• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is...
Naruto Shippuuden is going to die a horrible, noob-filled death.

It was going so well for Viz. They had all their shows on CN, but they pulled the final straw with this great screw-up.

This has got to be THE BIGGEST FACEPALM since Cardcaptor Sakura got turned into Cardcaptors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Charlie_Conway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
disney = epic fail

Oh wow how original. Great contribution you must feel really cool using "epic fail" and bashing Disney thats great.

sonickid101 wrote:
but by putting Shippuden on a Disney network? thats just telling us its ok to download anime.

because buying the dvds isn't an option at all. Rolling Eyes
sonickid101 wrote:
Besides how is this going to improve the franchise, their audience knows it on cartoon network, so are they trying for a new audience? thats retarded, who would understand it? and how would their old audience know its on disney? it seems like a bad idea on viz's part, but they've always been sell outs, and the only licences they need are naruto and bleach, so lets hope the other dubbing companies wolnt be sucked into disneys uncreative hands

Cartoon Network wont air Naruto simple as that. I don't see how its such a bad idea or how they're selling out by moving to another network because Naruto pretty much got cancled on CN. Also I don't see how you expect to be taken seriously with your biased elitist remarks, and atrocious spelling.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Board rules? Laughing I post at a number of boards and most have "no downloading discussion" rules. I always forget this one isn't quite as strict about and was trying to a) break any rules and/or b) derail the discussion (which can happen, IMO, when you start discussing anything related to any type of alternate methods fans may be using to view things).

Er, I think you've missed my point. My "alternative methods" included everything you mentioned, not just "or other means (legal or not)" i.e. fansubs; if I wanted to talk about fansubs I'd use your words with quotation marks. Furthermore, ANN never allows discussing details about illegal downloading.

MeggieMay wrote:
What is that commercial for, anyway? I take it it is for some type of Anime network but is it on TV, Pay Per View, Video On Demand, Online Streaming/Downloading, or something else?

That's Chunghwa Telecom's Multimedia on Demand (MOD), mentioned once in this news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
but by putting Shippuden on a Disney network? thats just telling us its ok to download anime.

Wait, what?

I'm not sure I follow your logic here... It's okay to download it even though there is legal streaming and a Simulcast of it subtitled and uncut plus uncut DVD's?

People just need to get over it. It won't effect you. It'll just bring in a possible new audience. Current Naruto/Naruto Shippuden fans can keep on watching the newest episodes straight from Japan legally.

As I said before, this is not like when 4Kids had One Piece. That was a situation where illegally watching/downloading the anime online subtitled was your only option of seeing One Piece as it should be.

It's not the same here. There's no reason to complain here.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
All I can say is...
Naruto Shippuuden is going to die a horrible, noob-filled death.

It was going so well for Viz. They had all their shows on CN, but they pulled the final straw with this great screw-up.

This has got to be THE BIGGEST FACEPALM since Cardcaptor Sakura got turned into Cardcaptors.

Wow you joined just to tell us that. This and Cardcaptors are two differnt situations
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
shadowysea07 wrote:
as for buying them i'm glad some people are rich enough that they can blow 40 bucks for a couple of eps.

Wow... just wow. I don't know how I'd react to someone like you if we were in the same room having this discussion but somehow I think the police would be involved.

When I bought a Pioneer DVD player back in 2000 saving up the money I had from my first job of the Summer, it costed $300.

Anime DVDs ranged from $24-30 each and they had 4 episodes, 5 if I was lucky. Even then that's WAY better than Japanese DVD releases that were lucky to have TWO episodes back in in the day and those cost as much as a VIDEOGAME over there at the time (maybe they still do).

Spending 40-50 bucks for 13-16 episodes isn't highway robbery, at least not on the part of the consumer. That's a sweet freaking deal.

There's MANY expenses in life you could probably do without. Anime is a luxury, not an entitlement. In the long run buying the DVDs would do you a WHOLE lot better than a year of service with Toon Disney as many people have noted.

Maybe when you start working for your pennies instead of getting pansy allowance from Mommy and Daddy you'd actually find that as far as entertainment, DVDs and boxsets that 40 bucks isn't "rich people money" to spend. My brother buys DVD boxsets every other week for anime and HBO shows and he's STRUGGLING to pay his rent. If he can do that with his 9-5 job surely you can scrape apart a couple of bucks working at a McDonalds (I assume you're not even 16 yet though) to spring for some DVDs.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Dude, for your information, I've been an anime fan since I was 9. I'm a junior in college now. So FYI, it would be to your advantage to STFU.
Really? Can you recite the history for anime or manga from 1979 to 2009? You must also know of the videogame history from 1970-2009? Hmm? Mention a series, I will tell you all about it, what format it was on, what it relates to, and how it has already been done years prior.

You see, I've been into the fandom since 1981. I've played, watched, collected and archived anime and videogames every damn day. I live and breath the industry/fandom, so when I say that you will witness the next generation of children (through Disney) re-shape the industry with their wallets, you had better believe me. Usually takes about ten years to play out. Besides, You in no way should have taken offense to my comment. You are in college, right? I'm sure you can come up with something better than "STFU". Laughing

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
HYPOCRITE. Almost all of us are hardcore otaku, asshat.
Almost, no doubt. Alright, 1. ("asshat" tells me that you are not from America ) 2. I have rarely seen anyone on this site with any knowledge more than just the newest shows,(MODs excluded) or what was/is playing on T.V. (Dub) Hardcore is not the majority here.It's also evident in the way they package anime in America, now a days. It's thrifty and poorly made, not challenging to find and collectible any more.

