• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei, William Winckler Prod., Rioloco Dub 23+ Features

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Ashita no freaking Nadja? What a dream come true! I've wanted to see that show since forever. Not to mention that seeing it juxtaposed against all these space operas and MANLY FIST shows is inappropriately hilarious.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I see, these "features" are all supposed to be compilation movies. I was expecting something a little different for a brief moment there.

I would imagine that saves a lot of time and resources as far as the production of dubs goes, but in terms of content the results might be uneven, to say the least, depending on each series.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Donald F. Glut mentioned on a forum over a year year ago that he was dubbing Gaiking. David Gerrold isn't even an actor, AFAIK.
I hope there will be subs for these as well, but I'm not holding my breath.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I'm surprised!! I would have never thought that dubbing old material would have been profitable. I'm not trying to stop them or anything but I can't wonder what the chances are that this won't fall under.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ashita no Nadja!!!? D: really? no foolin?

Anime cry i'm so happy

(i've also always wanted to see Lun Lun too. So I'll definitely check that out as well)
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow! They're dubbing a lot of classical anime! Maybe they'll license and dub some modern anime too! I wanna see them dub shows like Candy Candy or Lady Lady or even some World Masterpiece Theater anime!!!
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I see, these "features" are all supposed to be compilation movies. I was expecting something a little different for a brief moment there.

I would imagine that saves a lot of time and resources as far as the production of dubs goes, but in terms of content the results might be uneven, to say the least, depending on each series.

so wait, are these movies or the actual series? The article is confusing because I don't know of some of the "sequels" mentioned.. like Captain Harlock. There's a TV series and a subsequent movie AFAIK.

It's already impressive that that much old stuff is being dubbed and it would be even more so if they were TV eps. But I don't see GE999 tv and other titles in the GE universe that never saw an R1 release in that list...

Now I'm curious about one thing: since the same cast in doing all of these, does that mean that all Toei shows will end up sounding the same?
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Kitaro's Graveyard Gang? Is this the English name for the beloved "Ge-Ge-Ge no Kitaro"? Anime hyper
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I instantly thought of Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu when I saw this (especially since Toei seemed to be trying to push it back at Anime Expo 2007 - got a cool t-shirt out of it!). Too bad that never happened, it was a fun show. This is still quite a development, though - I'm looking forward to seeing the final products.
mrsatan wrote:
Donald F. Glut mentioned on a forum over a year year ago that he was dubbing Gaiking. David Gerrold isn't even an actor, AFAIK.
I hope there will be subs for these as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out!
Don Glut on that forum wrote:
Never knew I could do this, just something I stumbled into and don't even really enjoy. Just another job!

How...encouraging... >_>
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't say that I'm too interested in these titles, but I might want to hear some Robert Axelrod.
rinjichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Are they editing the series down into movie length..? That's the impression I got from the article.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
At first I was excited to hear that these classical shows will get a dub but then looking at the roster and their indifference towards the medium has me gravely worried into how the dubs will turn out.

I'm afraid we may wind up with something from the days of Carl Macek's dubs. Sad
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Of my group of friends, two of whom are Kitaro fans. I wonder what their reactions are going to be...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wait, they're planning on releasing spliced versions of their TV shows as movies?

Somebody stop Toei!!! They're not thinking straight!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, they're planning on releasing spliced versions of their TV shows as movies?

Somebody stop Toei!!! They're not thinking straight!

Well, would you rather not want any chance of these shows being released on DVD at all? Really, these shows would normally have no chance at being released on DVD at this point in time, so these compilation movies are the best bet. Yes, I too would rather want the actual shows in their entirety, but dubbing all of these shows in their entirety would not be economically feasible.

Of course, if these DVDs end up being dub-only then I too would have a big problem and would probably not buy them, but at the same time I fully see this method as the only real way to get these shows on DVD anymore. Just because FUNimation is streaming the full shows of Harlock and Fist of the North Star doesn't mean that they'll pick up the entire shows, dub them, and release them on DVD.

In one sense you can call this a "neccessary evil".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3