• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Conflict and Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't go as far as blaming NoA for all that. There plenty of ports and remakes for those to get acquainted with the characters/games, especially FF II. If people don't seek it, they lose out on getting to know the characters.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But I don't know if NIS USA can be trusted anymore with localization. Because they've been seriously sucking. Take some lessons from Atlus. YOU HEAR ME NIS???

I'm about 20 hours into Mana Khemia 2 and it already more than makes up for NISA's half-assed/half-hearted Ar Tonelico 2 release. Just hope I'm not disappointed later in the game.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I think they learned their lesson from AT2, as I heard later releases of their games are from solid to very well done. Above what they did to AT2.

Darn it, Okami looks so cute! Dissidia is well worth the money if you're into unlocking/buying things. So much to do in that game.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Dissidia is well worth the money if you're into unlocking/buying things. So much to do in that game.

Too much to do. It's WEWY all over again.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually looking forward to Raiden IV. Even though Raiden III was apparently really bad, most fans say that Raiden IV reaches the high quality that Raiden I and II had and completely eliminates that bad taste Raiden III gave people.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
There are three developers whom I will currently give my money to without question: Grasshopper Studios (or any Suda51 game), Double Fine (even though Brutal Legend will only be their second game), and Level-5, so this is great news because Level-5 is coming out with a new game. It's a shame that Nobuo Uematsu is doing the music though, I wish it were Koichi Sugiyama (or better yet, Go Shiina, they don't let him compose enough games).

However, I'm still more excited for DQ9 to get released stateside and if these happen to come out around the same time, DQ9 is clearly going to win this round.

Can't believe Okami is getting a sequel, I thought Clover shutting down would've killed all hopes of that. Still, I'm in the minority that played but did not enjoy Okami (PS2 version), so great for everyone who liked it, but I'll be ignoring this one straight off.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that Raiden III was really BAD, but it was kind of dull. And short. Raiden 1 and 2 (and DX to some extent) are just so much more fun to play, dated graphics and all.

Personally, I'm hoping someone would just release Raiden Fighters Aces in Europe, because I really want that one. I'm less enthusiastic about Raiden IV, but I would probably give it a chance if they ever released it.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this Lupin III Gameboy game!

I actually encountered this long before I became an anime fan. Back when "grey importing" was quite the thing, I had a few (rich) friends at school who'd buy a lot of games for the Gameboy, PC Engine, SNES and Megadrive sight unseen. This was one of them. We had no idea of the heritage, or indeed how to play it! And of course, we thought it was the third game in a series of games called Lupin. So we gave up and played some more 5 player Dungeon Explorer.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
So Todd mentioned that Jigen and Goemon appeared briefly in the Lupin III game, but left out the important information. What about Fujiko?
Ciphony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to pop out of lurking for this.

Gasp! An Okami sequel?
Shame that it's on the DS. It'd be stunning as a wii/ps3 game, since the graphics on the DS are low-quality... The touch-screen use will probably work though. But... I don't know how comfortable it'll be without a stylus. I always end up losing mine.
Hopefully the story won't be hindered, though. If it's like the previous one, I'll be satisfied regardless of the art's quality.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd much prefer someone, anyone from Final Fantasy Tactics, perhaps the best game in the entire franchise.

I love you forever, Todd.

PS: I also love how all the Final Fantasy fanboys are coming out on this thread to whine. Whine, whine, whine. Just like every Final Fantasy hero touched by Tetsuya Nomura.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying Dissidia immensely - it is quite a diverse fighter, and let's face it, nice fanservice in terms of cross-over. But a game with a larger cast of characters would be amazing! Rydia was always my favorite in FF2/FF4... her or the twins.

Tales of VS sounds good too and appears to have more side characters involved.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Think they'll bring the new La Pucelle over? Maybe this time they can leave the crosses in.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Vs. sounds like it's got a far more balanced cast than Dissidia; I can see where Square was coming from with wanting all the heroes in one game, but there's only so many sword-wielding bishonen the mind can take! Luckily the villains are a more diverse bunch, and they seem to have gone out of their way to make the heroes play differently even when they're superficially similar, but I'd really like to see some of the more unique side characters thrown in with them.

On the other hand, the gameplay itself sounds like good fun. The best bet seems to be to enjoy Dissidia for what it is (assuming that's your kind of thing in the first place) and hope for a sequel.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Tales of Vs. sounds like it's got a far more balanced cast than Dissidia; I can see where Square was coming from with wanting all the heroes in one game, but there's only so many sword-wielding bishonen the mind can take! Luckily the villains are a more diverse bunch, and they seem to have gone out of their way to make the heroes play differently even when they're superficially similar, but I'd really like to see some of the more unique side characters thrown in with them.

On the other hand, the gameplay itself sounds like good fun. The best bet seems to be to enjoy Dissidia for what it is (assuming that's your kind of thing in the first place) and hope for a sequel.

Even though that's pretty much the golden rule of enjoying anything, it tends to follow a more straight line with Dissidia.

No game has ever been as uninfluenced by reviews and whatnot, be them positive or negative, as Dissidia has.

The game isn't mediocre or shitty. Yet it isn't amazing or awesome. Saying either is, well, pretty much bigoted elitist bullshit. It's pretty much impossible to score or rate it, either. Dissidia is 120% either "yo thang" or "not my groove." Much more so than any other game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4