• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Nabari no Go

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
great poster collection...

i would LOVE to have few of those Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky Star posters myself...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
I wish I had a poster collection as big as that. Other than posters from anime mags, the only poster I have is a Dragon Ball Z poster I got from Kmart.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
My room used to look kinda like that- I've since given up the poster-collage-wallpaper look for framed pieces, which I greatly prefer (and it's not as expensive as one might think.)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Nabari on the funimation website and I agree, the plot just isn't that interesting. I've also read the manga and I really like where it's going now but before this arc, eehhhhhhh.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I love the room!

She has Genki Volume 2 on her bookshelf! Anime hyper That's my Japanese 201 textbook.
Yumeka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hi, this is Alia, the person whose anime collection got featured in this Shelf Obsessed. The link to my blog didn't appear on the column so I'm posting it here if anyone's interested =)

EDIT: Bamboo went and added the link on the column. Thanks! And thanks to everyone for the compliments!

Last edited by Yumeka on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
spoony wrote:

She has Genki Volume 2 on her bookshelf! Anime hyper That's my Japanese 201 textbook.

that was my 200 level book as well. can't say i perfer it over yookoso! though.
i'm interested in getting oofuri but there are a lot of other shows im putting before it. honey and clover tomorrow anyone?? Smile Smile Smile
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Incredible collection, especially the posters obviously! I'm very jealous of the autographed Code Geass one particularly. I like to frame all the posters I get (except for a Soul Eater one, which I bought without noticing the bottom was uneven), which is expensive because they've all had to be custom-fitted so far, so I only have posters of One Piece, FLCL, and Naruto, but the framing makes them really attractive to the eye IMHO.

Dragonball Season 1 is definitely an eventual buy (maybe if I have some cash during the next FUNi TSRI sale, though I also need the second-beyond sets of Heroic Age and D. Gray-man). Big-Windup will definitely be bought eventually. Nabari, I'll probably wait for a complete collection, after watching the first episode on FUNi's Youtube channel, I found it good, but not worth buying immediately.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Um, isn't the whole point of Nabari no Ou that it's supposed to be a satire of ninja shows like Naruto? Nothing about it, IMO, is meant to be taken seriously. I think you're doomed to disappointment if you watch it expecting a serious action show. Humor, and poking at all the tropes of the genre, is the point.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I've been watching Nabari on the funimation website and I agree, the plot just isn't that interesting. I've also read the manga and I really like where it's going now but before this arc, eehhhhhhh.

I only got through the first half before it was licensed, and would give it a "rental" rating as well. I am actually quite fond of the art and character designs, and the music by Oshima Michiru is great. But the plot in the first half was rather bland. It does show some promise with a few interesting elements, especially the odd relationship between Miharu and Yoite, not to mention its position that none of these ninjas can really be considered "good guys" or "bad guys." These elements make me very interested in watching the second half once its released to see if it makes good on these elements. But so far, if you want a really good ninja series, watch Basilisk.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Um, isn't the whole point of Nabari no Ou that it's supposed to be a satire of ninja shows like Naruto? Nothing about it, IMO, is meant to be taken seriously. I think you're doomed to disappointment if you watch it expecting a serious action show. Humor, and poking at all the tropes of the genre, is the point.

Er, you're probably thinking of Ninnin ga shinobuden? Nabari no ou is not a parody of anything. It takes itself pretty seriously, it has a big dramatic story and everything, especially the manga (which I liked until it became a thinly veiled Yoite/Miharu love story).
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice shel... walls, Alia! I see some awesome posters. And you have a nice little DVD collection too. Smile

Nabari has a truckload of potential, but it's wasted on a snooze-fest of a story that isn't very well explained either. And the main character grates on my nerves with his apathy. I mean, the very first episode he gets saved like 4 times and each time is an ungrateful bastard, or he disappears! Hoo boy, sooo funny. I'd like to smack him. That's the problem with Kurokami as well. The main character just watches a pretty little girl get beat on in every episode. He just stands there, even though, like Miharu, he has special powers.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wish I had a poster collection as big as that. Other than posters from anime mags, the only poster I have is a Dragon Ball Z poster I got from Kmart.

I have a small wall filled with the occasional poster, plus promotional flyers handed to me at a convention. It's not as flashy, but it's still diverting and more personal than bare wallpaper. Some DVD releases are shipped with this sort of thing within their keep cases: my Elfen Lied thinpak contained a nice postcard, and the Evangelion Death and Rebirth poster you can see on Alia's wall comes from Manga's DVD release of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Why so they still call these things "season 1 part 1"? Sure, it made sense with FMA where there really was more than 1 season, but as far I know, Oofuri only has 1-26 episode season, so why call it "s1 p1" and not just "p1"? They've been doing this for a while now...
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Her room reminds me of mine. Anime hyper

Is it just me or is it that in the picture with Lelouch, Suzaku and Kallen that Lelouch's hair is very short? D:

And Bamboo makes me want to own Big Windup so badly. ;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3