MugenKeiji wrote:
Spending 40-50 bucks for 13-16 episodes isn't highway robbery, at least not on the part of the consumer. That's a sweet freaking deal.
I know, right. Anime has never been as cheap and as available, as it is right now. I'm still shocked after seeing the prices, when I last went to update my collection. Cheap!
shadowysea07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
well what you consider cheap and what i consider cheap are in 2 completly different ballparks.
i still can't believe the horrible post i read i don't know if they were joking or not about jiraiya being in the next kingdom hearts DX. thats just plain stupid like he'd be in kingdom hearts last time i checked disney doesn't have the license.
herbkir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Naruto Shippuden being picked up by Disney X D was a bit of a surprise, but hardly the disaster so many folks seem to think it will be. Disney in recent years has had a good record in handling anime.

I think they know exactly what they are buying -- a show that will bring in to X D the upper elementary boys and junior high boys they want on board. And I think they will be careful with their edits and not be butchering the show for fear of alienating their audience.

As to CN passing on this, no surprise. They've been moving away from anime for some time now as part of their general drift toward more live-action programming.

Lastly, having more anime on TV is a good thing because it will help expand the fanbase. So don't give yourself a wedgie over this. (^_*)
siradix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
What anime series has Disney been involved with?

I know Disney has aired anime shows like:

Sailor Moon
Oban Racers
Beyblade
Battle B-Daman
Digimon Data Squad
Pucca (Not really an anime)
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Sonic X
Digimon Adventure
Medabots
Kirby Right Back At Ya!
Shinzo
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Yeah you know alot of the appeal for Shippuden is that it was alot more mature then the original and with Disney as the channel showing it it's gonna be edited all to hell.

I's official. I'm gonna scream "BLOODY MURDER' on this.

This is like a nightmare case senario. First ADV film and Central Part Media going belly hop wasn't bad enough but this???

Can somebody say "4kids One Piece version Part 2"???

Even i know it's going to get the 4kids treatment. If it was on CN, it wouldn't be as severly edited like with Naruto and it's better off on CN or it's AS block cause i don't see the sense of CN showing the Naruto movies if their not gonna bring it's sequel.

This is going to fail as worse as the 4kids debacle cause this will have people watching it's subbed version on hulu more and that 4kids TV version less in droves.Not to mentioned this news will have rippers streaming the dvd version on theit websites. In fact i actually found dub versions ep 1-4 on sites like myspace,veoh and megavideo a month ago.now it'll be out in spades meaning less viewers for the TV version and less money for viz.

I dont know about you guys but unless this news is false, i'll be on hulu watching it's subbed version(which will be the first anime i ever watched subbed) and then buy the DVD for the uncut dub version.

Also i'll be setting up a petition requesting that they (viz) change their minds and either rebroadcast it on AS/CN or dont show it on TV at all cause it may mean the end for the US dubbing if a 4kids style version of this shows on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
How the mighty hath fallen!

Narutards can't believe they'd actually be watching a Disney channel - and on a premier tier at that! Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Still, the channel is the next logical place to go to (Disney's a little more anime-friendly than either CN or Nick right now) and the deal might work out pretty well for both Viz (exposure for top property) and Disney (more attention to channel, more trust in brand).

[Note: "X-D" only because the letters create an emoticon without the hyphen]

Are you really seriously joking???

It's either 1) your a mega disney freak, 2) dont know crap about anime & not a true anime otaku or 3) I guess you haven't seen the sub versions of digimon season 4 and data squad cause die hard dubbers says their sub versions are better than those things.

I'd say all of the above.
Here's some facts newbie.

#1 ) If it wasn't for the 4kids debacle of One Piece and Shaman King, they would have been known as anime killers. Just because CN is showing live action on a limites basis dont mean anything.

#2) the CN edited versions of MAR,Prince of Tennis and Gatch Bell were much better than ay of the anime disney showed cause ther 100% kid friendly like 4kids wheres CN's broadcasts were left mildly edited which pleased the anime communtiy.

And #3)Get the facts man. Shippuden + Disney = ENOROMUS FAILURE AND THE END OF ANIME ON TV!!! PERIOD!!!! Unless you really want that to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
batou65

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
*sigh*

It doesn't actually affect me since I would rather watch it subbed (and I do buy the dvds), but I'll just say what I've already said elsewhere: Disney can go suck Devastator's shiny steel testicles.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
that may be the case but for die hard dubbers like myself is a serious concern.

It's the same response on the Official Naruto Shippuden newspage

Just like the ediots in Congress trying to take over Health Care, Viz had awakened the sleeping giant after it was laid to rest when Funi licensed One Piece. I wont be susprised that they go belly hop like CPM for doing something so completely stupid.They got into trouble with fans for debunking the dubs for Ranma 1/2 & for Eyeshield 21, so this kind of 4kids decision is going to ruin their rep & the series for the US,make people watch fansubs or abridged spoofs even more and haved the uncut dub epsiodes on DVD pirated and illegaly streamed more times than one piece which is the most pirated series period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 16