• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Yu Yu Hakusho Anime Heroes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you really padded that review out, what with all the character background and whatnot. I guess the mediocre ones are the hardest to write about.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Who's Itsuki?

Surprised that neither of the announcers from the Dark Tournament (fox/bat) made the gashopon line.

Really lame about Keiko though.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember too much about Itsuki either. What do I recall is spoiler[when Sensui died, he was the guy who took his body away and disappeared into some dimension... or something. I thought that (and Itsuki himself, for that matter) was kind of creepy.]
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Even though they look like crap, I still kind of want them. Embarassed I never liked Keiko, so I'd gladly give a pass on her, but I'd definitely want the Yoko Kurama and Bishounen Koenma figures, though. Very Happy

They probably included Itsuki to please the yaoi fangirls, since he was in love with Sensui... (that's my theory for the toy, anyway...)

Last edited by Julia-the-Great on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I agree with your rating, but I have to admit that it's exciting to see YYH still in the news, even for something like this.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Itsuki the bishie demon who Sensui was going to kill, but he asked to live because he was watching a tv drama & wanted to see the end?

These seem more the type of figure you buy till you get your fav one or 2 & then quit.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Who's Itsuki?

Thankfully since i just rewatched my DVDs a few weeks ago, I remembered! Itsuki is Sensui's second-in-command, aka "Gatekeeper." He's the creepy guy who's mad in love with Sensui, and all he does is meditate on a boat in the cave.

So yeah. There's the reason for your blandness...at the same time, WTF!? They should have put him in a meditative pose... It'd be at least just a wee bit more interesting that way...

That said... No matter how bland these are, if they had made a Doctor figurine, it would've been a winner. The dude's just full of potential.
topleka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Any Yu Yu merchandise makes me happy. I would probably spring a couple bucks for some of these, too.

Pity that Yoko Kurama and teen Koenma are only secrets, though. I'd much prefer them over Sensui or Itsuki. I only vaguely recall the Sensui arc. It was a little uninspired.

Also, I'm pretty sure Mukuro is clasping her hands because they are bound together.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Muguro has her hands like that because, if I'm remembering correctly, she was handcuffed in the front at an early age (or something). So yeah, it's little consolation for the lack of Keiko (which is BS) but it's something. Then again, maybe I'm completely remembering wrong (I'm not going to bust out the DVD's to check).

The prices on these things always kill me, and make me end up just getting one, if any. 4 dollars for a toy that didn't cost a fraction of that to make? Meh. I love YYH (Blu-Ray releases coming soon in Japan, I can't wait) but this is a pass for me.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:14 am Reply with quote
Ah Yu Yu Hakusho... that takes me back.

Bah, others have beaten me to it but I'll second the explanations of Itsuki and Muguro.

Itsuki was Sensui's second and pretty much did nothing but meditate on a boat and expand the portal... I think he also trapped Kuwabara, Hiei and Kurama in another dimension while Yusuke and Sensui fought. I too have to question his inclusion because he barely had a role.

Muguro's hands are clasped together... for reasons that escape me. All I remember is that I noticed her hands being bound for most, if not all, of the Three Kings Saga.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
Frankly, you had me at gashapon. Crappy or not, I find them all pretty irresistible.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
topleka wrote:

Pity that Yoko Kurama and teen Koenma are only secrets, though. I'd much prefer them over Sensui or Itsuki. I only vaguely recall the Sensui arc. It was a little uninspired.

Haw. Anime cry That was actually my favorite arc.

I honestly found the Three Kings Saga to be the uninspired one... It was rushed as hell, and something of a cop-out. Anime cry
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Itsuki was... that one character who I heard a lot about before I actually got to see him in the manga/show, because he was all controversial because he was canonically gay. I was kind of like "In a shonen manga? Wow, that's unusual."

And I waited for it and waited for it and finally he showed up and I couldn't see it. Maybe I'm just jaded about creepy henchmen or "I'm gon' kill you" nakama, because I couldn't see it at all. I got the distinct feeling that I was being lied to for all those years.
raidou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
yeah I would't mind owning a couple of them but not the whole set;
although it would of been cool if they had other super forms like Toguro's 120% form, Hiei's demon form, and Yusuke's demon form along with Yoko kurama. oh well YYH is still cool anway Very Happy
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but why Yomi is rubbing his shoulder, Raizen is awaiting a double high-five and Muguro has her hands clasped coquettishly in front of her is beyond me

Wait, didn't you say that you watched all the anime? Wink

Anyway, I agree about these gashapon: they aren't really good. Too bad, I just finished watching this series few days ago and I would love to buy some good merchandise about its characters. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2