• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Conflict and Chaos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Exactly, princess. Dissidia in my opinion, lived up to all its hype. It was the biggest import of the holiday season last year, and it could very well be (if not already) the game that has saved the Playstation Portable. The game gives you a ton of play hours with all of its amazing features which is a great thing in this day and age of disposable gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if Dissidia even winds up ranking among the greatest fighting games ever made.

Monster Hunter, and a slim revision saved the PSP.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
I liked Yuna more then Aerith who was even more boring but has a gazillion fanboys. I would love to see Rikku in there somewhere though. And why is FFXII always ignored like it didn't happen? Yes Vaan sucked but Ashe, Penelo, Fran, Balthier and even Larsa were good characters.

because most fans never played any earlier final fantasy than 7 and couldn't handle the series more return to the original story roots.

also, you forgot to mention Basch, the best character in FFXII imho
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Ciphony wrote:
Gasp! An Okami sequel?
Shame that it's on the DS. It'd be stunning as a wii/ps3 game, since the graphics on the DS are low-quality...
I believe you haven't seen the screenshots yet.

And on that note, have you seen Avalon Code and Matrix Software's outings on the DS?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice pics. Damn Okami. It's a great game but it was way too long. Which isn't a bad thing. I wonder how many people actually went through the game. Not many people bought it.

IT took a little over 40 hours to complete.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
It's a funny coincidence actually. I've been meaning to play Okami for ages and finally got around to it just recently. It's overall a very good game. The graphics and design all look great and the gameplay is really fun. The brush controls however, are rather finicky and unforgiving. The worst part is that often the key to performing a technique seems to be something rather different that what you are told. The Wii controls only serve to make matters worse (Although they also add a level of immersion). I think however, the DS stylus would be perfect and give a degree of control far greater than either the PS2 or Wii controls. (Ultimately though, I think the bulk of the problem lies in the recognition programming.) Anyway, I'd certainly love to see another Okami game, especially on the DS.

animehermit wrote:
because most fans never played any earlier final fantasy than 7 and couldn't handle the series more return to the original story roots.

Perhaps it's also because fans didn't care for the mind numbingly boring gameplay. I liked the characters from XII but It's tough to really remember them that fondly when they exist within a game I really struggled to find the will to finish.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Monster Hunter, and a slim revision saved the PSP.

I thought nobody liked Monster Hunter... Rolling Eyes
sfried

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Perhaps it's also because fans didn't care for the mind numbingly boring gameplay.
"PERHAPS THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF ALL TURN-BASED RPGS."

Words as empty as your soul, etc. I actually loved FFVI but didn't bother with FFVII after seeing my cousin stray past Midgard. It's as if the interest dropped off from there. It doesn't help that the Tetsuya Nomura-logic and Akiba-kei fashion influences start to creep in the series VII and onwards.

Anyways, Okami for DS seems like a perfect match. Hopefully I would eventually get around to it but with all of the DS holliday and next year releases (Scribblenauts, Phantasy Star 0, SMT: Strange Journey, etc.) I don't know if I'll find the time to play.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Perhaps it's also because fans didn't care for the mind numbingly boring gameplay.
"PERHAPS THE SAME CAN BE SAID OF ALL TURN-BASED RPGS."

Words as empty as your soul, etc.

The emptiness of my soul is irrelevant. Ultimately, it's true that RPGs are not for everyone. The emphasis on strategy and character building will simply not appeal to some. Of course there are plenty of people who do enjoy this kind of thing though, and won't find all RPGs boring. However I expect many will still find XII which is lacking in both the aforementioned qualities pretty dull. If you want to get really subjective about it, then fine. For people who enjoy a game where you sit and watch while your party automatically repeatedly attacks one interchangeable enemy after the other with no real strategy or use of special abilities or magic required, XII is not boring. For the other 99% of people, it is.

I don't deny that some people may have also disliked the more old school FF story. However, I really believe the gameplay was the biggest thing working against XII. That's why I can't stand the snobby attitude of some fans who act like anyone who didn't like XII just couldn't handle a more old school FF. A lot of people dislike it for other reasons.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Ikillchicken hasn't gone through as many great 2D games as we have sfried, but enough talk, Have at you!

