• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-09-09

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Sadly that's how a lot of friendships are. Beyond the shared interests, people oftentimes don't know that much about each other.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Something like this comic was exactly the reason I broke off my relationship with my 'best friend' of five years.

Yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
This is the type of relationship even non-anime fans may have. Even otaku should blush at this.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder what game they're playing? Very Happy Sorry, I'm a hardcore otaku. Don't worry Paola I too have a box of mercury memorabilia. "Mercury Bubbles!?" Are you kidding me? That's so ****ing MOE! YEAH! Laughing
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
God thats soo true I hate people like that.
Satiety

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
oh man, this is apparently true... I can name several people who are like that (including me) Embarassed
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I mutually broke up with a girlfriend once because we realised that we knew little about one another outside of Anime. Anime had originally brought us together when I found out she was a fan of Shoujo and lent her my RahXephon boxset (go figure). However, virtually all of our conversations were about Anime or Manga, or people who watched Anime and Manga, and so on. You can't build an entire relationship just on a mutual hobby. Yes, a friendship, but not a relationship.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
It's important to have deeper bonds of friendship than just anime. Me and my group of friends holds much deeper bonds than that. While we are fans of anime and other things (IE: Simpsons) we have deeper friendship, the other day in fact we all went to to my best friend's birthday we're we had a Pizza at a pizza place with his family and then we went to my house (long story involving my best friend's family, disabilities and the closure of the Bay Bridge), hung out, played video games, went to a Game Stop and went to the local Sushi place.

Anime is just the catalyst for our friendship.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well, what is friendship other than the exchange of thoughts on and the mutual enjoyment of shared interests?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
Geez Nina, when in doubt, go for the origin story... you know she likes to draw.

@penguintruth: ancient Cardassian proverb says "A friend is just an enemy who doesn't have the guts to kill you."
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ugh, there's so much truth in this that it hurts...

I can't really talk to my friends (any, whether they like anime or not) about anything. Most of my Live Messenger chats with a couple of my friends actually do deal with anime. *sigh* Well, at least I do know that they have siblings (was never told nor have I asked for their names though)...

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, what is friendship other than the exchange of thoughts on and the mutual enjoyment of shared interests?

Uh, there's this whole "general interest, care and concern for another person outside of simple personal taste or hobbies".
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Hey! Tomokazu Seki x Ayako Kawasumi is THE best anime on-screen couple!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Yup... thats how some friendships are. But I think Nina's will survive this.... Wink
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
...I found out she was a fan of Shoujo and lent her my RahXephon boxset...

Um... how do those go together at all? Or are you just pointing out she can watch anime that isn't shoujo?

And sadly, I've known a few people that I met over anime and over time stopped talking to, because that was all we had in common. Currently, my best friend and I have known each other for years and used to do all kinds of school/church type activities together. Then one day I lent him Bleach and Kenshin, and a new dimension was added to our friendship. We've known each other for 7-8 years, and still hang out all the time. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4