• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Boys Over Flowers GN 36

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well...there is more after this.

There is a 37th volume. It came out recently.

http://books.shueisha.co.jp/CGI/search/syousai_put.cgi?isbn_cd=978-4-08-846305-6&mode=1

Anyways, not sure why you felt the characters needed to have sex to prove that they were in love. Well, the anime had them get married but I feel the manga seems more realistic in the end.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
wow, it's Ranma all over again.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
It always seems like the longer a shojo series is, the worse the ending. Bummer.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
It always seems like the longer a shojo series is, the worse the ending. Bummer.

Seemingly inavoidable. Going on that long means authors can't really have a ending in mind from the get-go...they've got to keep it going and sell magazines! This means when it finally comes time to wrap it up, they may be at a loss to do it worth a damn.
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
While I was horribly disappointed with the anime ending, I highly approved of the manga ending, although I've known about it for quite some time (I think I "spoiled" it for myself several years ago when I first got into the series and frantically searched to find out what happened "after" the anime). Of course, it's all a matter of taste. I personally hate "super happy endings" when there's romantic love involved; it's way too cheesy for my tastes. I really appreciate more "open-ended" conclusions, just because they're more realistic. I would have been really pissed if they had gotten married right then and there. I know a lot of people were originally a bit disappointed by turnout, but like therealssjlink mentioned, there is indeed an epilogue (and it IS good).

And as far as the "disappointment" some may feel at the couple not fully consummating their relationship/love, well, so what? I think the turn of events, no matter how unfortunate for Tsukasa, was more faithful to Tsukushi's character. But again, that's just me.
Ottervinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
The ending of the anime and the manga are still too horrible for me to think about. Sob. Seriously, I couldn't find a more unattractive (both in looks and personality) man than Doumyoji. Rui would have been so much better but now I'm rambling.

Uh-oh... er, red card time? ^^
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
"Bodice ripper". I do detest that term. Poor Bodicia, her name is so much maligned, it's even pronounced incorrectly. Rolling Eyes
I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out at first, but it still worked for me on second thought. Now I'm waiting for this volume 37 too, though further investigation shows it's going to be a thin one. I haven't seen the anime as yet. spoiler[I'm glad they didn't consummate their relationship, which BTW is suppose to be after the wedding, not before. (Kids these days. no wonder there is so much teen pregnancy about. Rolling Eyes) I believe it would have tainted the bond between them. Tsukasa is the kind of person who lives for the challange, and once he had reached his summit, so to speak, he moves on to the next. So on that bases, he wouldn't have the same feelings for her afterwards. 4 years is a long time to make love on the phone. Tsukushi would have lost the one thing she had that made her character such a delight to follow.] I'm just an old romantic. Smile
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
While I don't think that every story has to have a happy ending or wrap up every loose end, I do believe a long-running series should give some sort of closure to its fans. It's a slap in the face to invest your time, love, and money into a story that basically goes nowhere.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
For me, it was a dissapointment within the start. Forgive me for being black hearted, but half of volume one within, I already stopped giving one about the main characters, especially the female lead.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yup, huge let down of an ending. I got the feeling she simply ran out of ideas for obstacles to keep them from being together and just ended it hanging.

I'd really like to read thsi volume 37, though. I guess fans in Japan were as disappointed as we are. Is it getting an American release?

Oh, and Mohawk52, your complaints sort of nailed on the head the real problem of having teenage romances portrayed in life-or-death seriousness the way they are in so many shoujo manga. Give me a nice adult romance with an out-of-high-school cast like in Nodame Cantabile or Honey and Clover at this point, it feels more real.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This is why I never recommend this series. There's just no closure. Some romances succeed, some fail. Neither type ending is more realistic than others, except within the confines of its own particular story. But I do expect an *ending*.
retty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I love this series, but the ending was indeed somewhat of a dissapointment. I think the whole thing started going downhill about 2/3 of the way through (and i think i remember reading a note in one of the volumes from the author saying she wasn't sure she would even finish it because she didn't know how to (?)). It was much better than the silly and hurried ending of the anime, but less cute than the live action tv series (although that was pretty silly too). but to be honest i'm not sure how else it could have ended. There was just so much interference from Tsukasa's family that i didn't think it was going to end all that well. which is a shame. I think perhaps the meddling was a bit over done to the point where it was too hard to go back and just let them be happy.

The not having sex part was a bummer though. If they don't get to be together at the end, they could at least have had that night!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:
The not having sex part was a bummer though. If they don't get to be together at the end, they could at least have had that night!
I don't think Tsukushi would agree. Wink
aluria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
After reading this review, I'm quite happy the live-action series didn't follow suit. I got to see a wedding and an ending that indeed, felt like a closure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
This review actually upset me. While the manga had a few unnecessary filler arcs, the ending fit the story just fine. I personally consider this the best ending. The anime ending was a bit too random after the odd breakup right before it, the Taiwanese liveaction ending,... man season 2 was so bad I can't even remember, the JP liveaction ending... I honestly didn't want to see them getting married so soon. It felt really tacked on since they weren't "together" long enough and the characterization just got... very odd and didn't feel genuine anymore.

The ending was cute and funny, gave all the characters a chance to make their final farewell through their dance with Tsukushi, and ended with our pair together and happy. Why must all shoujo end with a damn wedding? GOOD JOB KAMIO for not ending on a wedding.

Also, personally, I think her art was at its best around volume 20. All the guys became way too feminine and young looking in the later volumes. Fortunately she somewhat fixed this in Cat Street.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2