• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crayon Shin-chan Anime's Continuation Moves Forward

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saiyajedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:10 am Reply with quote
I agree... after a fashion.

Sazae-san is exactly the reason why Crayon Shin-chan should be allowed to end. Sazae and her family, as well-loved as they may be, are relics of an earlier time and well beyond stale.

It's time to just let it go.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
When long running shows like this establish the popularity and good standing with families, then naturally its going to be hard for all involved to pull the plug.
Just look at The Simpsons. Should have ended years ago and yet its still going strong even though the show is well beyond stale in terms of what it offers.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
Sazae-san devoted vieweres seem to want to refuse to have the anime end after 40 years next month.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Big surprise. This is the #3 most popular anime series in Japan. No way it was dodging the Franchise Zombie fate.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Whilst my personal enjoyment from this show is limited, I should hope that a notable decline in originality won't become a hindrance over time. At least not a decline that could have been prevented by a continual supply of source material anyway.
Being an episodic show gives it a minor advantage in this respect; there are no overarching storylines to adhere to and resolve, rather a comedic status quo to maintain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Just look at The Simpsons. Should have ended years ago and yet its still going strong even though the show is well beyond stale in terms of what it offers.

Typical knee-jerk reply to any show which stays on the air more than three years. "It's stale. It's repetitive. It's not funny anymore." You wonder how many years it's been since these critics watched an episode. I hear it all the time: The Simpsons isn't funny anymore, Family Guy isn't funny anymore, South Park isn't funny anymore, nothing is funny anymore once its more than a few years old. I think some people have a simplistic sense of humor. They don't "get" jokes. They're only capable of laughing at situations. Once a show is no longer new, once the situation is familiar, they get bored.

Of course, part of what's kept The Simpsons on the air for 20 years is the versatility of the characters. Literally any situation can be adapted to Homer, Marge, & co. if the writers put their minds to it. I don't know that Crayon Shin-chan is that versatile.

------RM
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not like The Simpsons was only on a few seasons before it went downhill. It had a good eight or nine seasons.

Come on, it has gotten a bit stale, and off-track. They'll start an episode about one thing, it will become something else entirely, and then after the first break it becomes something entirely different again, like the writers have ADD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering what they're gonna do w/ the last manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1