Ikillchicken: as I've said a year ago, turn off the auto Gambit system. There is much more to XII's battle system then you give it credit for. True I take back my line about it being "Complex", but there was definitely more going on than Square's last couple entry's. Lack of an explorable outer world is just a let down for one.

That Gambit system you didn't seem to like, is like warping IMO on Oblivion. It's there to help the people who otherwise couldn't think for themselves. It's dumbed down to appeal for a wider audience. spoiler[You know, like Mac products or English Dubbing ] Without it, a lot of people wouldn't be the gamers or "fans" they claim to be today. Laughing

You've heard that Nintendo plans to give their games the "finishes the level for you/ mode" in case their owner couldn't possibly finish the game themselves? Yeah. Maybe the latest Alone in the Dark game was on to something. Sad

I do agree with you about XII though, I enjoyed it a lot but I just couldn't bring myself to finish the game.I killed the Demonwall (the throwback to 4) saved it,and never went back.
sfried

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
More delicious Okamiden footage courtesy of Famitsu, proving it can be done. (Copy and paste the link on your browser if it gives you a 403.)
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
You've heard that Nintendo plans to give their games the "finishes the level for you/ mode" in case their owner couldn't possibly finish the game themselves? Yeah. Maybe the latest Alone in the Dark game was on to something. Sad

Actually, they've stated that the game won't save if you ever progressed through the feature, meaning if you want to complete the game, you'd still have to do it fair and square.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
as I've said a year ago, turn off the auto Gambit system. There is much more to XII's battle system then you give it credit for. True I take back my line about it being "Complex", but there was definitely more going on than Square's last couple entry's. Lack of an explorable outer world is just a let down for one.

Yeah, actually that's one thing I appreciated about XII is the massive size of the world and huge sprawling pathways to explore. However, I found the lack of much anything in them sort of made it a bit pointless. Initially I explored everywhere but pretty soon I realized there isn't anything special to find out there. You can buy all the magic, skills and equipment in stores.

As for the battle system, yeah, I'll concede there was a lot going on with it. My complaint however would be that the many options available to you are largely either useless or interchangeable. The best strategy I found was just to give everyone swords of some kind and spam attack. Cure when needed. Because of this, both with the gambit system on and off I found things pretty dull.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Eh, making everyone identical with licenses was the boring way out. I always divided my characters into 2 parties of 3, and focused on specializing those 3 in distinct roles(Technick-Tanking/Melee, Healing/Buff/Time Magic, and either another Melee with Steal or a full out caster with all the magic, except Balthier, he was Guns). It gave some challenge, and let me play the parties in a more traditional group role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Off Topic: spoiler[ It is the boring way out but, I did it both ways.

1. Kept every party member with the default class of weapon. Upgrading as I went.

2. Equip everyone with the goddamn axe and shield and walked right through the game. Laughing Well, up to the demonwall at least.

Don't get me wrong, I love Final Fantasy. I own nearly all of them. I've been there since the beginning. I'm a big fan of Squares past titles. Especially the Ivalice universe (Tactics, Vagrant Story, you know..) I've even gone out of my way to grab the fan made "undub" of it. (That's right, "Un-dub". Check it out. It's the complete removal of all the spoken English in a video game, and replaced with the Japanese audio. )

Ikillchicken was mentioning that he was disappointed by the way 12 was setup. The battle system and the gambit system.]

Back on topic, Okamiden and Muramasa are my next purchases. I need something to do on my DS after getting Level 255 on Castlevania OoE. (Lipiste dominates all). That took about 40 hrs. Bring on Okamiden. Muramasa,just because I get all Otaku over 2D, hand drawn, anything! That shit's mine. Very Happy
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Back on topic, Okamiden and Muramasa are my next purchases. I need something to do on my DS after getting Level 255 on Castlevania OoE. (Lipiste dominates all).
If you're grinding in Order of Ecclesia just to finish it, you're playing it wrong...(there is a dodge button and No Hit Medals for a reason.)

However, if you're just trying to get everything... (took a while for my Shanoa to have her Owl squadron.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4