• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video, Anime Sales Drop Further in 2009's 1st Half

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Man, looks like BD is the new HD-DVD. Rolling Eyes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
If they stopped with 2 episodes per disc and went exclusively for 3-6 episodes per disc, that might help along with the price we pay here for that amount.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
Japanese studio have indeed been nickle and diming the hell out of their fans for years, in a very music industry mold, but it seems now they are at last feeling the backlash.

The reverse importing business is a bad ploy, to stop fans getting a better deal. I'm glad its backfiring on them at last, because tech savvy fans know they can easily download stuff now, however, the rise in BD and anime on disc overall, shows they do want to buy higher quality, just not get ripped off in the process.

Give japanese fans a better deal, like we all enjoy, and maybe they might buy more. We don't want them to go out of business, just to be fair, and even the downloading might be cut down too. Its a shame japanese fans can't be more vocal about it, otherwise they might get what they want faster..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Japanese studio have indeed been nickle and diming the hell out of their fans for years, in a very music industry mold, but it seems now they are at last feeling the backlash.

The reverse importing business is a bad ploy, to stop fans getting a better deal. I'm glad its backfiring on them at last, because tech savvy fans know they can easily download stuff now, however, the rise in BD and anime on disc overall, shows they do want to buy higher quality, just not get ripped off in the process.

Give japanese fans a better deal, like we all enjoy, and maybe they might buy more. We don't want them to go out of business, just to be fair, and even the downloading might be cut down too. Its a shame japanese fans can't be more vocal about it, otherwise they might get what they want faster..
The way I see it, the Japanese anime industry is using a business model that's more cut throat than their music industry. If you would look at the anime production companies like music groups, then what you're seeing is the anime production companies are paying their sponsors to make their songs, using ideas like lyrics and melodies that weren't originally theirs to begin with.

Speaking of the rise in BD and anime on disc sales, let's not forget that OTOH the Japanese anime media market had shrunk almost 10% as of last year. This is backed by the reduced rental of anime, which means that less people are watching anime using physical copies as a result.

The unusual growth in anime BD market can be simply due to the fact that Japan got more anime series released in BD, while BD is the only HD format there is. And the fact that the total anime BD sales is still just 6.6% of the total market, means that the actual Japanese anime BD market is relatively small. Regardless the wide selection and the monopoly of HD format. This is also being supported by the fact that only 32.7% of the BD rental were anime related. And when you factor that with the fact that the Japanese anime media market is shrinking, this means that the huge anime BD sale growth will only be temporary. When anime DVD is still the biggest market, while putting anime on BD aren't making more people buying anime BD in the BD market.

This is of course the market of anime for general audiences in Japan we're speaking. Because who knows just how bad the adult anime market is doing, for the adult anime industry to use this shameless promotion tactic.

Finally, the reason why that Japanese anime fans aren't so vocal as they should be, is because of the fact that the rest of the Japanese populace tend to hold prejudice against anime and their fans overall. After all, compared to manga, anime is but a lonely hobby in Japan, or is it?

I'm starting to think that the recession isn't the biggest, if not the only reason why the Japanese anime market is doing so bad.

Last edited by DomFortress on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Ehhh, just a joke. Noticed Kadokawa's comment yesterday, first time they've admitted any negativity associated with Endless, and I've been following the Haruhi Endless drama with amusement. Though I was disappointed as well. I'm aware of the bigger issue.
There was no negativity expressed by Kadokawa in that article. All of it was invented in translation by failkaku. The line you mentioned earlier was the typical business sense "We hope our product sells well." Given that the sales for season twos are nearing half of the first season's sales across the board, it's an appropriate comment.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
If they stopped with 2 episodes per disc and went exclusively for 3-6 episodes per disc, that might help along with the price we pay here for that amount.
The Japanese cost breakdown is very different from the US cost breakdown. Lowering the price will not help them gain much, if anything, for most series. They have experimented with it at times but what really seems to help sales for more popular series is actually making it more expensive and including highly desirable extras.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
There was no negativity expressed by Kadokawa in that article. All of it was invented in translation by failkaku. The line you mentioned earlier was the typical business sense "We hope our product sells well."

Sankaku got it right. “Well… All that can be said is that it would be nice if they sell, wouldn’t it?” is a perfectly valid translation of "u-n, urete hoshii naa, to shika iemasen ne"

Quote:
Given that the sales for season twos are nearing half of the first season's sales across the board,

That's because all that's come out so far is the first DVD, which doesn't contain any Endless Eight episodes.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
Sankaku got it right. “Well… All that can be said is that it would be nice if they sell, wouldn’t it?” is a perfectly valid translation of "u-n, urete hoshii naa, to shika iemasen ne"

That translation has multiple negative connotations and implications that were not in the original Japanese, thus it is a very poor translation. (Namely, insinuating that Kadokawa expects poor sales.)

Buster D wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Given that the sales for season twos are nearing half of the first season's sales across the board,

That's because all that's come out so far is the first DVD, which doesn't contain any Endless Eight episodes.
That statement was a global statement, not just a Haruhi specific statement.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Buster D wrote:

That translation has multiple negative connotations and implications that were not in the original Japanese, thus it is a very poor translation. (Namely, insinuating that Kadokawa expects poor sales.)

I won't deny that the connotation is there a little bit. The "to shika iemasen" = (all I can say) construction is very often used when someone is "resigned to a certain fate". Like say: "A: I totally didn't study for the test! B: Well, all I can say is, good luck, man. {Ganbare! ...to shika iemasen, ne?}"

e.g. it's usually used in a context where the person doesn't really expect the positive outcome.

I'd translate it more as
"Well, all I can say is that I hope it sells." What sankaku put changes "hoshii" to "ii" (I hope -> it would be nice) for some reason, and flips what is clearly a personal opinion to a 3rd person statement about the situation (the use of hoshii always implies talking about one's own emotions)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2