closing down as and that would hurt Ocean Studios as well.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Half surprised, half not.

The surprised part of me is simply because I didn't see anything noticeable coming up on the immediate horizon. After all, they were doing good things by beginning to secure other titles that otherwise would have been lost in the loss/reshuffling of the other recent localization companies.

Yet, I'm not surprised because I've heard unsettling things about the Anime Network and Anime On-Demand, Newtype USA went under (did anything ever come of that other magazine they said they were going to publish?), and it seemed like ADV chose a poor battle tactic of over-flooding the market with TOO MANY niche things that only a tiny fragment of people would like, which initially you may think of as a good thing, but if the company can't afford to do it they shouldn't do it. There was just a lot of anime that was not good coming out in the last couple of years, and it was mostly from ADV, and it was ALL getting licensed and ending up collecting dust on shelves. And it doesn't help that too many fans don't appreciate business localization like they used to these days, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This is all the fault of Sojitz and Funimation working in conjunction to shut down ADV. This is a major blow to the anime industry here in the United States.

I have just three worlds to say:

Screw You Funimation.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't to clear to me in the post, so I will ask here. Are the future releases from Sentai Filmworks still on track for there releases this year? I would hate to have Clannad canceled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 17